New to SmartThings and have a question

Hi guys,
Just got my self a SmartThings v2 starter kit for a good price mainly because I have just got a Yale smart lock and I wanted more control over it, I have previously been using Home Assistant and before that Home Seer.
I have only had this setup for a day and began with the new IOSapp but found that There was no market place, so installed the classic app which seem a bit clunky compared , So my question is
If I install something from the market place in the classic app will it migrate over to the new app ?
Device I am looking to control are

• Tado heating control
  • sonoff basics
  • Broadlink rm pro
  • Node-red

Thanks in advance

There is nothing called a marketplace in the new app, but most of the same stuff if there in the + menu on the home screen.

Thank for your reply
Yes seen that but all the stuff mentioned in my post are not there, just wanted to know if things would migrate , still learning not even sure how to add third part stuff yet :grinning:

Custom device handlers and Smart apps for unofficially supported devices will most likely need to be installed through the SmartThings IDE (account.smartthings.com). A lot of info can be found in these forums. Just doing a search in this forum may find you an integration you’re looking for. If you don’t find it, there’s a good chance it doesn’t exist.

As far as devices working in the new Samsung SmartThings App, that is yet to be determined. Samsung is still working on the integration of devices between apps. Most of the supported devices will work. However, there is still some question whether the custom device handlers will carry over to the newer ST app.

Of your list, only the Sonoff has official integration in the new ST app.

Yeah, I think of those devices listed, none of them are officially supported. so they weren’t even in the marketplace in Classic. The only Sonoff device supported is the zigbee basic R3. They’re supposedly working on documentation to explain how to get custom DTH to render the UI correctly in the new app. Some of us have reverse engineered what we can in the mean time.

1 Like

“Trial and error”-ed

For Sonoff just search for it. There is a long topic about how to flash them and what DH and SmartApp to use. But here you go:

2 Likes

You might find it helpful to start with the FAQ on using custom code. It will at least get you familiar with the terms and the process as it exists today. The process may change significantly once the classic app is retired (they’ve said that’s going to happen, but not exactly when). But at least you’ll have a better understanding of what you’re reading as you start your research. :sunglasses:

(The topic title is a clickable link)

Also note that as of mid 2019, it is now up to the device manufacturers to provide an integration, not Samsung/SmartThings.

SmartThings has published their API and made the process much simpler with the new app. So we are seeing more and more brands that are now working only with the new V3 app.

That’s a good thing long-term, but it also means that somethings like Node-red Are unlikely to ever have a integration that you can just select in the app.

and some companies like Tado may decide they just don’t want the headache of customer service supporting a smartthings integration, and just stop with Ifttt.

So it’s just very hard to predict what will eventually have easy to install integrations and what will not.

2 Likes

Also, as to your original question, the first rule of home automation very much applies: “the model number matters.“

Some devices installed through the classic app will work just fine in the new V3 app. Others won’t work at all. And still others will expose some features but not all. It just depends on each individual DTH and whether the authors have updated it to work with the new app or not.