Ring Door Bell for 220v Wires

(Bassem Melika) #1

Hi there,

I have US smartthings hub and therefore I bought Ring Door Bell to compatible with it. My question is, do anyone know what do I need to make door ring bell work in 220v? I know I will need a step down transformer to 16v for instance, but is thats all? Do I need to replace my currently wired door chime with a US wired chime? Need your assistance.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,
Bassem Melika.

(Mark) #2

FYI, the ring doorbell connects to the SmartThings hub either via LAN or cloud (I’m not sure which). So I’m pretty sure it wouldnt matter whether you integrate it with a US or UK hub.

The US and UK ST hubs have z-wave radios that operate on different frequencies, but that’s not relevant for this device.

I’m not an electrician, so I don’t want to give you bad info about how to wire it, although I think all that matters is your transformer can take 220V AC on one side, and step it down to the AC range that Ring can handle on the other side. Don’t take my word for it though.

(Jason) #3

You’re going to want to get in touch with Ring support.

(Martin Verbeek) #4

(Kirk Hilzinger) #5

You are going to have to use a step down transformer. The doorbells have a wide range of allowed voltages but 220V is way too much. They want a target of 16VAC.

There is a bell that will work strictly over Power over Ethernet if you can run Cat-5 to your doorbell location. You would use a PoE switch or PoE injector.