No network connection - when registering hub

Hello,

I’ve recently bought a SmartThings starter kit with the hub (model: STH-ETH-250) included. My first attempt to get everything set up was to follow the instructions to install the app on my phone, put in the batteries and connect the Ethernet and power cables to the hub. I’ve also created a location in the app.

When I attempt to add the hub in the app it doesn’t show up automatically, so I have tried manually.
I can get to 40% progress entering my welcome code, but when I hit ‘Register your hub’ I get this error:

“No network connection - A network or server error occurred. Try again later.”

I’m now stuck and can’t progress. I’ve tried to reset the hub using the reset button at the back. I know the internet on my phone is working (I’ve tried to register the hub using Wifi and mobile data without any luck). I did notice that when I click on the Customer Service link (labelled: “Tap here for help”) that the web page sometimes very briefly shows an error that the network has changed, but it quickly rectifies and loads the web page correctly, so there might be something going on with how the app is connecting to the internet.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. As of now the kit is completely useless to me, and I hope I can get it to work.

(jkp) #2

What is the color of the led light on your hub?

Starts off blue then turns bright green solid

(jkp) #4

I suggest contacting ST support…
https://support.smartthings.com

Will do - thanks :slight_smile:

Found a solution with the help of customer support.

First issue was the App. I had the ‘SmartThings’ App (which you’d expect to be appropriate for ‘SmartThings Hub’, but no) - you need to use the SmartThings Classic App.

Next, the Hub I have is originally from the US and the App assumes your region when it creates a location for you automatically. Remove the location, add a new one and make sure the region matches the origin of your Hub (in my case the US). Et voila! It now works…!