Phone Presence Sensor quit working

Four days ago my phone a OnePlus 7T quit working as a presence sensor to activate my garage door. I have rebooted the phone and the hub several times. Still not working. I have checked and validated the name of the phone both on the phone and in graphAPIsmarthings. Graph also shows last activity as four days ago.

My wife’s phone is working fine as a presence sensor activating the routines,

What should I do/check next to make it work again? Suggestions?

Just to take care of the obvious, have you gone thru all the Android settings that block an app from accessing location and that can put an app to sleep? They vary between Android releases…

Hal, Thanks for responding. I did just get a new major android upgrade. But I’m ignorant on what to look for and where. Could you point me in the correct direction?


This is for Android 13, as set on my Pixel 4a-5g. Each recent release of Android has tightened default access for location data.

I’m not sure if OnePlus overlay changes how you access settings, I know Samsung does. Basically you’re looking for anything that blocks the app from accessing Location data or puts the app to sleep.

  1. Touch and hold the icon on your home screen, tap App Info
  2. Scroll down and ensure that Pause all activity if unused is off
  3. Scroll back up and tap Permissions, then Location
  4. Ensure it’s set for Allow all the time and Use precise location is on
1 Like

I would recommend that you go into the mobile app settings ( Menu > Settings Cog) and then ‘Get your location from this phone.’ Even if everything looks OK I would recommend disabling and reenabling the location access for each Location shown. The app has got pretty good at detecting if it has the required location access and exemption from being put to sleep.

Unfortunately you may need to recreate or edit any automations based on the presence sensor as it is likely to change its ID as a result of the above.

I have to do this just about every time the SmartThings app updates on one phone.



That worked! And yes I had to add my phone back to all the routines involved. I also had to re add and delete the old tile in Action Tiles.

Now I just hope I remember to do this 13 months from now when I get a new app download or version upgrade on a phone!