Nest integration now available

Hope its not the same team in charge of fixing the non existant ‘ON’ command in most Sammy Tvs

3 Likes

That fills me with confidence. I’ve had lip sync issues with the TV since I bought it.

Do you keep the Hub camera on all the time? I schedule mine off during the day and on at night and when away. I’m wondering how motion sensing will work with that because it does still acknowledge when I walk up to it.

Also which thermostat do you have? I have 2 Gen2 for HVAC and in smart things it doesn’t read the state, so it doesn’t know if its actually running or not. Temp, mode, fan settings all work though.

I have this same problem and have been looking for a solution or acknowledgement of bug. Everything else works but I want to base automation off when my hvac is running and currently smartthings doesn’t see that, always on idle.

1 Like

I’ve tried to add my Nest Thermostat and no luck. I try to add the device (not found with auto search) and go through by Brand ->Next ->thermostat ->Next. I log in and connect to google successfully, but then I get right back to the previous screen and the device won’t add any more. If anyone has suggestions, that would be great!

not sure if this will help…

i guess i am confused when you say it will not add any more.

I’ve had this experience with ST before on other products. In the apo you add, sign in and just land back to the previous screen. For me it worked when I tried again the next day. Clearing your app cache may help too.

After reading this thread I am glad I held off on upgrading my Honeywell to a Nest and will not be until and if these issues get ironed out

I’m struggling to understand what this ‘integration’ actually provides in ST.

I fear this is yet another marketing deal with no actual real-world use.

3 Likes

I agree. My Nest IQ cameras and doorbell show up, but you can’t trigger on “Person”, which is why I bought the Nest cameras (for Google AI and face detection). You can’t turn on or off a camera either, so I am back to manually arming my nest alarm and turning on and off my cameras. This automation is worse than my HAL2000 back in…2000. :unamused:

Also, I can confirm that Nest IQ cameras do not show up in IDE, so no WebCore integration.

how did you do this? I do have everything connected and see my next hello in the Alexa app but can’t figure out how u got it on ur echo screen…

Looks like the camera is on all the time. This is my internet data uses from my cable company. My Samsung TV was alway the highest used because I only steam TV via YouTube TV but now Nest is …

what I did was create a virtual momentary button in SmartThings which shows up in Alexa natively as a contact sensor. I then setup a ST automation So when the doorbell goes off, an automation in SmartThings simultaneously presses the momentary button and then you can get Alexa to run a routine based on the changed state.

The routine is announce and if you also have an echo show, you can use the “customised” Alexa routine action and type “show me the front door”.

Works perfectly for me! Let me know if you need any further details or help.

3 Likes

that sounds awesome…ill try to figure it out but I suck out this stuff I’ll let ya know how I make out…Thank you

I got it working, Thank you again for posting this. I also put that door bell sound to play on the echo shows I have with the “someone at the front door”

1 Like

Great to hear. Yes I did the same. Doorbell sound. Announce “somebody is at the front door” and then also auto show on echo screen.

Now it works like the ring doorbell :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had the “show me the front door” set up also but the video from the Nest Hello does not go away unless I say “Alexa Home” so if I’m not home will it just sit on that screen all day? Did you do something in settings to make it on show the video for a couple of mins?

1 Like

Alexa by default will end the stream after a few minutes (I’m not sure on exact length) but viewing any cameras it won’t do an endless stream… if you want to set your own times maybe in your routine you could add a “wait” of X mins and then a “customised” command of “home” ?

Is anyone else having an issue with the doorbell not being able to trigger a ST automation? Motion detected or being pressed doesn’t do anything. Tried un-linking & re-linking - still nothing.

Hey I was trying to make this work tonight and can’t find a virtual momentary button when creating a device in the SmartThings IDE. And everything else I’ve tried Alexa sees as a switch. So any additional detail you can provide would be helpful.