None of my devices I used with IRIS will connect with Smarthings hub

If you stick to Z-Wave Plus devices, locks will be happy to join the party :wink:

I have a mix of Zwave and Zigbee. My fan / fan light controllers and smart plugs are ZigBee, my in wall dimmers / light only controls and sirens are Zwave, and Zwave Plus.

1 Like

I am in the same situation John Wash ‘was’ in. I was not here to unpair any of the 30+ devices. (Thanks Lowe’s for disarming my security system for three months.) But now, I cannot pair up any of the devices despite trying the general exclude procedure, etc. The new hub is working fine with the new Ecobee and the Sonos speakers that were setup automatically. I MUST BE MISSING A STEP! But, I’ve really tried to follow all the steps. What else can I do??
Thanks so much!

What type of devices are you trying to pair? If they are Zigbee devices, they must be reset using their individual reset procedures found in the device documentation (search online for it.) After a Zigbee device has been reset, it will pair with a new controller. NOTE: If any devices are old IRis v1 zigbee devices, they will not pair with SmartThings at all. AFAIK, Hubitat Elevation is the only commercial platform with support for Iris v1 Zigbee devices.

If the devices are Z-Wave, you will need to follow the steps in the manual for each device on the procedure to perform a Z-Wave Exclusion. Once you know how, then put the ST Hub in Z-Wave General Exclusion mode and perform the device specific exclusion steps. Afterwards, the device should pair with a new controller.

Thank you for responding! HOLD THE PHONE!
Although I have a few Gen 1 devices, most are not. The problem is that I cannot ‘see’ the device to remove it. So, I then tried to do a ‘General Z-Wave Device Exclusion’. The last step for that process says, ‘The app will indicate when the device is successfully removed. Tap Done’ I never get to ‘Done’.

The Process started working and I’ve now paired 5 or 6 items, many more to go!
The part I was missing is that I thought I would see an icon of the device I was de-register! Apparently, after entering the de-register mode, it is the physical link/signal that identifies the device and de-registers that one item.
Thanks again for answering!

Again, ZIGBEE devices simply need to be physically reset at the device itself. Then they can be paired.

Z-Wave devices need to be EXCLUDED, using a Z-Wave controller!like the ST HUB, in general exclusion mode.

This, you have to know what type of devices you’re using as the process is different.

1 Like

You would be able to get so much more help from the community if you say what SmartThings app you use and what models your devices are. Otherwise, we can only assume you are trying to “exclude” Zigbee devices using the v3 (aka new SmartThings app).

If you use the v2 app, aka Classic SmartThings, then when exclusion is successful, the app will tell you that device was excluded and a “done” button appears.

1 Like