Has integration with Ring Security devices been added?

Found a thread over a year ago saying ring security devices (sensors, etc) couldn’t be integrated with SmartThings. Has this changed?

For example I’d like to use the motion sensors for other automations like turning off /on lights. It’s this possible?

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I use Alexa and IFTTT to do so.

I do if motion detected after 7PM turn on light. Then if no motion after 2 minutes turn off light.

1 Like

do you mean ring sensors connected to smartthings hub, or ring sensors connected to ring alarm and then added to SmartThings?

Honestly, either way. Whichever allows me to use the sensors for more than just security.

I’d like to be able to use the ring motion sensors to activate lights if motion detected after a certain time, etc.

Do you currently have the ring alarm? If so, you can currently use Alexa routines to do that.

1 Like

Yes. Sounds good thanks

You can only have a motion sensor paired to one Hub at at time. So any Ring Alarm motion sensor would not be able to be used to turn on a light that you have in SmartThings. About the only way you would get this functionality is through a Ring camera, with the Ring Connect smart app, you can use some of the motion sensors on the cameras to initiate actions via SmartThings.

You could use a ring motion sensor connected to a ring alarm to turn on a switch connected to a smartthings hub via an Alexa routine.

How is this done? I know how to create an Alexa routine but how do I get it to trigger based on the motion without having to “play” the routine manually?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G202200080

Can anyone confirm if the ring sensors show up on Smartthings because they are integrated with each other? For example if a Ring door sensor opens, can it turn on a light that I’ve linked to my ST account?

No, the ring alarm sensors do not integrate with SmartThings. Only certain cameras. You could use an Alexa routine to turn on a smartthings light based on a ring alarm sensor, though.

1 Like

2 options I use with my Ring setup:

1. Like Jimmy said, use Alexa routine to control a light. Now, if you want to control a switch, change the type of the switching device in Alexa to a light, so you can now have the on/off options to control that switch in a routine. This way I can use both Ring contact sensor and motion sensor for automations.

2. More complicated option is to create a virtual switch in ST IDE. That switch will show up in Alexa if ST is linked. Use Alexa routine to trigger the virtual switch when a Ring sensor state changes. In ST, use the virtual switch as a trigger for your automations.

Have fun automating!

Etc

I’ve gotten mine to work. You just edit the sensor in IDE

She’s not asking if you can use a ring sensor that is connected to a smartthings hub, that you definitely can.

She’s asking if you could have a ring sensor which is connected to the ring base station and then have that show up in smartthings through the ring integration. Which it does not. So there’s nothing to change in the IDE, it won’t be listed in the IDE in that configuration.

You can still use them as others have mentioned above by using an Alexa routine as an intermediary. :sunglasses: