Ring Doorbell Integration with Smartthings

I’m wondering if there is a way to use the motion detection of a Ring Doorbell to activate a Z-wave controlled light via SmartThings. I also have some Amazon Alexa devices if that helps.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Yes,

How would I get SmartThings to trigger lights on when the Ring Doorbell button is pressed or motion is detected? Is it done via the Ring app or the SmartThings app.

Some instructions or a link would be appreciated.

Thanks

In the SmartThings app, go to Automations and choose Smart Lights. Assuming you’ve already added your Ring doorbell, it will show up in that smart app as a trigger for motion and button.

You need to add the Ring Smartapp, then link your accounts. At that point you should see any Ring device that is supported as available.

The one thing to be aware of is that depending on where the light is (e.g. a porch light above a door bell), Ring sometimes thinks the light turning on / off is a motion event, when can cause a loop.

1 Like

There are several ways to accomplish this, I use Core and below is my piston that resolves the loop issue. Webcore works as well

In the link i sent ya contains this paragraph that also walks you through creating automations. So read and pick what works best for you.

You can use Ring Doorbell with Automations to turn on your lights or control a speaker when your Ring Doorbell detects motion or the button is pressed. Click here to learn more about creating Automations.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I’ve added Ring properly. Here’s what I did:

• I added Ring as a “Thing” to the SmartThings app but it does not show up as a Thing;
  • I put in the Ring credentials as part of that process
  • I added a Routine called Doorbell Routine and set up the routine to turn on a light;
  • I do not see anywhere any options on what to do when motion is detected or when the doorbell id pressed.

Is that the right process? Should I have done anything else? Do I need to do anything on the Ring app?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Does the doorbell show up as a device? Should show a live stream window, motion tile and button tile.

Thanks Jimmy.

Not sure what you mean by “Does the doorbell show up as a device?” My Smarthings app has Things, Rooms, Scenes, Routines, and SmartApps. Where do I see Devices?

Robert

Things is your list of devices.

OK, it does not show up on my list of Things. So maybe I did something wrong… As I mentioned above, here’s what I did:
I’m not sure if I’ve added Ring properly. Here’s what I did:

• I added Ring as a “Thing” to the SmartThings app but it does not show up as a Thing;
  • I put in the Ring credentials as part of that process
  • I added a Routine called Doorbell Routine and set up the routine to turn on a light;
  • I do not see anywhere any options on what to do when motion is detected or when the doorbell id pressed.

Is that the right process? Should I have done anything else? Do I need to do anything on the Ring app?

Thanks

Robert

Go to Marketplace > Things > Doorbells and add it that way. Part of adding it will be signing in to your ring account. After that process completes, it should be added to your Things list.

OK I did that. Still it’s not working for me. A light should turn on when motion is detected but it doesn’t. If you set the light to go on when motion is detected, should the light go off when there is no more motion or should it continue to stay on. I don’t see any options for controlling how long the light should stay on. That makes me think I still don’t have the Doorbell properly connected to SmartThings.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you

Create a Smart Lights rule, not a routine.

How does the ring alarm doorbell show up within SmartThings now that were part of the edge architecture? Does it show up as a device and can you use it in automations to trigger lights? I currently do not own a ring alarm doorbell, but I’m thinking about purchasing one and using it to trigger a light whenever the doorbell is pushed. Is that possible? Also, can the ring alarm device be used within SmartThings without connecting it to the ring alarm app? And finally, what is the functionality of the Ring Alarm doorbell with SmartThings. Is there any way to view video clips within SmartThings or is this only an Alexa Echo integration?

Are you referring to the ring doorbell or ring alarm?

1 Like

All Ring devices integrate with ST via a cloud->cloud relationship. Devices that you’ve added to your Ring app and that are supported by the integration are imported into ST by providing your Ring credentials in the ST mobile app. Once authenticated, supported devices are available in the ST environment.

Video from the Ring doorbell can be viewed in the ST app. You also have the option to be notified when the doorbell is pressed via a setting in the ST app. For automation, you can trigger on motion or no motion and when the button is pressed. There are no Actions that can be performed on the Ring doorbell.

4 Likes

Great rundown by @h0ckeysk8er. I’ll add that you can’t see past recorded events in ST. You only get a live view in ST.

4 Likes

Thank you hockeysk8er. So just to clarify, one must have an account and pay monthly subscription to Ring Alarm and then link the Ring Alarm credentials with SmartThings in order to use the limited features within SmartThings?