Official Ecobee 3 Integration

So whats the deal? You guys have the E3 all over the website but no official device type?

4 Likes

Even Ecobee posted a sexy ad on Facebook about Samsung ST hub. :wink:

Official support is coming, but in the meantime check out the awesome work done by @yvesracine. Very feature complete. I have used this with my ecobee for months.

3 Likes

I have heard that for a while now. I’m aware of @yvesracine custom device type and have used it. Just wondering why they seem to advertise it like crazy but still no official support…

1 Like

see below, apparently there is an official integration.

You can log in to your ecobee account using the ecobee Smart Thermostat under Climate Control > Thermostats > ecobee.

I will need to check to see why we don’t have the ecobee3 listed (I think we were looking at a stronger integration), though it will work with the other two ecobee selections. I’ve used it a few times. (Even suggested an ecobee for my parents.)

I will not be surprised that @yvesracine’s brilliant work will be the “official” app for Ecobee3.

Agreed, it’s great. {20 chars} Annoying rule :frowning:

They really work well with the remote sensors. The sensor in the main unit is prone to draft and the hole behind it will require electricians putty (if that’s what is called).

I had this same issue…as much as a 10 deg. swing! I used silicone which helped some but fact was the wall itself radiated heat.

The extra large base meant to cover holes is supposed to also help insulate from the wall. I have not yet installed that but wish to do so to see if there is a measurable difference as I find it unattractive.

I get couple of degrees swing even now and as a result have removed it from all the modes and use the 5 sensors i have spread across the house. I am looking seriously at Nest 3 for the two heating thermostats if I have the funds as there will not be much of a price difference. I am not sure if I can reuse the sensors on multiple thermostats.

Nest 3: 249 x 2 = 498

Ecobee3: 249 + (2 x 79) ( 2 sets of remote sensors) = 407

Now I am all confused. :slight_smile: Nest 3 will play along well with the Nest Cameras and Dropcams I have.

1 Like

I see more people moving from Nest to Ecobee than the other way around. Make sure you do your research.

1 Like

Hopefully ST pays @yracine for his amazing development on this device type and utilizes the majority of his code and feature sets… but I’m not holding my breath.

@drshaw, I haven’t received any offer yet …:grinning:

2 Likes

i have 2 ecobee 3’s in my home with 5 remote sensors,

Using the official app, it shows the same temp for both and no remote sensor support

@yvesracine’s code works better and both units work independently.
Getting errors with the Remote integration (will delete and re-add the device types this weekend to see if it helps…)

@BatraD, you usually don’t need to remove the device type if you have any errors.

You just need to re-authenticate with ecobee most of the time. .

Regards.

P.S. Also, make sure to have my latest code at github

Another voice asking when we’ll see Ecobee 3 official support. We shouldn’t have to rely on the community to produce plugins for a product you advertise as supported.

Hello @santiagodraco ,

If you can read my code, you’ll realize that it is far more advanced than the stock ecobee device. It basically exposes all ecobee features to ST and it’s probably more robust than the stock one too.

EDIT: My code is now available for download at my store:

There are many mechanisms that I’ve put into my code to make sure that any issues with the ST-ecobee cloud-to-cloud integration (there are some connection issues sometimes either on the ST or the ecobee sides) will raise errors/exceptions to the ST end user so that she/he can take some appropriate actions when needed.

In fact, ST and/or ecobee should probably buy my code instead of developping another one and focus on other devices that are not already available to ST users (such as the Iris water shutoff valve).

In brief, my Custom ecobee Device:

(1) Brings more features
(2) Is more robust
(3) Is part of an ecosystem of smartapps that enable you to better control your ecobee device based on other ST devices such as temp, motion, and presence sensors, and even smart vents!

So, I don’t see how an official ecobee3 integration will bring any added value to the ST end users.

It would be a waste of time and money on the ST side. I’ve probably spent more than 1500 hours to develop my Custom Ecobee device and related smartapps…

Why SmartThings would try to redo it again?

So, why a ST user would wait for an official ecobee3 integration?

If they buy my code, then My custom Ecobee Device installation would be even easier for the end users, and everybody would be happy :grinning:

Please support the ST community developers that work hard to make this platform awesome!

Regards

8 Likes

I can’t wait to get my ecobee3 and leverage your code. I have been lurking on the forums for awhile and you are the man! I will thank you in advance for the questions I might have when I get started, haha. When I get my v2 hub and ecobee the fun will begin. I am pretty savvy and able to cut/paste from github into the code on ST. However, I am not a developer and might need some help. I promise I will read everything first. Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for everything you do and ST would be lucky to be able to buy your code and, like you said, they should!

1 Like

yvesracine kudos to you (and other community coders) for the helpful work you all do. I still believe that a company that advertises support should provide it and not rely on the community to fill the gaps. Otherwise remove the support from their site.

Oh and I hope they do buy your code!

Btw, still trying to get it to work on my system. I might be doing something wrong but didn’t test much. Will play with it again tonight :smile: