Official Ecobee 3 Integration

Interesting, but no excuse for the Fahrenheit foolishness, and I’m not about to get out of joint with the American world around me for the sake of a badly-written piece of software.

It seems as @yvesracine suggested, the issues I was encountering were solely on the ST side. I went through my setup multiple times and found no issues. When ST isn’t having issues, nor do I and the integration works. I am very disappointed with Smartthings at this point. I think I will stick with it for a while to see if things get better as the devices I am installing are standard z-wave devices so I can always go to a better provider if needed.

Hi @Timothy_Ward,

Today, I actually sent a new version of MyEcobee device to my contributors.

For those who contributed for the remote sensors smartapp, I also sent a new version of ecobee3RemoteSensorInit with a new Remote Sensor device which combines temperature and motion values.

I tested the new code with several beta testers before releasing it for GA (General Availability).

The code has been stable at several locations, amongst others: one location with 6 ecobee3 thermostats & 10 remote sensors all running properly.

Thnx to John L, Carlo M, Mark K. for their kind help.

The new version is now available at my store:

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/#!store/tc3yr

Many smartapps (which run only with MyEcobee device) are available at my github:

https://github.com/yracine/device-type.myecobee/tree/master/smartapps

Amongst others: ecobeeChangeMode, ecobeeResumeProg, AwayFromHome, ecobeeSetClimate, ecobeeSetFanMinTime, etc.

Regards,

1 Like

I got the emails/updates and followed the directions with the pin setup this morning. Remote sensors have already stopped updating. I went through the IDE and checked and they don’t seem to be scheduled. I have 0% confidence in Smartthings. Nothing works for more than a few minutes, hours, days - or at all in the case of my smart lock.

I just looked under my Ecobee device and I have Token Expired, and HttpResponseExceptions from https://api.ecobee.com as well.

Hi Timothy, please PM your logs and I will investigate. This is not what I’ve observed so far at different locations. Could you re-execute steps 6c to 8.

Sometimes, just updating the code may cause some exceptions after. The ST platform is fragile, I agree with you.

Regards.

P.S. I inserted some defensive coding mechanisms to make sure that my smartapps are re-scheduled, but of course, in case of major scheduling issues like the ones in the past week, my code is not immune to the ST platform issues.

EDIT: EDIT: A new look & Feel is coming, please refer to the following thread:

Is it possible to use the built-in temperature sensors for motion detectors to control another zone like a master bedroom instead of the specific ecobee3 remote sensors with smart things?

Anyone know the real difference between Ecobee3 gen 1 and gen 2? I installed the 2nd generation downstairs. Need one for upstairs. I can get the 1st gen device for about $60-70 less. Wondering if there would be a noticeable difference? It appears the difference may be HomeKit support, but I’m not interested in that anyways.

To the best of my knowledge, the only difference between the Ecobee3 gen 1 and gen 2 is HomeKit support. I have the gen 2 models, and I’ve not yet come across anything that I can do that gen 1 owners can’t (other than HomeKit integration).

I will say that, if you have iOS devices, the HomeKit integration is nice to have; if you’re an all-Android household though, then you should absolutely take advantage of the cheaper price of the gen 1. Those savings will buy you another set of room sensors.

I ended up turning off HomeKit on my devices because once it is turned on you are no longer able to use the “Auto” mode. Here in Texas we can have very wide temperature swings where it can be near freezing overnight and in the 70’s the next day. So not being able to automatically switch between heat and cool was a showstopper for me.

That was one of the reasons I started working on the device handler/smartapp.

Yes, losing the “auto” mode is a bit annoying (and honestly, I don’t entirely get why HomeKit and auto mode are an either/or proposition), and the weather here in NC is just as fickle (Last week at this time, I was shoveling snow, today the high is supposed to be 73 degrees), but I’ve learned to live with it for the convenience of being able to adjust my thermostat hands-free.

This limitation was also a large part of the reason why I was interested in the integration between ST and Ecobee. It would be nice to have a rule that could fill in for the missing “auto” logic.

Does your implementation of the Ecobee3 device type handler expose the HVAC mode so that other SmartApps can query or change it?

Hey, I’m in NC too, and yes the weather has been weird. I do have iOS but don’t care about HomeKit, I’m living inside ST and that’s fine with me. Only 2 people in the house and our heating/cooling needs are pretty basic. Thanks for the info, I will probably go with the gen 1 and save some cash.

Yes, it does. And it also exposes the Ecobee Programs (Comfort Settings).

And sometime today I’m going to be releasing a beta that includes Child SmartApp support that will include the first SmartApp for ST Mode (Routine) integration.

Any update on official integration? If it is 6+ months out I guess I will spend the $15 or $20 or whatever it is for the 3rd party but if it is within 6 months I can do without integration.

If you’d like to integrate without paying while we all wait for a more official offering, you can always use my free (open source) implementation:

As of this morning there are 165 installs being used. And we have an active thread where we answer questions, etc.

1 Like

Hi @kvelec4326,

It really depends on your needs.

If you want a feature-complete ecobee3 integration that exposes all API functionalities, then spending $15 or $20 is not much given the development & testing efforts that I’ve put into the device.

Even with the official ecobee3 integration coming, ST will never expose as many features as My Ecobee device. The ST Stock device only exposes less than 10% of the ecobee APIs.

Please refer to this thread to have an idea of the functionalities exposed to you.

Also, If you’re interested in using smart vents later to enable cooling/heating zoned solutions for more comfort at your home, or just want to use any connected ST temp/motion sensors to ajust your ecobee3’s setpoints then My Ecobee device is definitively your solution.

MyEcobee device is not only a device, it’s an ecosystem of smartapps!

Regards.

I understand you spent a ton of time developing it and that is great but if next week they say they have completed the integration I will be annoyed. I don’t need anything complex, I would like to be able to adjust the ecobee based on routines and turn a plug on a off (for humidifier) based on humidity from ecobee.

2 Likes

Then,just use the ‘free stuff’.

The ST stock device as of now probably will meet your basic needs.

A lot of people are using MyEcobee device for more complex scenarios.

For example, they do not want to create permanent holds at their ecobee thermostat(s) when leaving or coming back home. That’s what you do when using routines and applying some setpoints.

They want to rely on ecobee climates (or programs) for scheduling as the ST scheduling is now always reliable for heating/cooling their home and/or log cabin.

And, they want to control their indoor humidity through their humidifier/dehumdifier/HRV/ERV (very often, their equipment is connected to ecobee).

Those are few use cases, but I have much more complex use cases described at the ST community wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Category:Unpublished_SmartApps

P.S. If you have any questions about My ecobee device and its ecosystem of smartapps, just contact me
at services@maisonsecomatiq.com.

Good Luck!

So is it just me or is everyone experiencing issues again? My setup was operational for a week, but now fails daily again. I’m assuming the stock device is also subject to this?

After re-logging in the MyEcobee device:

getEcobeeThermostats>groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Internal Server Error while getting list of thermostats, probable cause: not the right account for this type (ems) of thermostat [uri:https://api.ecobee.com, path:/1/thermostat, headers:[Content-Type:text/json, Authorization:Bearer zrodPtyU5Zoogfzov8TRJ5cqbck3qrt6], query:[format:json, body:{“selection”:{“selectionType”:“managementSet”,“selectionMatch”:"/"}}]]