Pebble SmartThings Remote App

Possibly. I contacted the developer last week, but never heard back.

Are you getting an error message? I can try to help to track this down if you like.

That would be great, thanks. Yes, when I hit settings for the smartthings pebble app, it brings me to the smartthings ide sign in. I sign in and select my hub and get the following message above a grayed out authorize buttonā€¦Client not associated with a SmartApp in location home.

If I remember right, the pebble smartthings app installs itā€™s own smart app on smartthings after authorization.

This could be related to recent changes we made to for authorization. The developer needs to submit the app for official publication and it will start working again.

Same hereā€¦ Grayed out authorize button and ā€œClient not associated with a SmartApp in location homeā€:persevere:

Tried contacting the developer again and informed him of Jodyā€™s instructions, but havenā€™t heard anything back. We may not be able to get it working again :frowning:.

Running into this too. @jody.albritton, this pebble app hasnā€™t been updated for 2 years. It is open source (https://github.com/mongo527/Pebble-SmartThings), how can we (community members) submit this app to get it working again.
I used the Pebble app everyday. Itā€™s cool, really need to get it going again.

Looks like you would need to start from scratch. There are callbacks to the original authorā€™s servers in the pebble code, and the source to the SmartApp is missing. Also, that code is absent of a license that indicates that it is open source. If another developer wants to take this project on, I can offer guidance and some assistance.

Ohh, ok. So there needs to be a SmartApp as a kind of proxy into the system? That makes some sense because I couldnā€™t see a way for a third-party, external app to get a token. Just to make sure I understand how the architecture lays out: so Iā€™d open the settings in the Pebble app on my phone which prompted me to log in to ST and grant access which would give an undisclosed SmartApp he wrote access to the ST devices I allowed? And then from there the Pebble watch app would communicate with the SmartApp (through my phone) which would perform actions on my behalf to my devices?

Itā€™s unfortunate a license isnā€™t listed but it looks like what is in the github repo is from a pebble template for the js apps - not that it clears anything up but appears it was just an oversight. I canā€™t quite tell what the redirect/callback is doing either, it was passed to ST during the oauth grant request it seems. Would that page get hit with the token and maybe where he triggered a ā€œSuccessā€ page within the Pebble settings app?

Yeah, I guess if you have some specific docs or example code you could point me to for this type of setup/workflow I may start looking at it. Thanks for the replies, @jody.albritton!!

I would love to help as well, although my coding abilities are non existent. I would be happy to test the hell out it thoughā€¦lol.

I have it working again. Will try to dig into how to publish and get oauth grant stuff working. Right now it just works from a personal account.

3 Likes

Iā€™d love to see an updated / color version of this app running. Aside from the B&W issue, I notice I always have to refresh the app to get a list of devices instead of it populating on its own.

Will this app work with the Pebble Round?

@andematt keep us updated on the status of this! Definitely eagerly awaiting the updated smartapp. Thank you for your work on this!

Well this app disappeared off my watch and phone this evening. I used it last night. It also no longer in the Pebble App Store. Have not looked for it in GitHub tonight. Anyone working on this still since the original author is MIA

I had the same exact happen as DarcRanger, what gives? Is Samsung pushing to connect us to Artik? There is a pebble app for that but I have no clue how to use it

I also found the smartthings pebble app in github but it is not compiled

Juan Felsmann

Any updates? We are all left without pebble smartthings control since last night. the other app, Dwelling has also been pulled

This was an unofficial app as far as I know. The developer probably pulled the plug, thatā€™s all. Pebble market share dropped from 25% in 2013 to ~ 5%, so not surprising.

http://iveybusinessreview.ca/blogs/lyuhba2017/2015/12/16/creating-enterprise-sized-ripple/

Yeah it was unofficial, but maybe they asked him to pull it because it was using the name smartthings?
As for pebble, it should be losing Mkt Share since it use to be 100% share until everyone else came in, anyway losing share in a blastingly growing Mkt it is not totally a bad thing, especially for a small Company of less than 200 ppl. At the end of the day, if $$$ are up thatā€™s better than not.

Just like with Smartthings, it is great to have choices out there and much like the community here that busts their buts making devices not officially compatible or more effective, Companies like pebble will continue to depend on developers like whoever made the smartthings app for pebble to make the users enjoy the experience even more

I just went to use it and found out it dropped off too. Hopefully someone will have the time and energy to make another.