[RELEASE] Zooz Power Strip VER 2.0

There’s a driver available for this device on Zooz’s Edge Driver Channel.

Most of the information below is for the old Groovy Handler which will stop working on 9/30/2022.

This is the DTH for the NEW Zooz Power Strip VER 2.0 (ZEN20).

Features

• A device is created for the Power Strip and each Outlet.

• A component device is created for each USB Ports which allows you to see them in the Power Strip and use them in SmartApps, but they’re not shown in the Things list. Each USB Ports will report on when the device plugged into it is using power and off when it’s not, but the USB ports can not be controlled.

• Power Strip reports combined power/energy

• Outlets report power/energy

• Keeps history of low and high power values

• The Power Switch device can turn on/off all outlets at the same time or you can choose a delay to use between them.

• Enable/Disable Manual Operation

• Power recovery options

• LED options

• Auto on/off intervals for each Outlet

• Power and Energy reporting intervals

• Power reporting threshold

Power Strip Device

9 Likes

So I assume it doesn’t work for ver 1?

No, but I wrote one for v1 a long time ago. The only catch is that there’s a SmartApp that needs to also be installed for the old DTH because I wrote it before SmartThings supported child devices in DTHs.

Also VER.1 is not configurable as the new device and it should have native support from SmartThings (added around a year ago). There’s no way to update VER. 1 to VER. 2 because of hardware differences so you couldn’t benefit from the handler using VER. 1.

1 Like

Will v2 run native?

It won’t for now since there seems to be a bug in the ST firmware that prevents some multi-channel devices to include. Until that bug is addressed, you need the handler and the workaround. We’re also trying to see if we can adjust the firmware for the ZEN20 for it to include normally. Official integration is still a few months away since it takes a while these days.

1 Like

I luv how param 26 and 27 can be set right on the strip, nice. Also that you included the screws and holes to mount vertical or horizontal (vertical with the cord pointing down would have been nice).

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, we’ll try to adjust it in the near future, great point about the vertical screws!

I have a couple of the older strips without power monitoring and this is the one feature that kept me going to the Aaon Labs Strip even though it only had 4 controllable plugs at the same price.

This is needed and should be a great hit! I will be picking up a couple of these as well!

1 Like

Anyway we can link to github? Also can we make it so we can change the names and icons of each channel on the strip?

It’s already linked to github. It’s krlaframboise and SmartThings

If you open the individual outlets you can rename them, but at this point I don’t plan on adding a way to rename the component labels shown in the parent device.

I have ran into problems when the canChangeIcon attribute was set to true in the past, but it’s been a while so I’ll re-test and if it doesn’t cause any problems I’ll enable it.

In workaround link: http://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/149-how-to-add-your-power-strip-ver-20-to-smartthings/

steps 7-8 calls for ‘zwjoin’ event but after the lights on the power strip stopped flashing all I can see is ‘zw device’ in my hub>list events>

Any screenshot that shows ‘zwjoin’ event? or the powerstrip I received is DOA maybe?
Hub v2.

I’ve run into that before, but those zw device entries near the top usually include the device network Id value that you’re looking for so that specific event isn’t necessary.

There are multiple ‘zw device’ events and all seem to have different ids.
It would be nice if the workaround was updated with screenshot or at least mention which zw device event to pull the id from. I’m seeing 8 zw device events

The zw device gets bigger each time I switch id on the Power Strip Device type. lol
I’ve lost track

Not sure the workaround has been tested…wait am I beta testing now?LOL

Finally, I would like credit for beta testing. lol

The device id is next to zw device: 61 in this photo.

So for step 8. Look for the number next to zw device in the name or value columns.

Then use that number for Step number 12.

After some good old trial and error [62 was my lucky id number, time for powerball?]:

Do not use the id value that’s inside the event.

The documentation is correct, most of the time. I think I’ve run into 1 instance out of probably 25 where that event didn’t get created.

If you removed the device and tried again it probably would have created the event.

I removed 3-6 times, I lost count actually. not once did I see zw join event. Anyway for those users that come across this issue, they’ll know where to look for to get the id.

if the documentation had just only one screenshot it should be the screenshot where the zwjoin event shows the id number for step 12. It would be tremendously helpful.

2 Likes

We’ll add screenshots to the instructions!

2 Likes

So far so good, looks like a comprehensive device - lots of options available.

Couple of bugs though:

Renaming a child outlet works (i.e. ‘TV’) works but the name doesn’t get updated in the parent view. Still shows as ‘CH 1’. … ok, I just saw above that you’re not planning on fixing that.

The USB ports shown in the parent view can be toggled and unfortunately they seem tied to the first two the first two power outlets. That is, clicking on USB1 toggles CH1, when I don’t believe anything should happen at all.

This isn’t a bug, but since multiple users have requested it I’ll add a setting that enables the automatic renaming.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I originally used the built-in simulated switch handler as the child which didn’t cause it to toggle CH1 and CH2, but it displayed switch icons instead of outlet icons so I changed it to the built-in zooz outlet handler.

It appears that handler is causing the USB ports to toggle CH1 and CH2 and it’s also preventing the USB ports from displaying in the new mobile app.

I think I’m going to create a 3rd handler for the USB ports that display an outlet icon and don’t display as buttons so that they can’t be toggled. If users opt not to install the 3rd handler then it will use the built-in simulated switch handler which will show switch icons, but at least tapping them won’t cause them to toggle CH1 and CH2.

I won’t be making these changes until tonight so if anyone can think of a better solution to the USB port issue or has any other suggestions, please let me know before tonight. @TheSmartestHouse

1 Like