[RELEASE] Zooz MultiRelay (ZEN16)

Yes the hardware is clicking when I turn the relays and parent device off and on. I must have them wired wrong…

Here is what I’m replacing:

And this is what I now have going on:

I am testing it by crossing the two wires on the sensor (s).

I figured the relays would just open and close… and when I turned off a relay that was on the alarming sensor it would open the circuit and the alarm would stop.

Usually for a device ilke the Aeotec water sensor it will close (or open) the circuit when the devices detects water and change the circuit back when it becomes dry.

If you connect the terminals on the left side of the water sensor to the Sw1 terminals then whatever you connect to the R1 terminals should turn that device on when it reports wet and off when it reports dry or visa-versa depending.

If after connecting Sw1 to the water sensor you hear that click when it changes between wet and dry then you’ll know that part is working as expected.

If you’re trying to control 2 different devices then you’d connect the terminals on the right of the water sensor to the Sw2 terminals and connect the 2nd device to the R2 terminals.

My response is explaining how the relationship between the dry contact, MultiRelay, and device usually works, but that’s it. I haven’t read the specs of the Aeotec Water Sensor so I’m not sure if it’s NO or NC, and I also don’t know what voltage it can handle.

I’m also not sure how to connect R1 to the device being controlled or if you need to use the usb cable or the +/- terminals because that depends on the type of the device being connected and how that device is wired. You can probably figure out that part by looking at the MultiRelay’s manual.

One more thing, turning Relay1 on/off with the mobile app will change the state of R1, but won’t have any impact on Sw1. So if the water sensor reports wet it will turn the switch on and if you turn it off with the mobile app then nothing will happen when the device reports dry.

1 Like

I thought I was a hardware guy… not so much it turns out.

I used the R1, R2 relays and it works as expected.

I’m validating with Zooz support but I believe I am good with this configuration.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Good idea and I meant to mention that in my last post.

Another cool thing about the MultiRelay and the way that you’re using it is that you can limit how long it stays on for with the auto off setting.

Great work on this product. I have my three garage doors working nicely. Is there any way to differentiate whether the door closing was generated by a connected switch or the zwave automation? I would rather not have the siren sound when someone is manually closing the door with the switch. Thanks!

Solution came to me. I had an extra motion sensor and I used that to determine if someone is in the garage.

1 Like

It sounds like you figured it out, but changing the “opening” and “closing” on lines 410 and 414 to “open” and "closed might have also solved the problem…

Dear @krlaframboise,

I have been trying to find a replacement for the FortrezZ MIMO2+ device since there is currently no DTH for it that works in the new Smartthings App. The Zooz Zen16 looks like it may be able to work and from what I see you have made a DTH that works well in the new App.

The FortrezZ product has two relays but also has two inputs that can be used to sense dry contacts as open or closed and send that information over Zwave.

From Amazon’s Q&A on the Zen16 it looks as though this device can also do the same thing? Can your DTH pick up the state of the contacts?

From Amazon:

Can the switch inputs act independently from the relays (i.e., can they be used as general dry inputs without affecting the outputs)?

Answer:

YES they absolutely can. I just received this device today and within 40min had figured out how to separate the inputs from the outputs. The manual calls it “Enable/Disable Manual Control for Sw(1,2,3)”. You want option 2, which is “local control disabled with on/off reports sent to the hub.” In most cases, you will also want to change “Switch Type for Relay (1,2,3)” to option 1 “toggle switch.” This will allow you to use the inputs (1,2,3) with contact sensors and report their state via z-wave to the hub. I am overall impressed with this device and it’s capabilities. see less
By digitalcraftsman on September 9, 2020

Please let me know!

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

That response sounds like it came from Zooz and this is the official ST handler for the device so if the device is capable of doing what you want then the DTH supports it…

Interesting answer.

I purchased this unit and played with it a bit yesterday. The paper instructions with the unit do say there are three Values that the switch inputs can be set to:

Value 0 – Local Control disabled

Value 1 – Local Control enabled (default)

Value 3 – Local Control disabled with enabled on/off reports

But when I go into the settings it only gives me the first two options. Is this a firmware issue or a DTH issue?

What’s the firmware version of your device.

If you open the device in the IDE you should see it listed in the current states section.

in the IDE it shows Firmware 1.02. On the top of the device where it shows information like part number, etc it also shows 1.02

There is version 1.03 firmware. You can ask for it, they will email it to you but you have to flash it with a z-stick. I’ve done it.

I missed that change when adding support for firmware 1.02, but I just released a new version of the handler that supports option 2 for the manual control settings.

That’s not necessary unless he needs to use the settings that are labeled (FIRMWARE >= 1.03).

Thank you @krlaframboise ! That is some fast turnaround!

I am now curious about Firmware 1.03. Can you let me know what additional functionality that provides?

1 Like

Nevermind my last question. Saw in the device settings that 1.03 relates to changing the states of the relay from NO to NC. This will potentially help me in one of my use cases so I will ask Zooz support Thanks @NomadTech for that suggestion!

@krlaframboise
Sorry for all the posts all at once but this multi channel relay is a great device and I am using it to replace multiple FortrezZ devices and have run into an issue

One of my applications is to replace the FortrezZ MIMOLite I am using for my garage door opener with this device . Your Zooz Garage Door Opener App is pretty darn nice and I am hoping to use that to integrate. What makes the FortrezZ product so functional is that it has three things in one. 1. Zwave relay, 2. the ability to manually switch it, and 3. a contact switch that reports back to the hub. Now that you have enabled the ability to use the switch inputs as a contact switch input on the Zen16, you have essentially made the ZooZ device have the same functionality as the MIMOLite but with multiple relays.

Here is the issue I am facing. I have changed one of the switch inputs to show as an on/off contact. I have a hard wired contact switch already on the garage door which I have moved to the input I am now using as a contact switch on the Zen16.

When I open the Zooz garage door App, however, it does not give me the ability to choose that contact switch for the garage door opener. I believe the issue is that when you give the ability to change the switch input to a contact switch, you do not change the way the hub looks at it. It still thinks it has the attribute of a switch rather than a contact on/off switch.

Can you help with this by allowing your Zooz Garage Door Opener App to use an input switch changed to an on/off contact switch as the actual sensor for the garage door.

Even better would be to change the way the Hub looks at the input. If it does not see it as a contact switch but still rather a relay switch it will not be able to be used in any application requiring a contact switch - which I have other applications I would like to use this in and I am sure others do as well.

SmartThings only supports “Switches” and “Contact Sensors” so I’m not sure what you mean by “Contact Switch” and “Relay Switch”.

Regardless of what’s attached to the input, the device only reports on/off to the hub so the DTH creates the on/off switch event.

@TheSmartestHouse can correct me if I’m wrong, but you can’t use a contact sensor attached to the input of a relay to determine if the door is open/closed and also use that relay like a switch because changing the state of the switch from the hub wouldn’t change the state of the contact sensor.

If you planned on using one relay for the contact sensor and another for the switch then I guess the handler could be modified to create a child contact sensor instead of a child switch, but that’s not a quick change because I’d have to do a lot of testing and this is a unique use case so I don’t plan on making that change…

Yeah, I meant switches and contact sensors. I’m not a software guy so always seem to get the nomenclature wrong.

This is exactly how I planned on using it. It would make a great ‘all-in-one’ Garage Door Opener without having to use a second Zwave device for the contact sensor for the door. I am surprised you guys did not go down that route when originally putting together the Garage Door Opener use case and creating the App, etc. But I understand since that it is all in place why you would not want to go down that route now.

Though to be fair if you went to the trouble to design the device to disable the switch capability and instead have it send on/off reporting, it would be much for functional if that data came across as a Contact Sensor to trigger other things. I’m not sure how much of a unique use case it would be. I would bet that most folks would assume it would default to a Contact Sensor if it was sending on/off data but then again, we are getting into a bit of a nomenclature discussion :slight_smile:

Yes that’s right. Inputs (switch terminals) are permanently linked to the outputs (relay terminals) on the ZEN16. If you’re not using relay 2, you could use Sw2 to monitor a dry contact input but because it would still trigger the relay, the device will appear as an on/off device on the Z-Wave side. As @krlaframboise it would take a lot of work to make it appear as something else because a Z-Wave switch (something that you can control but that also reports to the hub) is something very different than a Z-Wave open/close contact sensor (something that you cannot control and that only reports to the hub). So this is not a simple matter of displaying on/off as open/close but of replacing one device type with another including all of its capabilities.

There are dry contact devices out there with this capability but they only have a single relay (so can automate a single gate) and cost twice as much as the ZEN16 which you can get in a Garage Door Opener Kit that already includes a Z-Wave Tilt (Open/Close) Sensor for around $57.