Official Ecobee 3 Integration

@compliance, I totally agree.

Personally the only thing I want the Ecobee/SmartThings integration are for some of the little features the native Ecobee app can’t do (like when it senses that my phone leaves setting the system to ‘away’. Or gaining access to the temperatures on the external sensors within SmartThings for alarms (although Ecobee does that too I think).)

That’s actually why I added the IFTTT option to my list of options. That’ll let me set the thermostat and Smarthings to away or home depending on where my phones are… Basically the only thing I really wanted. The rest is just fun.

But I can see why some people would want more. @yvesracine has some smart apps that let you open and close vents for zoning in your house (from what I can tell).

Personally I find the whole thing pretty buggy at this point, which is why I call it a toy or hobby. I’m not going to pretend that any of this software is stable enough to replace an actual HVAC system if that’s what you are looking for.

Okay, I’ve been running a modified version of the default the SmarThingsPublicCommunity version of the device and smartapp for over 24 hours now and have had NO problems with authentication exceptions.

So, based on this, I’m thinking that the connection problems were a symptom of the way that the the handling was done in @yvesracine version.

So rather than taking that as my baseline, I’m planning to use the community version as the baseline and add from there. I’ll be committing some of my code tonight and creating a pull request to (hopefully) get it added to the master branch. If you don’t want to wait until it gets added to the master branch, you can follow along in my edits by looking at the StrykerSKS-Ecobee3 branch that I created. You will be able to get the my current in progress version there.

// Sean

Anyone have an opinion on how to integrate Geo-fencing with my smarthings hub for my ecobee 3.

I want to set it up so when my wife’s cellphone and my tablet is not at home the thermostat sets to away mode.

Cheers,

Matthew

RE: Hacker…

I believe that the term “Hacker” as it is known and defined by those of us in the 40+ year old age range has since been replaced by the term “Maker”. Because the media took something good and mis-applied it to stories about bad things, the term “hacker” is now universally known to be bad people up to bad things. The same can be said about the media and the term “drone” as it relates to radio controlled aircraft.

I know, it is quite annoying, but true.

As far as I know, the term “Hacker” as it relates to those who play golf remains uncompromised. 8)

Hi Matthew,

Please look at the ST community wiki (under configuration) for many smartapps that I’ve developed for this kind of scenarios:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device#Configuration

Amonst others: ecobeeChangeMode, AwayFromHome, resumeProg etc. at

EDIT: As a contributor, you have access to all the smartapps at my githbub:

Regards.

I just bought my Ecobee, sensors, and yvesracines ecobee smart app for ST. Everything installed fine and my sensors are reporting correctly. Now, when I try to change something in the ecobee thermostat the logs report an error the thermostat isn’t updated. The most common one is listed below when I try to change the temperature.

groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Internal Server Error @ line 1318

it also isn’t updating my status when I’m away and return home. The ecobee version I installed is 3.8. Did I implemenmt anything wrong?

@pjoh119519, there has been some changes on the ecobee side of things, and ST is working with them to resolve this issue.

There are some Cloud backend issues and ST is working on it with ecobee.

In order to re-authorize with ecobee, please repeat steps 6c to 8.

I opened a ST ticket (#171366) and contacted jodyalbrittonabout it so that the issue
is escalated to the Engineering team at ST.

Refer to this thread:

Regards.

For those still looking for Ecobee integration options, I just released an updated version based on the stock SmartThings device type/SmartApp. It has been stable for me the last several days. Happy to get more people looking at it and providing feedback on which features they wanted included.

Check out the new thread I created on the topic if you are interested:

// Sean

3 Likes

I definitely appreciate the work that others in the SmartThings community have done to make ST work with ecobee 3.

But SmartThings is being very misleading about their capabilities with ecobee 3 by posting it’s image on their website on a page which has at the top: “… the products listed below are examples of officially certified devices that deliver the best customer experience.” This is at best misleading.

I’m new to SmartThings and misleading statements like this prominently (and apparently from the age of this thread persistently) displayed on their website are very disappointing. It is hard to imagine this is an oversight on the part of ST, and seems more likely to be intentional given the length of time they’ve apparently been making this assertion.

2 Likes

I agree completely with mccormse. I realize most people here have posted regarding the Ecobee 3, but I would like to add that the “ST Officially Supported” Ecobee Smart SI doesn’t work with ST either. I purchased the Smart SI 14 months ago and it has never worked correctly using the ST official device type. It worked with yvesracine’s code for many months until ST or Ecobee screwed that up too. Several emails to Ecobee and ST support have done nothing to correct the situation. ST support basically told me that the Ecobee/ST connection is broken and they have no solid time frame on when it will be fixed. I can accept that, however I agree it is misleading at best and shameful at worst to advertise that the two devices work together. At this point I’ve given up on the Ecobee and moved to the CT100 which has worked perfect from day 1.

Btw, Smartthings isn’t the only company with the misleading advertising. Ecobee also advertises that their products work with Smartthings.

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry about your bad experience with ecobee.

I want to assure you that my Ecobee device now works fine and the related smartapps available here:

I was able to find a workaround to the ST-ecobee connection issues.

FYI, some of my smartapps can reproduce the ecobee3`s remote sensors and follow me behavior by averaging out the temp at different rooms with ANY connected ST temp/motion sensors and thermostats (such as the CT100).

You can refer to the ST community wiki for more details:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleTstatZones

The smartapps are available at my store and can even interact with smart vents to provide zoned heating/cooling solutions.

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/#!store/tc3yr

Regards.

Unfortunately you guys are right, and I’ve brought this up with SmartThings. They agreed that they would look at removing the Ecobee from their website because it’s misleading. But the person I spoke with said someone higher up had to make that call.

However, I could see that the marketing guys would want to leave it up. And if someone complains they could point to IFTTT as a solution that allows SmartThings and Ecobee to work together, no matter how basic.

It’s misleading… but it’s also marketing. I believe SmartThings has a return policy if you want to go that route, but most likely you’ll do what the rest of us did. Complain for a bit and then pay a couple bucks and buy @yvesracine’s code, or you’ll use @StrykerSKS’s code which has been working great for me. or you’ll use IFTTT and you’ll be able to do most of what you want and you’ll just live with the couple of features that aren’t there until someone develops or adds it in.

:slight_smile: Just being honest

Of course I do recommend sending an email to SmartThings that this device matters and they should get their act together. I know I did.

Don’t worry. If SmartThings removed it then Ecobee’s site still says they integrate to SmartThings and has a picture of the Ecobee 3 right here under “ecobee works with smartthings”:

https://www.ecobee.com/ecobee-partnerships/

I emailed their support and asked why they show the Ecobee 3 when its not officially supported by SmartThings and the user created devices have issues due to problems between SmartThings and Ecobee’s cloud infrastructure. No reply yet but I suggest others put in support requests. Squeaky wheel gets the oil and what not.

-Allan

It sucks that wink has the functionality.

3 Likes

Outdone by Wink…I love SmartThings but this is shameful.

4 Likes

I agree, this is shameful. I donated my $20, but have yet to get my integration past the ST cloud-to-cloud reconnection/timeout/sync issues. At this point, it would seem the problem is on the ST side or my config as others have the @yvesracine version working.

My point is that I bought the ST hub based on the preconception that the devices I planned on using were supported officially, and currently. This is not the case and is unacceptable of ST in IMHO.

I’m using the free Ecobee integration through @StrykerSKS’s code. Yesterday it started having issues connecting as well. I opened a ticket with SmartThings and you should too.

I brought back my WINK and bought a SmartThings hub… common Samsung tech giant! Fix the problem! You can’t be outdone by a company called Quirky! :wink:

Since you brought it up, Ecobee support on IFTTT is really offal (sic).

For some reason, perhaps as a joke, the IF temperature triggers only offer odd-numbered temperatures ranging from 45F to 119F, while the THEN actions offer only even-numbered temperature setting from 68F to 78F.

It’s pretty useless, although I do use it to control pre-warming times at room-sensor transitions in my schedule.

That is stupid and hilarious.

1 Like

I’m using °Celsius and do not have this problem. I can actually set 0.5°C increments.
Stop using obsolete units.