Official Google Nest Integration (January 2021)

Today, finally I have been able to add my Nest Thermostat. Yesterday when looking for new devices the Nest logo was not coming, however today is coming. I initially though that it was going to be needed to update the app but has not been the case.
Great update after several years with my Nest Thermostat which has been out of my Smartthings Hub.

Can you view live video streams embedded as a tile without having to manually open a tile to view i.e. similar experience to when you open the native nest app, you see the live cams feeds embedded.

I currently use ActionTiles as my frontend dashboard on a wall mounted table dedicated solely for home control and have been using NST Manager (now defunct) along with a ā€œhackā€ to view pseudo live Nest cam images which polls every 2 seconds so I can quickly glance at cam status. This cam ā€œhackā€ applies to my nest hello and outdoor IQ cams and works great and is the main reason I have not migrated my nest account over to Googleā€¦yet!

If it turns out that the Nest live cam feeds are indeed embedded in tiles so I can integrate in a dashboard view on my iPad I will definitely pull the trigger to migrateā€¦itā€™s been years! Please let me know? Thank you :slight_smile: !

pretty sure he means the tiles in the SmartThings app. The new nest integration doesnā€™t work with any Groovy apps (smart lighting, action tiles, sharptools, webcore, etc.). It may not work with anything in the ST API either, so it may be cut off from all third party apps :astonished:

1 Like

Disappointing, but makes sense. I have a heavy dependency on ActionTiles last 3 years as my go to visual dashboard, although Iā€™m really on the pursuit of ā€œzero inputā€ on all home automation activities, where everything happens in the background and automatically, only seconded by voice input.

ActionTiles is utilized in my setup as an instant glanceable dashboard status more so than using it as a touch input medium, and is really a useful addition with Nest Cams embedded and displaying prominently as part of home security monitoring.

1 Like

Agree. Events are flagged on a timeline but not seeing any way to access recorded video, only live stream.

Hereā€™s the options you get for each camera. Iā€™m not really sure what ā€œcamera snapshotsā€ means. But it doesnā€™t seem to mean recorded video.

Correct. I mean the device tiles that show up in the (new) smartthings app.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a snapshot icon on the device in the ST app. Click it and it takes a still and saves it to your phone. At least on iOS it does. Problem is, with no access from SmartApps or Automations, itā€™s kinda useless. Hope it changes at some point.

Not seeing anything to take a snapshot on Android. In the device tile or the live camera view?

Ah. Got it. I swear I tapped that and it did nothing. Function was not obvious, imo.

Did your cameras all integrate with the names they have in the Nest app?

Four out of my six were added as ā€œOutdoorā€, the camera model, I guess. Iā€™ve renamed them in the SmartThings app but they still show as ā€œOutdoorā€ in the integration manager.

Yeah, thereā€™s no real feedback when tapping from what I recall.

EDIT: Just tried again. I get a message at the bottom of the phone screen that says screen captured.

Yes, all the same as the Nest app.

Yes. I got that after I saw you screen cap pointing out out.

While tapping everything before that I swear it did nothing.

Hmā€¦ I think Iā€™m gonna delete and start over.

1 Like

Didnā€™t help. I get these names

Nest name ā€“ name it gets in SmartThings

1. Garage ā€“ Garage
  2. Master Deck ā€“ Master Bedroom
  3. Garage Outside ā€“ Outdoor
  4. Patio ā€“ Outdoor
  5. Front Door ā€“ Outdoor
  6. Back Door ā€“ Outdoor

All the correct camera names show up in the Google web page used to manage permissions.

Itā€™s interesting that I have rooms in SmartThings named Garage, Outdoor, and Master Bedroom. I initially put the cameras in the Outdoor room. Also tried Kitchen. Didnā€™t change anything. Camera names are somehow getting crossed up with room names.

While setting up I see a message about ā€œnot certified in the United Statesā€

1 Like

Can you change the name in the smart things app?

Issues with Nest Thermostat:

1. No logs within device.
  2. Device not available in IDE
  3. state shows as idle even the heating is on
  4. Automation did not trigger when they were supposed to.

Is this something observed by anyone else?

1 Like

What do the cameras look like on the dashboard view?

Bummer! Iā€™m an actiontiles user and have been waiting for this integration for a long time. This only being able in the ST app is just as bad the Nest app itself :). I hope they open this up.

1 Like

1 Like

Same single width tile as arlo and ring :confused:
And you canā€™t even turn them on or off

1 Like

Yay, now I have my nest hello doorbell integrated with Alexa for announcements when the doorbell is pressed and auto show live video on my echo shows when pressed :slight_smile:

1 Like