[REMOVED] Nest Manager 4.0

He is in North America, just on the 2nd shard.

1 Like

Doh! At least it’s all sorted

1 Like

Is there any way possible to setup an automation based on a remote sensor to turn the HVAC fan on for a set amount of time? There is a way to manually turn on the fan within the Nest app but I would like to do it triggered on a remote sensor temp threshold.

Basically my thermostat is in the central part of the house. A room near the exterior corner of the house gets cooler in the winter than the other rooms and if it gets to a certain temp I want the fan to kick on and circulate the warmer air into that room.

Is this possible?

I’ve deleted the handler for the Virtual Thermostat. Should I also delete the DTH for Sim Thermostat? It may have been held over from a previous version of NM

tonesto7 : Nest Sim Thermostat

10:31:53 PM: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: physicalgraph.device.DeviceTypeExecutorBase$_closure5.doCall() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String, java.lang.NumberFormatException) values: [generateEvent Exception:, java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: “>120”]
Possible solutions: doCall(), doCall(java.lang.Object), call(), call([Ljava.lang.Object;), call(java.lang.Object), findAll() @ line 441

Getting this on one of the two thermostats. I removed it, made sure it was gone, added it back. It appears to be working sorta ok.

A CoRE piston might do the job - [RELEASE CANDIDATE] CoRE (Community's own Rule Engine)

I looked and didn’t see the solution. I installed the Nest Manager app and it’s working perfectly (Thanks for the hard work!).
Is there a way to decrease the time delay between changing the temp on my phone (Android if it matters) and it updating the nest? Right now, when I manually change the temperature, it takes a minute or so to update the Nest.

I saw the polling options and set the one I think it was to 1 minute but that was the minimum and seemed like it was still too slow. Using the Nest app updates the thermostat almost immediately so hopefully it’s fixable or we’ll just keep the Nest app on our phones (I’d rather go to 1 app).

Thanks!

All NestMode automations have been flawless since the update. Nice work!!

2 Likes

So far with 4.1, the NestMode automation has been flawless for me as well! Thanks!

Seriously excellent work @tonesto7!

-Ben K

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know… Seriously though this project has gotten so large and complex that it takes a few of us to make it what it is. So I want to make sure that @E_Sch and @desertblade get their due credit as well.

4 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out! @E_Sch and @desertblade: Excellent work as well! Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the great work on 4.1 and the previous versions of this app.

Like many people I’ve had a lot of issues with Nest since their introduction of “Eco” temperatures. My main problem is that the thermostat now “pops out” of the Away functionality. It doesn’t matter if it’s set manually or through an app like Nest Manager. I have all the Thermostat sensors and Protect sensors disabled (pets) but it doesn’t seem to matter. After 1-2 hrs it’s back out of Away mode into Home mode and then Eco turns off as well.

None of this is your problem, it’s with Nest. I’ve had conversations with their support about it but have been told multiple times this is “expected” - even though it never did it before. In any case what would really help is a way to use the Presence sensor to toggle the Eco mode directly instead of toggling the Home/Away functionality. I’ve noticed if you set the thermostat into Eco mode directly it works until told to turn back off.

Is this something that could be added, or is modifying the code for this basic enough I could attempt it? I’ve done some basic App writing but this one is way more complex. Just a pointer on where to look or what to change and I’m willing to add it myself. The thermostat is basically useless without automating itself when I’m not home. Thanks! (sorry for the length)

1 Like

@robwrberjr I have found this to work fine so far. I have my setup set to run the routine ‘Goodbye!’ when me and the wife leave home (set by being outside the geofence). That routine sets the mode to ‘Away’. In Nest Manager I have Precense enabled and in Nest Automations I have Nest Mode Automation Config set to ‘Away’ for when away:

In the Nest app itself I have switched off the Protects in Home/Away assist so the the dog doesn’t trigger Nest to think someone is at home.

I just updated via IDE and noticed that you recommend removing the virtual thermostat device and then delete the virtual device code from the IDE. How should I go about doing this?

On IDE, under Device Handlers, I see tonesto7: Nest Virtual Thermostat listed directly below tonesto7: Nest Thermostat. I could click on that and delete it but I want to make sure that this is the right thing to do as I don’t see anything about removing the device and then deleting the device code.

Do you mind spelling this out a bit?

just disable the virtual thermostat under Nest Automations > Thermostat Automation > Remote Sensor Config

Once you do that and press Done until your back to the smart app list it will automatically remove the device from your things list (Only if it’s not used in any routines or other smartapp) then go into the IDE > My Device Types and delete the virtual thermostat device.

If the device is in use just go to those routines/apps and change them temporarily to your physical thermostat and then you can change them back afterwards.

I apologize for the inconvenience but we have learned some things that helped simplify this process and use the same device as the physical thermostat. So in the end it’s easier for us to maintain and easier for the end users to only have to update the one device.

A little confused. Do this under Nest Manager in SmartApps in my Android app? Do I do this for each Thermostat in “Manage your Automations”? When I’m in each thermostat, there is a section titled “Remote Sensor” but it is not turned on but I still have the Nest Virtual Thermostat under Device Handlers in my IDE.

Thanks. Before the Eco update this is how I had things working and it did work great. Since then (even with the protects and thermostat sensor disabled) the device refuses to stay in away mode. It will work for 1-2 hrs and then suddenly it’s “Home” again with no intervention. There aren’t any schedules set or anything. I honestly think it is a software bug but can’t get Nest to agree. The only solution I’ve found that works is putting the device into Eco mode manually, hence my question. If I could get the Home/away functions on the thermostat to work I’d use them.

A little confused. Do this under Nest Manager in SmartApps in my Android app? Do I do this for each Thermostat in “Manage your Automations”? When I’m in each thermostat, there is a section titled “Remote Sensor” but it is not turned on but I still have the Nest Virtual Thermostat under Device Handlers in my IDE.

I see the same thing. Away mode no longer sticks and the nest changes back to Home whenever it thinks there’s someone/thing at home. You can see that the the request to revert to Home does not originate from smartthings so is clearly a Nest bug.
Like @robweberjr if you directly set the mode to Eco rather than “Away” in the native nest app then it never reverts. Is there some way to do the same via Nest Manager?

If you plan on using ST and Nest Manager to modify your home/away it is highly suggested that you turn off home/away assist under the Nest Mobile app to prevent the tug of war