Question about new Arlo integration

Just tested mine

The video only shows up under SHM history tab. Is not posted under things tab

Thanks Kevin. How did you post the images to this page? I am a newbie to this site.

The last image is what I am trying to avoid. The UPS driver has not invaded my home and I don’t want to have to clear an intrusion alert. If I am sleeping and he delivers a package and leaves without ringing my doorbell or knocking on my door, I simply want a notification without an intrusion alert. My custom rule solved that problem, but for some reason it did everything it should but did not record any video. I have tried many times.

@kevin is using SHM in armed mode. I don’t arm mine, so I don’t get an ‘intrusion’ alert

Thanks SBDOBRESCU.

Yes, when the SHM sends an intrusion alert I can view the clips in the “History” area and on ARLO. But it appears to me that since the Custom Rule will only send me a push notification and does not create an intrusion alert, there is no video in either the SHM History section and also no video on ARLO.

to add image, click the up arrow button for upload when you are typing, it works on mobile too

Thanks for sharing the screenshots! Out of curiosity why would you set the outdoor motion as a an intrusion event?
Why not set up to just get a notification when Arlo senses motion? On certain modes even to avoid excess notification? I have my outside motion sensor set to notify me on Away mode, Nightime and hone alone
 just a thought do it does not appear as an intrusion

The only thing I can think of, is your custom rule is not set up correctly?

Thanks SBDOBRESCU.
That is exactly how my Custom Rule is set up --Just not getting any Video.

Thanks jefo13
A short story (or maybe a long one, LOL, Last Halloween I left my home for a couple of hours and when I came home my house had been burglarized. I had no alarm systems at that time. I believe the burglars were neighborhood punks as they used a chisel to tear away the door facing on my front door where the locks were. This must have taken them 10 to 20 minutes to accomplish this. Since then I have installed Smatrrhings, (because of all the customization it can do along with home automation. I also have installed a professional, 24/7 monitored alarm system but it will not do home automation --Alarm Only. Now that the inside of my home is quite protected I have been looking for a way to give myself a bit of advance warning outside. The Arlo Cameras were exactly what I was looking for. After today I realize that I could accomplish this with an outdoor motion detector and a Custom Rule but I would have no video. The other reason for wanting to monitor my front porch is that UPS,USPS and Fedex drivers often leave packages on my porch without notifying me. Amazon has been quite bad at sending things with no signature required. I have been able to accomplish my goals with the Arlo and Smartthings integration, but I don’t want an intrusion alert every time someone or animal steps onto my porch.

Arlo, without Smartthings integration, at this time records everything thus shortening the battery ives of the batteries.Plus I can’t make them to turn on a light or anything else when motion is detected unless it is coupled with Smartthings.

Sorry, I ran out of ideas why is not working for you :frowning:

What mode is set to active in the Arlo Web Page?

1 Like

Oh dahhhhh. Good point

I think I just solved it. I told the Custom Rule to turn on a light outlet and I got a video. My mode was Home. Maybe my internet was just slow before. Will try more tests.

1 Like

Solved. Thanks Everyone. All your ideas led me to the answer I was looking for. The reason, I believe, that I was getting no video was that I was barely in range of the camera’s motion detector. As for the intrusion alerts, I was using two apps: Notify Me When and Security. I removed them from the sections in the apps that asked what devices I wanted to monitor or trigger an event. Thirdly I created the Custom Rule.jut like SBDOBRESCU’s pictures. Since ARLO will notify me of motion being detected from the camera I did tell the Custom Rule to also notify me. I can probably remove that notification.
The system so far seems to work like I originally planned with no Intrusion Alerts.
Thanks again.

1 Like

how do you set arlo cameras to record on motion in SmartThings without SHM?

I don’t have Arlo but try rule machine

Create a custom rule in the Arlo app. That’s what I did.

You mean without arming SHM? Or without using SHM in general (not even custom SHM instance). If the latter, then CoRE.