Ring Contact Sensor Handler?

I was given a ring contact sensor gen 2 and have read in places that they work within ST. Is there a certain device handler needed?

I have tried scanning the QR, I have tried just letting the old and new app search for generic devices etc. Nothing is found. I also reset the contact sensor a few times as well.

Anyone that can help would be appreciated of course.

Jace

You may have to do a general exclusion first to clear out any old network information. Then it should add as a generic zwave contact sensor.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036462391-How-to-add-remove-Z-Wave-devices-

Also note that the smartthings hub does not yet support “ smartstart“ so you will have to follow the “classic“ methods as detailed in the sensor manual.

I was able to add it into ST once I changed it into classic inclusion.

Unfortunately the sensor just shows as open and does not respond or close. I checked and tried different device types within the IDE and nothing got it closed and responding.

Any ideas…

I’m sure that’s very frustrating. :rage: Hopefully someone who does have these working with smartthings will add to the thread.

I got them to work. I added the Ring Contact Sensor by scanning the QR code in the new app. Then follow the steps, keeping the sensor within 6inches of the hub, and scanning the QR code again for encryption. Once connected, go into IDE and change the device handler to Z-wave Plus Door/Window Sensor.

1 Like

Good news Folks. Got the Ring Contact Sensor 2nd Generation Z-Wave™ fully working and directly connected to ST hub.

First, thanks for posting the question. I found myself in the same dilemma and had to read through the threads in multiple forums to gather and understand all the information.

Here is what worked for me:

1. If the sensor is paired with Ring Base Station, Remove it from the Ring app and power cycle the sensor and then use a pin to disassociate the sensor with the base station. The app will let you know if that was successfully done. (See full details in the Ring Alarm Contact Sensor – Exclusion section of the PDF JDRoberts posted)

2. Power cycle sensor, then press and hold the button on the front of the device for ~3 seconds.
    Release the button and the device will enter Classic inclusion mode. Note the blink pattern will be lit Green three times, repeated after a brief pause. (See the PDF section Ring Alarm Contact Sensor – Inclusion for full details and reference the table of blink patterns.)

3. In the ST app, Add device by scanning the bar code on the sensor, and it will discover the device. Then you will have to scan code again just like plowdon1 had mentioned. The device will now show up in ST app.

4. Assuming you are familiar with the IDE (https://graph-na04-useast2.api.smartthings.com/), go to the list of Devices you own by navigating to Devices from the main menu. Find the contact sensor just added. When you choose the sensor, you will notice the device Type is Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor. It’s fine but does not allow for full functionality in ST app, for example, Battery reading is not accurate and times out, and automation does not have Open/Closed options.
    To fix this, create a new handler using From Example and pick the Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor. Modify the Name within the metadata section in the code so you can distinguish it when choosing the Type for your sensor in the next step; I just added Ring infront of the existing name:
    metadata {
    definition(name: “Ring Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor”,…
    Now click the Create button, and then choose to Publish > For me, so you can now use the Device Handler.

5. Go back to the list of Devices in the main menu and choose the contact sensor that you added in the previous steps. Edit the device and in the Type field, choose the Handler you just created in #4, i.e. Ring Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor. Update and cross your fingers :slight_smile:

6. Go to the ST app, refresh or restart the app to see that the app has updated the sensor with the new handler. Go to automation and you should see all the available choices.

Hope that works for you, as it did work for me. Others may have had a different experience or luck, but the device handler creation definitely did the trick for me.

To summarize:

• Add sensor in Inclusion mode
  • Create device handler in IDE
  • Change the Type for your device and use the new device handler

Now you can enjoy automations with the Ring contact sensor.

Good luck!

Etc

3 Likes

Hi Etc and thank you for your help.

Only one question for you: Why do we need to create a device handler which is copy of the existing one ? Why not use the existing one ?

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

I just did it on two ring door sensors. You don’t actually have to create a new sensor. You just have select the new sensor in the device list on the IDE and then click Edit and change the type to Zwave Plus Door/window sensor. It is currently listed as Zwave sensor. Once it is changed, it works as it should with in smart things.

1 Like

With stock Z-wave Plus Door/Window sensor DTH, Tamper Alert is not working, however with one self created it does. Downside with self created, there is no local execution

I am able to add the device but app only asks me to scan barcode once and my sensor always shows open. Is there a screen to scan barcode second time? In IDE, I updated the type to both new device handler I created (as per the instruction above) and also to stock zwave plus open door sensor handler but still sensor only shows status as open. Any suggestions?

I am having the same experience. Not sure where to go from here.

Ever figure this out? I was able to get 2 sensors working but 4 are not. I have no idea how it happened. I switched device handlers a few times and finally settled on the SmartSense one…which works…but only after I switch device handlers a bunch of times. It will not work if it is selected first.

Something is off. The ring Devices use Z wave. The SmartSense sensor is for a zigbee device. They cannot be used together, The Z wave device won’t know what to do.

Check the brand and model number of the physical Sensor that is working, and then the exact DTH assigned to it.

Go to IDE and create DTH from template, somehow works local

Being marked “local“ in the IDE doesn’t mean it actually will run local. It basically means you are requesting that it run local. But if it’s custom code it will not.

It’s easy to test, just turn off your Internet router and see if it still works. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have just had some ring open/close sensors delivered as they were in the sale. I do have a ring alarm too but haven’t added these as I wanted them separate. Smartthings won’t find my new sensors, I have tried scanning the barcode and also just scanning for sensors, they are in the correct mode. 3 flashing lights followed by a brief pause. Anyone with the same issue?

On sale! Where?
Btw they are found by ST almost instantly. You might need to change DTH.

1 Like

you can find the 2 pack on ebay for $28

i am from the UK, on the official ring site under accessories they are ÂŁ9.50 each or ÂŁ14.50 for the motion sensor

I just received 12 of the Ring sensors and there is an easy way to set them up.

1. Go in to SmartThings and click on the + to add a device.
  2. Scan the QR code on the sensor
  3. Hold down the button on the sensor for 10 seconds
  4. Wait about 30 seconds and SmartThings will find the device and pair it.

if you want the full functionality with tamper alert then use the template to create your DTH as described earlier in this thread.

2 Likes