[RELEASE] Zooz Scene Controller (ZEN32)

Yes, after installation. In fact, one unit didn’t stick prior to install, but does after install. If I don’t hit the buttons in the center, they do stick.

1 Like

@TheSmartestHouse I had the same issue, originally, and new replacement face plate fixed it.

Issue is tolerance, switch part is made to tight. I think that LED part gets stuck, regardless if you push it in upper or lower part.

Switch Button should be made same as little buttons, with rubber spring.

*Probably, once you push it in couple hundred times, it would wear out, and not stuck any more.

1 Like

If that’s the case, it will need to be replaced - let us know if you need any assistance with the process.

1 Like

I installed the two device handlers as usual but could not get a new Zooz Scene Controller to be properly detected on inclusion. I tried re-adding numerous times but it would continue to show up as a generic Z-wave switch.

The only way I got it to work was to manually change the device type to the Zooz Scene Controller in the IDE and then go into the app and change a setting for the device so that it refreshes and created the child devices.

I have the following logs from when I was adding the device, which seem nominal based on the DH for the Scene Controller, but clearly something was not working as expected.

debug Parse returned Switch MSR: 027A-7000-A008
debug productTypeId: 28672
debug productId: 40968
debug manufacturerName: null
debug manufacturerId: 634

Not sure if it will continue to operate fine but wanted to share in case others experience the same issue.

Ever since ST launched drivers the onboarding for custom groovy DTHs hasn’t been reliable.

I’m usually still able to get it to join with the correct handler after a couple of attempts, but some users won’t be able to get it to join with the correct handler and the steps you performed are what I would have suggested.

What method were you using to initiate the inclusion process?

I’ve also heard this issue is becoming more common as well.

I tried numerous ways to add it, all of which did not work as expected:

• Searching nearby, selecting it and skipping secure setup
  • Searching nearby, selecting it and doing secure setup with QR code
  • Scanning QR code and then scanning for the device

I able to setup Zooz Double Switches (ZEN30) moments before after adding the DH for that device without issue. Just when I did the same approach (add DH, then add device) for the Scene Controller, it didn’t work out until the manual assignment approach.

Is there a trick to changing the leds with webcore? It seems to work in routines, but when I tried to mimic behavior of a WS200+ I cannot use webcore, or shall I say nothing happens.

In addition, is there anyway to make the led blink, or add that in the future?

I haven’t tested this, but if you add the lines at the bottom of this message to both handlers then you should be able to use these commands in WebCoRE with the corresponding arguments.

• setLedMode: onWhenOff, onWhenOn, alwaysOff, alwaysOn
  • setLedColor: white, blue, green, red
  • setLedBrightness: bright, medium, low

In the button handler the lines below should go on new lines below line 46 and in the main handler they should go on new lines below line 97.

command "setLedColor", ["string"]
command "setLedBrightness", ["string"]
command "setLedMode", ["string"]

It might be possible to do that with the Indicator command class so I’ll do some testing while converting the DTH into a driver, but that’s not something I’ll be adding to the Groovy DTH.

Ill take a look at this thanks.

Question:
I have a routine that based on the status of a door or lock, it sets the LED of the small buttons, such as Light 2 too Red if opened. That all works great, however, it seems that when it triggers that LED change, it turns on the main Light switch, even tho that is not in the rule.

Hi guys - Newb here. I’m a bit worried about trying to install this, as I’ve read above various issues and am concerned that once I try it, should it fail, it will then be even messier to try and get it working. So I was wondering if there are any simple step by step recommendations to include it in ST2.

I’m replacing an Enverwave 6 button scene controller that’s no longer supported…

For the big button on the Zooz, it will not have any load connected. I want to use it like a toggle switch - so no state. Every time its pushed I will do something. It looks like someone posted above how to do this so I’ll try that.

Am I right that without this custom DTH I cannot treat the large button as a toggle and use it properly without a load?

Can the LED on the big button be set to always be lit? As mentioned I want it to be lit to be able to best see it when dark but when pressed it should stay lit, acting like a toggle.

Also I plan to use webCore to hook into it and respond to button presses. Am I right to assume that should work fine? Any tricks there? Thank you.

1 Like

I received 2 of these scene controllers for Christmas–only installation issue I ran into was even though I had the custom device handler installed/published in the IDE, SmartThings didn’t assign it, so I had to change the DTH from whatever generic Z-Wave device it was to the Zen32 in the IDE. I am pretty sure I used the “Scan QR code” to include it, but it works great. Now I just need some automation ideas.

Great, thanks. So you copy/pasted both DTH into the IDE and then after scanning it you reassigned the DTH. Got it. I was confused about the messages near the top of this thread about having two different devices show up or something. Anyway I’ll give this a try and see how it goes. Thank you!

Good luck! if you have any Problems, get in touch with support at The Smartest House. (Zooz is their house brand.) they are very familiar with smartthings and usually very helpful. :sunglasses:

https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/598-how-to-add-your-zen32-scene-controller-to-smartthings/

1 Like

@HDGuy, once you assign the Zen 32 DTH to the device, it will automatically create the 4 extra buttons…assuming you have both DTHs in the IDE.

Am I correct to assume that after following these steps I can use the big button as a toggle switch? I don’t want it to have any state like on or off. Rather, I am going to use webCore to take an action every time it is pushed. Hence, to treat it as a toggle and not an on/off.

Speaking of which, I do not plan to use “Automations” feature of ST to control this. Instead I am going to do it all from webCore. Am I right to further assume that I can use webCore to trigger an action each time the large button is pressed? And I can keep the little LED light on at all times on the large button (with the LED not going on/off each time the button is pressed)?

Thanks guys!!

@HDGuy
Toggle for the switch

1 Like

Thanks! However in my case it’s a bit different because I will not use these Automations but rather will connect use it to trigger webCore pistors and do the heavy lifting from webCore.

You’re going to want to reevaluate that soon. Webcore goes away ehen Groovy does. It’s definitely time to start planning…

3 Likes

Yes, you can use the “Pressed” event or the “On/Off” events. Both are supported. Make sure to disable the relay control in the settings if you are truly not controlling a load on the main button. Another setting to consider is defaulting the relay to “ON” after power failure if you don’t want load control, otherwise you can have dead switches after a power failure.

1 Like

Oh no, seems I’ve been living under a rock. Is there any way to keep using webCore? It’ll be a huge amount of work to redo all my automations (some of which are pretty complex and need the coding power that webCore provides).