Hub V2 - cannot connect with things app

Hi, I just bought the SmartThings hub (model STH-ETH-250). App from cellphone fails to connect to the hub. So I ping from the cellphone to the hubv2 IP and of course, all look good. So I contact Samsung support as specified on the App. Some clueless guy with an Indian name who can barely read and understand English replies a few hours later asking me to provide him with the model number (which was included in my original message). I reply with the model number (again) and also added the SN. Days later NO reply.
So, useless customer support leaves me with a device that is not working. Frustration frustration frustration.

So, with customer support being non-existent,
where do I get troubleshooting info? How do I make it work?

Also, where do I vent about their useless customer support? I’m seriously pissed with the situation. hahahahaha

Any error messages? Are you selecting New to SmartThings when logging in? I know that sounds unusual but to use your Samsung account with SmartThings, you need to use New to SmartThings to login.

I’m sure that’s very frustrating. :disappointed_relieved:

The cellphone never connects to the hub directly. The cellphone app connects to the Samsung cloud via the Internet, and the cloud communicates with the hub via internet.

If the Internet is not available, the mobile app cannot communicate with the hub even if they are both on the same Wi-Fi. ( technically, there’s no reason why they couldn’t, it’s just not the way Samsung designed it.)

So the first question is, is the Internet available to both devices?

Manual, on-demand control of a device or SmartApp through the SmartThings mobile app always requires an internet connection to the cloud and cannot be performed locally.

There’s no specific error message. Just a generic failed to contact the hub.

The hub LED is green so I assume it has successfully connected to the internet. This happens right after the step I put the six letters welcome code.

I understand why they went down that path (though completely disapprove). Back to the issue at hand, the hub and cellphone have unlimited outbound internet access behind the usual NAT (standard home dsl router setup)

I may be mistaken (I’m not very familiar with the new V3 app), but that looks like the message you get when you’re trying to connect one of the Wi-Fi hubs. The V2 hub model doesn’t have Wi-Fi.

I’m sorry, I don’t remember the exact steps to activate a V2 hub with the V3 app, so somebody else will have to help with that, but I do remember it was confusing. :scream:

( neither version of the app is VoiceOver compatible, so I can’t use them myself.)

Were you following these steps? It’s quite different than adding one of the newer hub models, since those can be automatically discovered with Wi-Fi.

Set up a SmartThings Hub v2 (2015)

In the SmartThings app:

1. From the Home screen, touch the Plus (+) icon and select Add device
  2. Select SmartThings and touch SmartThings Hub (STH-ETH & Others) under Wi-Fi/Hub
  3. Choose a Location or Add a new Location for the device
  4. Touch the map to set the geolocation
  • Touch the bullseye icon in the top right to use your current location
  • Touch and drag to move the location pin
  • Pinch in or out to adjust the size of the geofence
  1. Touch Next

2. Choose a Room or Add a new Room for the device

3. Follow the in-app instructions to connect your Hub, which are reproduced here:

4. Connect your Hub using the included power and network cables.

5. Don’t unplug the Hub during the setup process. Setup will take 5-10 minutes to complete.

6. Touch Next

7. Enter the 6-character Welcome code that was packaged with the Hub and touch Next

8. When the Hub is successfully added, tap Done

How did you resolve this? I am having the same issue!

I didn’t. They say to return it to seller. I can’t as I bought it sometime ago. So sick with a useless hardware.

Ok you definitely were given the wrong code because I was using my old one by mistake and had the same error.

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.