Preview | SmartThings-managed Edge Device Drivers

There are several community-Created edge drivers for virtual devices that work well to trigger Alexa routines and to otherwise substitute for the bjPierron DTH.

You can find them on the quick browse lists in the community-created wiki and look for the list for virtual devices.

If you have any further questions, just ask in the author thread for the edge driver you are working with. :sunglasses:

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Edge_Drivers

Thanks for the quick reply. I have seen those but based on the channel description, it seemed that the SmartThings Drivers (Beta) channel would be “officially” supported by Smartthings. Is that Virtual Switch not desirable?

It depends on what you want to use it for.

@bjpierron initially created that virtual device DTH so that it would be BOTH a sensor and a switch. When you turn on the switch, the sensor looks like it opened. Turn off the switch, the sensor looks like it closed.

That was important because at the present time you cannot trigger an Alexa routine from a switch of any kind, virtual or physical. You can only trigger from a sensor or a lock. So people who wanted to use the virtual device to trigger an Alexa routine needed the @bjpierron version.

The community-created virtual devices have that same capability. It’s very easy to turn them on and off by voice or from an automation, but they also have the sensor capability so that they can trigger an Alexa routine.

If you don’t need the Alexa routine trigger functionality, you just need a virtual switch that turns on and off, you can use the official version. So it’s up to you. :sunglasses:

Thanks so much. I do use the contact sensor capability in Alexa and am aware that the TAustin and ygerlovin versions support this. Does the Smartthings Drivers (Beta) virtual switch not have contact sensor capability. Just for kicks, do you know how I go about adding a device to try it?

I believe The smartthings official virtual driver is just a switch.

As far as adding an edge driver to your own hub, it’s the same for any edge driver.

The community FAQ has the details.

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

For questions about a specific edge driver, since different ones have different features, ask in the author thread for that driver.

If you’re asking about the beta channel, I don’t know on that one, someone else will have to help you. :thinking:

thanks again. was discussing the beta channel, but interestingly i haven’t found a thread for it! appreciate your time!

Looks like this should be the right thread for that question, then. Hopefully someone will answer you, I suspect they’re all pretty busy.

@Automated_House or @orangebucket might know more about the virtual switch in the Beta channel, I think that might be new. But I haven’t kept up with the beta myself.

:crossed_fingers: thank you!

1 Like

That has been around for a little while now.
I can see that it is implementing the same functionality as the virtual switch and virtual dimmer DTHs. I can only speculate wildly beyond that. The Virtual Device type clearly supports local execution so maybe that is how the local implementation will be done and it is the first of several. It has to be the first because the Virtual Switch is a stock DTH and needs a migration path.

The virtual devices that have crept into the CLI seem to be, so far, just like wrappers for capabilities. The standard set are all single capabilities and the custom ones are multiple single capabilities. If there are setter or enum commands in the capabilities, which by definition set particular attributes, it seems like they will work. However if there aren’t then it isn’t yet clear how they will be used in practice. Events can be created with the API but how does that map to Rules and the mobile app?

It isn’t clear if they will allow for more complex mappings of commands across capabilities.

Actually nothing is clear about them at all. I am sure we will find out in time.

1 Like

thanks. will keep watching to see what develops!

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but here is how I use TAustin’s virtual driver, a switch in my case.

I have an Echo 4 which has Ultrasound Motion Detection.
I have Alexa routines that turn the virtual switch on or off depending on whether it detects someone is present.

Our couch light normally turns off at 11:00 PM.

I have a routine on the SmartThings side that is active from 11:00 PM to 12:30 AM which checks the virtual switch that is updated from the Echo 4.
If the switch is “on” the couch light is turned back on at 25% brightness.
If the switch is “off”, the couch light is turned off/remains off.

1 Like

thank you!

The second relay on one of my Qubino Flush 2 modules stopped working
 I excluded/included the module and it turned up as two devices - “Qubino Switch 1”, type=“ZWAVE”, and “Qubino Switch 2”, type=“EDGE_CHILD”. “Qubino Switch 1” points to #2’s Id as “Child Devices” and the child’s parentDeviceId points to #1.

This means it’s no longer necessary to use virtual switches and routines to access the second relay

Is this a new model for multi-element Z-Wave modules? Will old implementations continue to work as before? Searching the documentation for EDGE_CHILD turns up nothing.

(The driver came from my up-to-date fork of the Github repo for metering-switch which may or may not have been pushed to the Beta channel.)

1 Like

Tagging @Automated_House , who has been tracking this issue

Yeah, there’s been a flurry of activity recently in the official SmartThings Edge GitHub to convert most (all?) of the switch edge drivers to use child devices instead of multi component devices. I think the Qubino driver was one of the first to hit beta channel. I believe they also updated the official SDK with version 45 to support this.

1 Like

Yes, those libraries were added and are finalized.
However, as a reference for devs, you’re free to use them but, we cannot guarantee they’re stable for others’ use.

1 Like

hi a couple of my zigbee devices are going offline the ones using the zigbee contact sensor driver .
is anyone else noticing the same
thanks
]martin

Today’s hub update 45.11 should stabilise things.

1 Like

My Evohome died a few weeks ago both with SmartThings and ifttt.
I contacted Resideo their new owners and they are bloody useless. Their advice was to call a registered installer.
When i managed to explain what was wrong and ger an actual answer they said Evohome does not and will not support smartthings. Only Resideo products will. Problem is you cant add Evohome to their new Resideo platform.
I aksed further questions and got told to contact a local installer.
I spoke to no less than 3 of their local installers. None of which support the product because of poor service!

I asked Resideo again. I got no reply

Im unable to sign up to edge drivers, using any invitation link just gets me to a page where a circle is spinning.

Ive tried different browsers, devices, rebooted routers and hub, cleared cache and what not. What is the cause of this?
It was working before but I factory restored my hub and now nothing works.

Thank you!