Problem with v2 hub: can't add zigbee devices

Hey @kdquinn
(and thanks @TonyFleisher for the ping :smiley:)

I’ll shoot you a quick PM to get your email and take a look at this for you

1 Like

I wanted to sort of close-the-loop with everybody here and lay out what is going on with these hubs and the solution we have.

What we are seeing is a small percentage of older V2 hubs failing to update the Zigbee NCP FW if the NCP FW is on v2.1.6. Luckily, there is a simple fix that has so far been able to recover everyone’s hub that has shown this issue.

If you find yourself facing this issue you can follow the factory reset steps on the below page for your V2 hub but you will want to make sure that you release the button as soon as you see the yellow LED STARTING to blink. You do NOT want to wait for the yellow LED to go solid!

The 25.x release will contain a fix for this issue when that ends up being released so this work around should only be a temporary solution :smiley:

1 Like

I have the same problem after 24.20.
Wait, a factory reset? Isn’t that going to unpair all devices?

The directions I outlined above will perform what we often refer to as a “soft” factory reset. This will not unpair any devices or cause you to notice any change in the hub. There is however a lot that goes on during a soft factory reset, and one of the things is the hub will attempt a couple self-diagnostic tests on the radios and perform corrective actions.

Just want to reiterate, there are not any destructive actions taken during a soft factory reset but it is critical that you follow the modified instructions as I have outlined above to avoid doing a hard factory reset which would unpair all devices.

1 Like

Thank you for responding, now I know what I’ll be doing after work tonight

If you only have Zigbee devices, a soft factory reset should be fine. For users with Z-Wave devices which are securely included, please avoid a soft factory reset at this time. They will likely need to be re-included if you perform a soft reset.

2 Likes

Hi I have the same problem wondering if you would be able to help me too

Hi, I am having similar problems trying t add first Zigbee devices (IM6001-OTP0) to v2 hub (FW v000.028.00012). Any help would be much appreciated.

Have you tried resetting the outlet?

If the SmartThings Outlet didn’t connect to the Hub when you removed the pull-tab, reset and connect the device manually. To do this:

1. Hold the connect button for five (5) seconds
  2. Release the button when the LED flashes blue 3 times
  3. The LED will blink red and green while attempting to connect
  4. Use the SmartThings app and steps detailed above to reconnect your Outlet.

Hi jlp, thanks for replying.

These outlets do not appear to have a pull tab. I have done all the basics and have reset plug (basically following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xhNBIjBpgw).

I have also tried to turn off a nearby Google WiFi point without change. The hub itself is definitely in discovery mode as it is showing trace logs of “in ssdpDiscover” and the outlet’s led is blinking red/green. I have tried with two separate plugs and each is not able to be added.

Login to IDE at https://account.smartthings.com click on Hubs in the menu and find the zigbee section and confirm your zigbee is functional.

Also, reset the outlet again and open the ST app, click the + in the upper right and then click scan in the upper right.

Zigbee is functional
07%20PM

Here are the logs from the hub on a scan

You may want to contact ST support and see if they can determine why you can not pair them.

https://support.smartthings.com

Calling and speaking to someone at support is generally the fastest method - if available in your region.

1 Like

This thread was dying so I wanted to revitalize it. I am having the same issues. I’ve been using the app since “classic” and when it migrated to smartthings app, I had issues with the automations. I finally deleted all the devices and reset the entire hub. Now nothing attached but my samsung tv. When I lookup the devices (centralite) they are Zigbee but I noticed with I try to pair the outlet, the hub is initiating a z-wave scan.

hub firmware version 000.031.00004
Zigbee version 2.8.7

thoughts?
thank you.

I think it was threatened. I am not sure what fixed it but I did two additional actions and “poof” everything connected (except my fridge). I removed the batteries from the hub while I reset it. I replaced those and rebooted my phone.

i am also having the same issues with my v2 hub (000.031.00004). 5 of my zigbee xiaomi motion sensors went offline at the same time 3 or 4 days ago. i tried re pairing using the catchall method, but i dont see catchall listed in the events anymore. i placed the motion sensor 1 foot away from the hub and it could not find it. I also tried re pairing my ikea zigbee plug but unable to find, and no catchall in events. tried with smartthings classic and new app

I tried the soft factory reset method explained above, saw the blinking yellow and let go of the reset button. the lights went purple for a while, then blinking blue and solid blue. Didnt help

my zigbee settings are

• State: Functional
  • Version: 2.8.7
  • EUI: 24FD5B000002ED82
  • Channel: 14
  • Node ID: 0000
  • Pan ID: B4CF
  • OTA: disabled
  • Unsecure Rejoin: true

Please help

Just an update. After doing absolutely nothing for a week. i decided to try and pair one of my xiaomi motion sensors and i was able to finally see the catchall in list events on first try. I was then able to re pair all my devices and my zigbee ikea plug.

Does anyone know what could have happened last week? i checked the firmware and nothing was updated recently. Could it be a sign of a failing zigbee radio?

I had the same issue with my v2 hub (000.031.00004) with Zigbee ver 2.8.7. I called up Samsung Support and the Level 1 support asked me to reboot the hub, ensure that OTA was enabled for all devices, and unsecure region was set to on. This didn’t do anything to fix my issue.

Here are the simple steps I followed to fix my issue:

1. Unplug the hub from DC power, and remove all backup batteries
  2. Wait about 20 mins for the hub to completely cool down. (Very important)
  3. Perform a soft reset by using a paperclip to hold the reset button while plugging the power cord into the hub and removing immediately upon seeing the fast blinking yellow light. Important NOT to hold it for too long, otherwise it’ll perform a hard reset and you’ll have to set up the hub from absolute ground zero.
  4. Wait till the hub has reset and the light is a solid green. Most of the Zigbee devices should automatically have reconnected with the hub. For the devices that did not reconnect automatically, reset those devices and add them back to the hub using the Smartthings app. You do not have to remove them from the app to re-pair them. Just reset and add them using the app. This will ensure that all of the settings and automations you have for those devices will still be maintained.

i have never heard of soft reset ? is there any documentation on this ?

All my zigbee devices have gone nuts since yesterday for some reason . at the moment deleting and re adding one by one seems to be the only way to fix them