SmartThings Community

PSA: If two locations/hubs both have Alexa + Smartthings integration - Alexa will only be able to control devices from one of them

amazon'alexa'echo
(Collisionc) #1

I just thought I’d post this in case it tripped up someone else

I already have an echo with a large amount of lights hooked up to it. I decided to buy an echo for my dad who has 5 lights total, and then set it up so that he could trigger them thru alexa with the smartthings integration. He has his own amazon account + smartthings account.

I went home and then noticed that none of my commands were working, and that only 5 lights were showing up in discovery after I deleted everything on Echo. This should have been the part where I realized what happened, but a few more hours would pass before that hit me.

After a few hours of troubleshooting I remembered that I granted myself access to his hub as a different location on my account. Apparently, if you have 2 locations Alexa can only control one of them, and as far as I can tell there’s no way to choose which location.

I ended up fixing it by removing myself from my dad’s hub and then Alexa picked up everything again without any issues.

Crossed location with Echo in two houses
Echo Show acting up

Frustrating, but a wellknown issue.

I’m not sure if using AskAlexa or EchoSistant resolves the issue, so I’m tagging @michaels and @bamarayne

(Micheal ) #4

A couple years ago I had two houses and I put features into Ask Alexa that helped but at the end of the day I still had to have two Amazon accounts. If you can not use native integration you can get away with one Smartthings account. I also have other tools I developed that can assist. PM me if you would like to discuss processes.

2 Likes
(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #5

I’ve not experimented work multiple accounts… I wish I could help.

2 Likes