Push Notifications for Schlage Lock Not Working (April 2019)

Hello @Kianoosh_Karami -

I just sent the hub logs. When I enter the keypad code, there is no report of the unlock to the hub. I appreciate your help.

@RBoy - I am using the RBoy Universal ZWave Lock with Alarms device handler - are you saying I should delete that? I did try deleting it once already and reverted back to the default ZWave lock DTH but it didn’t help.

Thanks

Hey @RB03, My bad, I forgot to ask you to let me know the timestamp that you reproduced the problem. Can you do the following?

1. Reproduce the problem
  2. Jot down the timestamp (With timezone please)
  3. Send logs
  4. Message me?

Thanks

Hi @Kianoosh_Karami, sure thing, but the problem is that nothing is happening in the logs/events when I enter the keypad code so it’s hard to “reproduce the problem”. The problem occurs every time I enter a keypad code because nothing happens. The @RBoy Lock User Management SmartApp is supposed to notify me when someone uses the keypad code. But maybe you can decipher things in the send logs that I can’t see. Today 5/2/19, the keyad was accessed several times between 1330 and 1530 US Eastern Time if you can look in that time period.

Unfortunately I am not near my lock anymore to enter the keypad code and it may be a couple weeks until I will be there again. This is all the more reason I am hoping to get the unlock notifications to work - so I get notified when someone uses their designated keypad code. If you can please excuse the delay, I will contact you again when I am able to further test the lock again.

Thank you!

Yeah, I have the ability to look at our internal hub and radio logs, so I can try to understand what the issue is.

Feel free to ping me with the info I asked for anytime you get a chance to reproduce the problem.

Thanks again

I’ve been following this thread to try to find a solution because I am having a similar problem. I also have a Schlage lock and use the LUM app and DTH from RBoy. Everything worked fine until about 2 weeks ago when I stopped receiving notifications from the lock. I’ve updated, repaired, rebooted and still nothing. I can change codes and lock/unlock, but no notifications from the lock. Funny thing is I get notifications from the Door sensor. I thought that maybe the lock had some damage from salt air so I bought a new one and installed it yesterday. Now I’m really frustrated because that didn’t help at all. I have the same setup at another unit less than 1/4 mile away and it is still working perfectly. So I thought maybe it is now a problem that I want notifications from both hubs to come to the same phone number. I changed the phone number and still nothing. I did notice that the locks are identified differently …one is ‘Schlage FE369 Z-Wave Lock’ on the problem device and the functioning one is identified as ‘Z-Wave Lock’. Do you think that could be a problem? I have never changed the name…it must autofill somehow. Any advice? I also sent an email to SmartThings.

ST has been rolling out a firmware update to the hubs over the last month or so and a change in that firmware is causing the missing notifications issue.

We had released a patch for it back in Feb. If you’re using the custom “Enhanced Universal Z-Wave Lock” DTH, please update to the latest version and it should fix your issue:

If your lock is using the stock “Z-Wave Lock” DTH, then the patch for it already rolled into the firmware update and hence nothing to be done for those locks.

I’m still having issues. I am using ‘Universal Z-Wave Lock Device Handler v04.03.09’ I’m using it on both hubs. One hub sends me notifications and one hub doesn’t. Notifications are turned on. I’m using LUM v07.09.03 I do have more sensors connected to the hub that is not sending notifications. It looks like the hub isn’t even receiving the info because it is not listed under the ‘recent’ tab. I think if the message were getting to the hub then I would see the notification. I do see door open/close info in the recent tab for that sensor. Should I replace the hub? It is v2. Not sure what else to try.

You’ve hit the nail on the head as to why you aren’t getting the notifications.

See this topic which will explain why and then give you the solution:

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I do have a Monoprice Z Wave Metering plug in switch. I have one at each location and have had them for about a year. Both hubs are in condos and the switch is between the hub and the lock…similar distances. I have repaired the hub. Schlage recommended that I exclude the lock and the monoprice device and do a factory reset on the lock and then include both items. I’ve done that and I’m still not receiving notifications from the one lock. I bought a new hub…still no notifications. I’ve scanned the IDE for any differences in lock settings and the working one states that the beeper is enabled. The nonworking one states that the status is unknown. Could this be the issue? It seems to me that the lock isn’t sending the notifications. Or the notifications aren’t being recognized. Not sure if the problem is with the hub, the lock, the app, the driver…

I suspect since you’ve been fairly thorough in your setup and analysis, you may have a defective lock or chipset in the non working lock. If it’s saying that beeper is unknown it isn’t responding correctly.

If you haven’t already tried it, try to replace the battery. If not you may need to request Schlage for a replacement lock. If you’re considering new locks, check out Yale. It has a few more handy features/flexibility and the zwave module is replaceable. You can even get their newer zwave plus locks which have a better battery life.

I appreciate the suggestions. I have replaced the batteries in the lock. I bought a new Schlage because I was familiar with it, but I will take a look at the Yale. I just need to be able to change codes remotely and receive notifications. Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

Still trying to troubleshoot over here and I’m wondering if you can clarify something with the Universal Z-wave Lock Device Handler v.04.03.09. I now have 3 locks and 3 hubs (in different locations). The lock that sends me notifications is Named Z-wave lock and the ones that don’t are Named Schlage FE599 Z-Wave Lock. I don’t name them…it must happen when the lock is included. I also notices differences in the Data section of my SmartThings IDE when I click on the individual device. The 2 that don’t send notifications have a network security level: ZWAVE_S0_LEGACY However, the one that does send notifications doesn’t identify a network security level. It does have a line labeled MSR instead of network security level.
I am not really sure how it is all operates…I’m simply trying to find differences in the systems. If I can’t get a resolution my next step is to exclude all locks, delete the DH and then include the locks one by one.

1 Like

The lock names don’t matter, they’re just labels. The things to check which make a difference:

1. Lock pairing, if the pairing doesn’t complete properly you may have issues, typical symptoms include a MSR that all 0’s or missing, the raw description has a bunch of 0000 in them for prod and model. There should be a raw description line. The security doesn’t matter as long as it doesn’t say S0_FAILED (which means pairing failure)
  2. Having a zwave plus repeater close by, you may want to try a different model

For what it’s worth I’ve been seeing issues with the hub today where some locks notification events are reaching the hub while other are reaching. I had to relocate the problem lock and the repeater (basically reconfigure the mesh), exclude them both, reboot the hub, re-pair them and do a Z-Wave repair and then I started receiving it (in that order).

Hi,

I’m having similar problems lately.

This past weekend, I paired a Monoprice Zwave outlet, and placed it mid-distance between my Schlage and ST Hub.

Then the SC app Smart Lock stopped showing its history.

I think I also read somewhere that the Z-Wave repeater and the Hub will take some time to “learn/relearn” the mesh networking???.. Is that actually a thing, or was I misreading it?

-HBS

That’s true, z-wave devices aren’t really meant to be moved around. Each device knows it neighbors and determines the best route to send messages accordingly (that’s why it important to have the buffering repeaters closer to the locks so it forces messages to go through them).

If you make any changes do a Z-Wave repair to update all the mesh devices routing tables.

Hello, I am having the same problem. My Schlage lever lock will not talk to the hub. I can unlock it via the app and with webcore. I can change codes but I am unable to get it to send notifications or use it to trigger routines/pistons, which was the only reason I bought the lock then bought RBoy. I have tried all the suggestions listed above. Seems to common to be a defective unit in my opinion. Has anyone had any luck? Any other suggestions for lever locks that work the way I am looking for? It has to be a lever lock as I don’t have a deadbolt and really don’t want to put one in.

I’m still having the same problem after months of troubleshooting. I replaced my Schlage FE 599 lock, replaced the repeater with the Monoprice repeater suggested, excluded/included, repaired the z wave network…still doesn’t work. I can unlock/lock remotely and set codes via LUM, but still unable to get notifications. This is the only reason I bought the RBoy apps… buyer beware… obviously many people are having this problem and it’s not an isolated event. $40 a pop is not cheap for something that doesn’t work as advertised. If it’s Schlage’s fault, then RBoy apps shouldn’t be advertised as being compatible with this lock.

1 Like

My FE599 had been working fine for years and suddenly one day it stopped sending notifications. Added a repeater and it started working fine for me. I always keep my apps up to date given and haven’t had any issues with LUM or notifications since adding the repeater.

Maybe it’s your hub that’s having an issue or wondering if Schlage updated the firmware in its locks which is causing these problems. Try replacing your hub or reinstalling everything from scratch.

Checking in to see if there is a solution. I have replaced a hub, replaced a lock, updated my device manager and LUM. Still no notifications. I have 3 hubs and 3 locks…different properties. The only one that works properly and sends notifications has a MSR identification number under the data section when I am logged into the smart things dashboard online (can’t see it on the app). I don’t know how to get the MSR for the 2 non functioning units. I tend to think there is something in the device manager that is causing an issue, but I am unable to delete it from an individual hub or an individual lock. I hate to delete it from all three because at least one is working. Has anybody tried deleting the device manager? My next step is to abandon Schlage and try a different lock which is too bad because I really like the lever lock. Hoping somebody has figured this out and can share some advice.

1 Like

This usually indicates a problem with your mesh. Did you try adding a buffering device like a repeater close to your lock as suggested by @hunnypuppy in the post above? That usually solves most issues with mesh communications.