SmartThings Community

FAQ: An Overview of Using Custom Code in SmartThings (SmartThings Classic)

So you’re new to SmartThings, you asked a question, and someone suggested “custom code” as an answer.

Or you were browsing the forums, and you found something that sounded like it would be perfect for what you wanted, but again, “uses custom code.”

What does that mean, how hard is it to do, and what’s the difference between a “SmartApp” and a “Device Type Handler”?

(Note: the official terminology has changed a couple of times. “device type handler,” “device handler,” “DTH,” and “device type” all mean the same thing, and you will find all these terms used in the forums.)

SECTION I: SMARTAPPS AND DEVICE HANDLERS: WHAT THEY ARE

SmartAPPS: Tiny Programs to decide what a specific device should do when, or to collect the information from a specific device

SmartApps, including the various functions included in the official SmartThings app, are just tiny programs (written in the Groovy programming language) that handle “Do this when” kinds of situation for one specific device. Whether it’s “Let me know if motion sensor 1 goes off before motion sensor 2” or “Change the setpoint on the thermostat based on the lux level in the sitting room,” a SmartApp is a way of either using information from a device or controlling that device. Most solve a very specific problem. (The exception is the very popular Rule Machine which is a smartapp that is a very sophisticated rules engine. Each RM rule solves a specific problem while rule machine lets you create those rules.)

Many community members enjoy writing custom smartapps, and either share them for others to use or are happy to help write new ones if you have a problem that hasn’t already been solved.

See the community-created smartapps area of the forum for some of the most popular smartapps:

https://community.smartthings.com/c/projects-stories/created-smart-apps

You can also quick browse the section if you only want to see smartapps for lighting or HVAC or security, etc.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

Or ask in the New SmartApp Ideas topic for help if you can’t find what you want:

Device Type Handlers (Also called Device Types or Device Handlers)

Like a smartapp, this is another tiny program. Instead of controlling what happens when, though, the device type handler has an even simpler job. It just translates commands from smartapps into the exact format a particular device requires, and vice versa. A printer driver is one kind of device type handler for a laptop. In a home automation system, every connected device needs a device type handler.

SmartThings provides a bunch of standard device type handlers, as well as specialized device type handlers for devices on the official “Works with SmartThings” list.

But quite often a new device comes along that has features that aren’t yet supported in the standard device type handler. Or a community member comes up with a more efficient way to talk to a particular device.

Then someone will publish a “custom device type handler” so that other people can use it. These will usually be published in the Community-created Device Types category of the forum, but may be linked directly from the topic for a particular SmartApp that needs that device type handler to work properly.

Note that the physical device has to already be manufactured to provide the feature. The device type handler code (DTH) just sets up the request in the right format.

https://community.smartthings.com/c/projects-stories/community-created-device-types

You can also quick browse the section and look at just DTHs for lighting or security devices or motion sensors, etc.:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

If the device type handler is still being developed, you will probably find a discussion thread in the devices section of the forum.

http://community.smartthings.com/c/devices-integrations/connected-things

SECTION II: HOW TO PUBLISH CUSTOM SMARTAPPS AND DEVICE HANDLERS TO YOURSELF SO YOU CAN USE THEM

USING A CUSTOM SMARTAPP

This involves two steps.

A one time process to “publish” the smartapp code to yourself using the Developers section of the SmartThings.com website so it is available for future installation.

Then using the official SmartThings mobile app to install it so you can use it with specific devices.

First, the One Time Process to Publish it to Yourself

SA1) Copy the code from the author.

SA2) Sign in to the Developers section of the SmartThings website so you can access the IDE (Integrated Development Environment). To get there, first click on “Community” at the top right of this page, then click on “Developer Tools” in the top right of that next page.

SA3) Choose SmartApps, then Add a New SmartApp from Code.

SA4) Paste in the code you copied, change anything necessary based on the author’s instructions, then PUBLISH it to yourself.

SA5) Make any additional edits according to the author’s instructions, such as enabling OAUTH.

Now when you open the official SmartThings mobile app, this new custom smartapp will appear as a choice under My SmartApps in the SmartApp section in the Marketplace.

Next, the Install Process to Assign that SmartApp to a Specific Device..

To assign that SmartApp to a specific device:

SA6) Open the ST mobile app.

SA7) Go to the Dashboard, then click on the Marketplace icon (the multicolored asterisk in the lower right).

SA8) Choose SmartApps

SA9) Scroll down to the MY SMARTAPPS section and choose it.

SA10) Scroll down to find the custom smartapp you want, then install it.

SA11) Follow the set up wizard instructions for that smartapp.

Some custom SmartApps also require a custom Device Handler to work. If so, the author will mention that in the installation instructions

USING A CUSTOM DEVICE TYPE HANDLER

Easy!

These steps assume you have already added the device to your account through the SmartThings mobile app. It may be using a standard device type handler, or it may just have been added as a “thing”, but it should show up on the list of devices for your account.

(If this is an ip-addressable device like a camera you may not have been able to add it to your account through the SmartThings mobile app, so the system will not assign it a device ID. In that case you will need to sign into the Developers section (IDE) and first choose My Devices and then use the ADD NEW DEVICE button to enter a placeholder for the device and assign it a unique device ID. You can choose any device type handler for the placeholder since you’re going to change it in a minute anyway. Then you can continue with the following steps.)

DT1) Copy the code from the author.

DT2) Sign in to the Developers section of the SmartThings website. (To get there, first click on “Community” at the top right of this page, then click on “Developer Tools” in the top right of that next page.)

DT3 Choose Device Handlers, then Add a New Device Handler from Code.

DT4) Paste in the code you copied, change anything necessary based on the author’s instructions, then CREATE it for yourself.

DT5) Once the Device Handler is published in your own library, select MY DEVICES in the IDE and choose the specific device you want to have use that new device handler.

DT6) Edit the Device so that it uses that device type handler.

Done!

Now any SmartApp that wants to talk to that device will be able to request the features specified in the custom device type handler. (Again, the physical device has to already support the features, the device type handler just translates the requests between SmartThings and the device.)

SECTION III: CONCLUSION

DIFFERENT PROBLEMS, DIFFERENT SOLUTIONS

So that’s it. You’ll still use the regular SmartThings mobile app, you’ve just added some additional tiny programs to the ST cloud to give you some additional functionality for specific situations.

Some use cases will require a custom device type handler, especially if it’s a device feature which hasn’t been officially supported yet. A good example is when smart bulbs that could change color temperature first became available. (Cool white to warm white.) The standard device type handler could request a change red to blue color, but not request a change in color temperature for one color. The bulb could do it, but SmartThings didn’t know how to ask it to do it. A community member contributed a custom device type handler that could make those change requests.

Some use cases will require a custom SmartApp. For example, one person wanted to make sure the motion detector activated light didn’t come on when his family’s new baby was napping. So another member helped him write a custom smartapp that could disable the motion sensor temporarily when the parent turned off a specific switch in the baby’s room.

Some use cases will require both a custom device type handler and a custom SmartApp. If so, the author of the SmartApp will usually include those directions in the installation instructions.

SUMMARY

If you need to access features that a physical device has, but the official SmartThings device type handler does not support, you may need a custom Device type handler.

If you want to control when a device does something in a way that the standard schedulers don’t handle, you probably need a custom SmartApp.

Some custom SmartApps also need a custom device type handler in order to work properly.

In all cases, you copy the custom code from the author, then use the Developers section of the SmartThings.com website to paste this into your own library.

Once it’s in your library:

For device type handlers, you can then edit a specific device profile to use that device type handler.

For SmartApps, you can then install the SmartApp through the Smart Setup feature of the official SmartThings mobile app. Usually the SmartApp will have a setup wizard that then lets you assign it to specific devices. You may want to use the same SmartApp multiple times for different devices, or perhaps for different situations like one way for “on vacation” and another way for “not on vacation.”

For questions on any specific custom code, ask the author in the topic devoted to it in the community forums.

Also remember that device type handlers are also called device types and device handlers, so you will find references to all three.

You don’t have to use custom code to use SmartThings. The standard features cover many different kinds of home automation use cases. However, if you do run into a device or a use case that isn’t covered by the built in options, it is pretty easy to get help from the community and add custom code to address many different situations.

A Note About "GitHub Integration"

Some author threads will recommend that you use “github integration” instead of the cut-and-paste method.

Github is a site where developers can set up their own code libraries and then share them with others. It’s not specific to SmartThings, but many SmartThings coders use it.

If you use a method called “github integration” you essentially link the developers code library to your smartthings account. Once you have done that, you can follow the publishing instructions from that developer and you probably won’t have to cut-and-paste. (All of the concepts described in the FAQ above still apply, the only difference is the exact process for getting someone else’s code published to your account.)

The initial set up to use github integration is somewhat more complicated than the cut-and-paste method, but it has the advantage that you will be automatically notified of updates to the code. With the cut-and-paste method, you have to check yourself from time to time to see if there is a new release of the code.

SmartThings added GitHub integration as an option for US accounts late in 2015. It is not yet available for the UK.

If you are in a region which does not support github integration or you just don’t want to use it, asking author’s thread if there is a way to “manually install” the code, which should be a cut-and-paste method.

SmartThings GitHub Public Repository (includes The Big Switch and other deprecated smartapps)
Almond Click DTH
How to add DIM WITH ME to MySmart Apps in IDE
Fibaro motion sensor FGMS-001 reporting as Aeon Multisensor
JD's Welcome FAQ
Anyway to put a sleep timer on Nest Thermostat?
New Smarthings Layout with 200 devices (Europe)
How to add a Gitup File into Smartthings - Control ISY through Smartthings
Help to Connect Fabriq speaker with ST for voice alerts
Original & Aqara Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors (contact, temp, motion, button, outlet, leak, etc)
Program Wallmote and GoControl Wireless remote switch
[RELEASE] Enerwave ZWN-RSM2 (v1 & v2) & RSM2-Plus —Smart Dual Relay Switch Module
[RELEASE] Alarm.com Z-Wave Thermostat ADC-T2000
[Release] SHM Delay TrueExit - Create a SmartHome True Exit Delay
Newbie needing Sonoff help....Please
New to ST SmartApp Help
Gradually turn off and on GE dimmers?
Text/SMS Message when Hub Offline?
[WITHDRAWN] MyQ LiftMaster/Chamberlain
Aeotech Multisensor 6 (gen 5 zwave plus, model ZW100-A)
SimpliSafe Alarm Integration (cloud to cloud)
Installing published smartapps
Philips Hue Lux Device?
Adjusting Osram Light Temperature Through Routines?
Pre-Release of Quirky (Connect) Service Manager and 7 Devices
Real idiot here (used Hue bulbs without a hue bridge and now they don't work)
D-Link IP Camera device type (DCS-930L tested)
Anyway to remove power consumption from GE zigbee light switch history
Device handler for Fibaro heat controller
Trying to add Osram Lightify Flex RGBW, but only coming up as "Thing"
Idea: SmartApp directory
New to the Smart Home world - Starter questions
[RELEASE] zStat Manager 2.0
Fibaro RGBW with ST motion sensor not working
Starting now.. and need advice
Install device handler into mobile app
Fibaro Things - General
Garage door sensor - what's everyone here using?
Newbee here, looking for some help with Yale YRD240 lock
FAQ: Samsung SmartThings Button Works but Wont be Discovered by Alexa
Is there a high temperature weather forecast tile?
Using "Hello Home" Phrases with Amazon Echo?
Is there a "guide for idiots" section somewhere?
Hue Dimmer Switch Connected to ST
Smart Power Outlet, configure/disable energy reporting?
Aeon Doorbell Type Beta
Android 2.0 Discussion
[RELEASE] Virtual / Physical Switch Sync
Zwave dimmer to dim OSRAM bulb
European Z-wave, and unsupported devices support question
Aeon Labs Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch not working properly
Turn off light after specific time
Alexa Helper - Change mode or phrase with a switch toggle
Quirky Tripper Support?
Actions based upon who is present?
Nest device type with a bunch of new features
Alexa Helper - Change mode or phrase with a switch toggle
Turn On Switch When Only One Particular Presence is Detected and No one Else is Home
Notify me of kids arrival/departure, but only when I'm not home
Adding smartapp later
Color Temp as a "Change Color" function?
Can I have 2 switches turn on/off a plug that is also on a timer?
Color Temp as a "Change Color" function?
What works in the UK?
Zwave locks/nexia/smartthings
CentraLite Keypads
Z-Wave Smart Fan Control Custom Device Type
How to change device type? Aeon Smart Switch to bmmiller custom device
Can locking my door arm a garage sensor?
Lowe's Iris Sensors (New CentraLite models)
FAQ: How do I change the parameters for a device?
Mimolite input capability?
Basic ST Security set up? (newbie/potential customer question) (2015)
OSRAM E27 Edison Screw A60 ES 10W LED Lightify RGB Light Bulb
Wireless, Battery Operated Wall Switch
If you wrote a device type you want to share, read this! 😎
Wireless Sensor Tags Integration
When are "Hard Wired" Smoke detectors going to be supported by Smart Things
Is my home secure?
Using Securify Contact & Motion sensors with SmartThings
WeMo set-up in UK
How do I integrate my Craftsman AssureLink Garage Door Opener to my SmartThings v2 Hub?
Wemo Maker Integration--help needed
Fibaro 2 Dimmer (212 not 211)
Any pointers to luminance only sensors
GE Ceiling Fan Switch Custom Device Type - Low, Med, High buttons w/no slider!
CentraLite Keypads
CentraLite Keypads
HELP! For a non techie, how do I add devices not supported my Smartthings
Can A Dimmer Switch Trigger Other Events?
Netatmo for UK users (Temp workaround)
New Aeon Labs Doorbell: need device type help
Oh Look ST Automation takes a holiday too! Aww.. cute
Fibaro 2x 1.5kW and momentry switches
How Can I Put Computer to sleep and Wake Computer with SmartThings
Icon shortcut to turn a group on
Hub v2 Siren Lost
Run routines through Alexa
Quirky Tripper Support?
Battery level kwickset 914 not reporting
Eaton RF9540-NAW ASPIRE integration help
PlantLink-DirectMonitor 1.2 Released
PlantLink Monitor 2.0 Released
Weather Panel 2.2: Released
Multi-sensor 70 degrees WAS 70 degrees - same values
How to install an app (for Fiabaro Motion Sensor)
Iris Smart Button
[RELEASE] Lowes Iris and XFinity CentraLite keypad DTH + Apps
New App: Control lighting in great detail with button devices (Aeon Minimote, Enerwave ZWN-SC7)
TP-LINK HS110 Smart Plug w/ Energy Monitoring, Wi-Fi Enabled
Help with SmartThings and Lightify bulb
Can I create a new device and pull from a existing?
Multiple Motion Sensors to control one light switch?
FAQ: When a community created device type is changed,do I have to manually update it myself?
Hue extension bulb direct control without hue hub, appearing as thing?
Help setting up House
Using 2 Motion Sensors To Turn Off Lights
New to GitHub & smartapps
New Device Type Handler for an IP addressable device: How to add your own device type to SmartThings from code
Osram Lightify Smart Dimmer "talk" to a GE Smart Dimmer?
When is smartThings hub going to integrate Lutron?
[RELEASE] Remotec ZRC-90 Scene Master - Button Device Supporting 24 Unique Button Commands
New Guy Getting Started
Cannot dim down to 1%
Iris Smart Plug, IDE, my first device handler... Please help :)
PetSafe SmartDoor Model HPA15-13808 (DTH in post 27)
Osram Lightify Smart Dimmer "talk" to a GE Smart Dimmer?
Compatibility with Z-wave
Confused and trying to get a security system running
Linear WO15Z-1 Nuisance with LED light
Help to Start--How do I add GoControl Devices to my System?
When will Smart things and Nest get along?
Potential SC/Wink user looking to convert. Any Quirky support?
Smart Lighting Not Working
No smart apps have been added?
Connecting Hue directly to ST? Not yet configured listed
Fibaro, parameter settings?
Bloomsky Weather Station
Where do i start?
Fibaro motion sensor grrrrr
Newbie just starting out
Maybe I don't need Rule Machine after all
CentraLite Keypads
Fingerprints - What are they?
Link Cree LED bulbs
FAQ: Github Integration How to Add and Update from Repositories
Writing code
Smartthings Roomba Control via Thinking Cleaner Version 1.5.1 Released
How to? Auto Door Lock after Unlock (Goodnight)
Motion sensor inactivity turns lights off too early (2016 discussion)
Adding punctuation on a line breaks the preview of the linked topic
[BETA] Hue (Re)Connect - with scene handling
Newbie needing help with particle photon blinds
New to smartthings, smart lighting apps are lacking
Removal of Smartapps always has to be by emailing support?
How Do I Create/Modify A Device Handler?
Auto-Lock Door Only
Osram Lightify and changing color temp question
Monitor/Control your Lights/Switches based on the power consumption and illuminance of your home
Wall Switch Controlling Multiple Lamps?
New with Aeotec MultiSensor 6
Any way to get a routine to dim to 15 percent?
PetSafe SmartDoor Model HPA15-13808 (DTH in post 27)
Help with adding new smart app
New to Smartthings and would like to know how to get echo to work with linear garage door opener
Iris Smart Button
FAQ: How zwave direct association changed with zwave plus
Sonos and Hue
Information on connecting custom hardware to the hub?
Yale locks - Remotely change codes?
Working MIMOlite Device Type with Sensor
Quick Integration Help Needed
Leviton Dimmer advanced options - how to configure?
FAQ: For those that are no good with coding? (Dashboards and Rules Engines) (SmartThings Classic)
Using a smart dimmer switch control plugin dimmer
Complete newbie wanting to learn how to install new device handler from published code
SwanOne Outlet (UK) Zigbee
How to add device with custom DTH?
New to Smartthings and would like to know how to get echo to work with linear garage door opener
United security pressure mat
Z-Wave Smart Fan Control Custom Device Type
Hue bulb without Hue Bridge?
Honeywell WiFi Thermostat Setup Guide
Insteon integration?
Devolo Home Control Kit
Is there anyway to assign groups of lights within the app?
Double Tripping Sensor before Alarm Sounds?
App to Manage Shop / Garage Dust Collector / Vacuum System
[Release] Z-Wave.me, Popp, & Devolo Wireless wall Controller & Key Fob (EU), with button controller dimming apps and CoRE integration
OMG - Accidentally blew it ALL away!
New Official Integration: Samsung Multiroom Audio
Control of 2 dimmers with one app?
Will these items work w/SmartThings - not seeing in the official list
Multiple users for prox sensing? Change from Iris?
[RELEASE] 3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostat
Smart lighting tweak - honor me turning the switch on
[Alpha] Lutron Connected Bulb Remote
Go Control battery thermostat partially works
Navigating this community - finding how-to's & ideas (newbies / dummy's guide to extending & leveraging ST)
Device handler question
Automating En-Suite
GE Link Bulb automation not working
Chime alert - Apparently SmartThings doesn't have an answer for this?
FAQ Dimming and turning on/off multiple lights as a group (SmartThings Classic)
Aeon Labs Siren as door chime
How do you group lights so they dim together?
Dimming my lights with GE-Z Wave Smart Dimmer 12724 issue
Best Motion Sensor
Cooper Aspire 4way controlling Hue bulbs
ZWN-SC7 Enerwave 7 Button Scene Controller
Changing Device Handler after Install
[RELEASE] Keenect V1.2.0, optional separate vo settings for cooling, vent obstruction auto clear
Holy Moly - has SmartThings come a long way
[RELEASE] Smart Sump Pump Monitor based on dry/wet seasons and weather conditions
[RELEASE] Manage TV/Game Console Access for your kids
Publish SmartApps for private users
Ceiling Fans & Switches
SmartThings Hub & Motion Sensor, IFTTT & Lutron Caseta
Getting Started - What's popular or cool? SmartApps, Device Types, 3rd party apps, IDE, etc
Where to buy
Looking for instructions - Adding Community App
Excited newbie (EU)
General zwave compatibility?
[RELEASE] D-Link Camera Manager (Connect) - Add your D-Link IP Cameras to SmartThings! Video Streaming, Image Capture, Motion Detection and more
[BETA] Hue (Re)Connect - with scene handling
FAQ: The Many Ways of Detecting Presence
How to you create a virtual presence with IFTTT?
Change tile layout in device type for Aeon Multisensor 6
Presence sensors: how do you avoid smartthings from thinking you're home when you're not?
Fibaro Dimmer 2 Integration
Amateur Questions
Need to reset Aeon outlet almost daily
Turning Motion Detection On or Off on Amcrest Camera
[RELEASE] Aeon DSC17103 Micro Double Switch
Triggering Sonos after motion has not been detected for awhile
Vacation Lighting Director
Newbie I don't get routines, all I want to do is switch a sonos "doorbell" off
Using an open/close sensor to send notice if open at time X
Notify if lock opened with a particular code
Smart Home Monitor - open status improvements
Calling all community members: New SmartApp Ideas
Oh GOD, a newbee question! (Iris Smart Fob)
Is there a SmartApp to open/close Add-A-Motor curtains?
New App: Vacation Light Director
What is a Device Handler / Device Type Handler / DTH
Motion sensor tripped by bugs, animals...beam sensor?
Easy setup for Movie lighting using Hues?
How can I have my Aeron Siren give a short beep when a door is opened or closed?
When/If ... Kumo wireless sensor tag integration with SmartThings hub?
WeMo Switch unresponsive
Set Color of Hue Bulbs without turning on?
How to set up home to randomly turn lights on and off when on vacation?
Play a message remotely on sensor trigger through Alexa Voice
Simple Manual Scenes - Improve Phrases/Routines!
A Short Intro to Scheduling/Device Control/Rules in SmartThings Classic
Virtual Motion Detector - Where do I start?
Multisensor on door + audible chime?
[RELEASE] Simple Device Viewer
HomeSeer HS-WD100+ Double Tap
[RELEASE] Remotec ZRC-90 Scene Master - Button Device Supporting 24 Unique Button Commands
[UPDATED] Osram Lightify RGBW A19/BR30 US version (HA) DTH
FAQ: Solution for Linear/GoControl 3-way switches? (WD500Z-1 and WT00Z-1) (Association options)
Automation Dim Below 10%?
(Tutorial) PC on/off and Activity Monitor with SmartThings
How to install community created smart app
Garden Hue: New smartapp to change hue color on a cycle or random, sunset to sunrise
Connect door sensor to socket?
How to set up a notification with event triggered by two device sequentially?
Fibaro RGBW Controller (DTH link in post 32, police light smartapp link in post 79)
Though off in the app, my bulbs turn on when there's an outage and power's restored
2 doors open (not 1) triggers immediate Echo/Google voice warning?
Older Leviton devices
Step to add an z-wave device WD100?
Battery Operated 3 Toggle Switch for wallmount or table top use (SmartenIT ZBWS3B), Long Install FAQ
Does ST allow setting user codes for kwikset 914 lock?
Outlet Controlled by Temp and Garage Door Sensor
Will it work with my existing philips dynalite
Fibaro FGPB-101-1 US The Button, Z-Wave Scene Controller
New user questions from someone used to Vera
Bali motorized blinds
[RELEASE] Aeon WallMote Dual & Quad - 2 & 4 Button
Alternative to Enerwave Module Switch?
Linking two locks?
Control GE Z-wave fan with a single push button?
Change 3 way switch to 4 way with smart dimmers
Smoke Alarm or Loud Noise Sensor
Help for a StaplesConnect Transplant?
All lights dim dimming and illuminate gradually when powered on and off
Smart Home Kwikset 910 complete remote locking?
Guide me!, add new device Single Switch 2 FIBARO
Lock manager, error refreshing page or problem processing request
Fibaro Dimmer 2 (FGD-212) Pairs but Doesn't Work
Easiest way to get an alarm on my phone when sensor is tripped?
Group Set of Cree Bulbs?
New to Smartthings, help needed
Alarm Control Panel
Showing 0 W on HEM and Smartthing
[RELEASE] Smart Vent Manager - smartapp commissioned by Keen Home
Aeotech Siren "muted" when alarm triggers
Notifications for smart lock?
GFCI Outlet Monitoring for Water System (Heater, Iron Curtain, Softener, etc.)
[RELEASE] Device Monitor - Get Notified if Devices Stop Reporting
Have big question--how do I find and use a custom app for my lock? And what will that change?
How to make the my alarm duration longer? (GoControl Siren)
Everspring ST812 Flood Sensor
OSRAM Flex Full Color Control?
[Newbie question] Nst Manager code error
How to know when a device goes AWOL?
[NO LONGER SUPPORTED - 16/04/2018] - Message Central
Need help with Brimate Temp&Humidity Sensor
Improved Fibaro Button DH
How do I set up a rule to use the chimes on my dome siren?
[RELEASE] Aeon RGBW LED Bulb Advanced Device Handler
OSRAM Lightify surface light?
Copy paste raw android help
New to Smartthings, need help
Configuration Issues - Any Genisus up for a challenge?
Hue Ambiance Color A19 bulb without Hue Bridge
The Laundry Has Finished
Integration of ST into Z-Wave
Is anyone working on Leviton Vizia RF +?
Zooz Siren (ZSE33)-How to make it chime in "Home" and Alarm in "Away"?
Fibaro dimmer 2 not reporting status
FAQ: How can I manage User Codes on a Lock with SmartThings?
UX and Content Designers needed for ST
Unknown light BULBS?
How can I set custom color sequence with ST using Fibaro RGBW controller
[RELEASE] Initial Setup for Ecobee3 & 4, Smart-SI, EMS, Smart-02 thermostats - My Ecobee Device
Looking to Disarm ST Home Monitor but 1 motion sensor still active with notificationx
Need help with Loadsensing for GE Plug-in Wireless Dimmer
Cooper Aspire Scene Controller RFWC5 and RFWC5D Device Handler [beta release]
RELEASE: OSRAM Lightify Smart Dimmer Switch (button controller device handler and smart app)
[BETA RELEASE ROUND 2] Curb Energy Monitor Integration
Can I use a button to toggle a device on and off? Can I use conditions in scenes?
Xiaomi devices on sale (buttons/sensors/cubes)
Home Decorators Ceiling Fan/Light Controller MR101Z - First Impressions
PROMO: DIY Smart Home Online Course for just $15
How to guides and where to start
Best Door Lock ? Auto open when you come home - worst door lock?
Dome Motion Sensor
New App: Vacation Light Director
Help? How the Hell do i install Smart apps? from code?
Trying to use two motion sensors on one switch
Light switch to run Smartthings Routines?
New Fibaro switches FGS-213/223
Devices we don't have
Trust ZPIR-8000 Zigbee motion sensor— works with smartthings?
How can I check polling of a device?
Newbie questions... any help appreciated for conditional programming
Routine linked to smart weather app?
Getting the most out of my Schlage FE599NX
More phones? (UK)
How to configure a simple dimmer? (Have one dimmer device follow another)
Anyone have a good routine for open/close sensors with 1 presence sensor home out of 5
Frustrating first experience
Virtual Thermostat for radiator using Multi Sensor & Fibaro relay (help a newbie!)
Want to Switch from Nexia to Smartthings, need advice
[HOW TO] Add your TP-Link HS-100 Wifi outlets to SmartThings
Presence sensor smartapp that looks at state?
Problem with False Alarms
Error installing SmartApp
Recommendations for Smart Lock
New Fibaro switches FGS-213/223
Improved Fibaro Button DH
Leviton Z Wave Plus Devices Advanced Features
Aspire Cooper RF9500 Device Type (basic DTH in post 6)
New Zigbee Device (Securifi Key Fob)
RELEASE: OSRAM Lightify Smart Dimmer Switch (button controller device handler and smart app)
IFTTT and SmartThings (UK accounts)
How to get a Z-Home Control ZHC5010 Z-Wave switch module to work? (DTH link in post 26)
[Release] Z-Wave.me, Popp, & Devolo Wireless wall Controller & Key Fob (EU), with button controller dimming apps and CoRE integration
[REMOVED] Nest Manager 4.0
Philips Hue with ST
How do you submit your app for approval?
Power Allowance For AC Units
Lock Polling killing battery
Security camera options
Lock Polling killing battery
[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller
Fibaro RGBW controller as a open close sensor instead of on/off?
Entry/Exit delay for SHM
Virtual 3-Way Switch / Dimmer
New Device - Fibaro Keyfob - 24 actions
Dimmer module that can be set to ramp up
[RELEASE] RemindR ~ don’t miss an important event!
Change Parameter 11 on MIMOlite
[RELEASE] HomeSeer Dimmer and Switch (HS-WD100+ / HS-WS100+) Device Handlers
New Fibaro wall plug
Linking Two Z-Wave Dimmers?
Best way to control ceiling fan with lights from always on power (Honeywell 40015 receiver/remote)
Sensibo integration
Crawl space temperature sensor
Device wrong Motion Listed as Door Sensor
Old thread: please delete
Leviton releases 5 zwave plus devices--solves low load glow problem
HomeSeer HS-WD100+ do you need the HomeSeer Controller? How do I connect to SmartThings Hub?
Several sensors unavailable, yet no notifications of this, and system says "everything is ok"
Leak Gopher Valve only works as a valve requiring a leak?
Zen Thermostat Battery Error
Soffit rgbw strip lighting advice (UK)
Adding Smart Apps from the new developer interface help needed
Just wanted to say - Thank-you, Community!
[Deprecated] Thinking Cleaner 2.x (Roomba Control)
Confused about SmartThings--how do I use the code?
Home Decorators Ceiling Fan/Light Controller MR101Z - First Impressions
Some general questions about zigbee compatibility and repeaters
Best Way to Learn Programming for the SmartThings Platform
Install and integration question (Samsung Connect and Homeseer Switches)
Battery Operated 3 Toggle Switch for wallmount or table top use (SmartenIT ZBWS3B), Long Install FAQ
New Virtual Thermostat With Device
Iris Smart Plug WiFi
Multipurpose sensor on garage door - can it text me when status is open at night?
Associating the WT00Z and the WS15Z-1?
Bloomsky Weather Station
Aeon Minimote Buttons Doesn't Show Buttons (January 26, 2018)
[BETA] GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus Dimmer Switch With Double-Tap, Associations, And All Configuration Options
[ABANDONED] Fibaro Wall Plug ZW5
Stelpro Orleans SOR Series High End Convector
Fibaro dimmers wiring question (UK)
HOW-TO: Control your Curtains with an Amazon Echo (Alexa + SmartThings Hub + Aeotec)
Poor Mans Garage Door Opener help
[RELEASE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb
[RELEASE] Neato (Connect) V1.2.3 (Botvac Connected Series)
So many ‘Things’
Schlage FE599 Lever lock, need some info on settings and apps please
Any way to list Device activities?
Newbie Stumped after 12 hours research switches and relays: set up one to Control another?
[RELEASE] Remotec ZXT-120 AC IR Controller (2015)
[RELEASE] Sonoff, Sonoff TH, S20, Dual, 4CH, POW, & Touch Device Handler & SmartApp ($5 & $10 Smart Switches)
Room Fan Control using Temperature?
Somfy blinds and zrtsi
Getting started with Core (for Dummies)
Question about connecting 12 volt LED lights
How to get an alert in case of power outage/failure?
Qubino z wave relay
How are you guys "Automation-triggering" your Fibaro RGBW (confused Noob here)
Trane XL624 Code
Use Iris Keypad to trigger alarm and Door Chime?
CentraLite Keypads
Presence detection on zone level
Where to start and is ST really the right tool for me? (Home theatre project)
ZIGBEE example error
Use a relay to control Pentair LED Pool Light?
Recycle timer / repeat on off command / cycle timer?
Lutron RadioRA (version 1) and SmartThings saga. (Prologue)
Yale lock notifications
Make house look occupied when we are away?
Integration of ZWN-SC7 with SmartHub
FAQ: How do I add / delete user codes on my new Schlage Connect lock?
Need Step-by-Step Instructions for Non-Developer to Integrate Somfy ZRTSI (Model 1811265) with Smart Things
[RELEASE] Evap Cooler Thermostat
Fibaro Motion Sensor - New device-handler with all settings and auto sync feature
Hue Motion Sensor
[DISCONTINUED] Blink Camera Device Handler/SmartApp
Wall controller to use instead of Leviton VRCZ4-MOZ?
Osram/Sylvania Lightify (it works)
FAQ: Fibaro FGS 222 Relay - Installation Guide / How to for beginner
Newbie help with first smartthings project: control light with motion sensor?
Nuki smart lock device handler
[RELEASE] Iris Smart Plug (3210-L) Zigbee Plug with Z-wave Repeater
Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support
Wall switch don’t work with Fibaro d2
Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support
[OBSOLETE] D-Link DCS-930L IP Camera DeviceType
[Release] [Closed] Google Assistant Relay V1 - Google Home Audio Notifications!
Need help with Vision in wall 2 relay switch
Osram/Sylvania Lightify (it works)
How do I add a custom device handler?
FAQ: For those that are no good with coding? (Dashboards and Rules Engines) (SmartThings Classic)
[OBSOLETE] D-Link DCS-5020L Tilt/Pan Day/Night IP Camera DeviceType (Now With Video Streaming!)
[RELEASE] Enhanced Linear GD00Z-4/GD00Z-5/GoControl/Iris/others Device Handler with Switch and Automated Garage Door Open/Close when People Arrive/Leave/Timer
[RELEASE] TCP Connected bulbs work with SmartThings Again!
Aspire Cooper RF9500 Device Type (basic DTH in post 6)
[Depricated] Lock Code Manager
Copy and Paste from Github.... Mimolite_garage_door_opener
Z Wave Door-Open Chime support (Philio?)
Fibaro RGBW Controller (DTH link in post 32, police light smartapp link in post 79)
Updating Temp Sensor Device
Temperature "Fibaro Motion Sensor" and SmartThings
What is the difference between Smart App and Device Type
Looking For Info on Automating My Lights
FAQ Request: Installing custom device type/device handler/smartapp
[Depricated] Lock Code Manager
Schlage or Kwikset?
Automating my home on the cheap, wired automation
Ecobee 3. I'm new :)
Kodi/XBMC light control - a (relatively) simple how-to
Adding SmartApps
[RELEASE] Garadget (Connect)
Low voltage 3 wire fireplace need to hook up to zwave switch
Just bought a schlage lock...question
Regretting SmartThings
[Release] Vehicle Remote Start (SmartStart) Integration
Please help with device handlers
Why DH over what exists when physical device exist?
Virtual Device Editing
Recommend a temperature sensor? (2017)
[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller
Loking for help with Aeotec HEM ZW095 Gen 5
2018 ST Motion Sensors - Any reviews yet? Comparisons to previous generations?
Notifications after multiple motion sensors?
ADT SmartThings Automations?
TBK Dual Dimmer--setting associations?
Difference between IFTTT, Stringify, WebCore, Device Handlers and SmartApps
2 Random disconnects overnight: Best ways to troubleshoot?
Sensibo integration
Everspring SP816
Everspring SP816
[BETA] Hank One-key and Four-key Scene Controllers (Z-Wave)
Door sensors to shut down AC?
Wall-Mounted 120V Button Controller for Smartthings?
(Martin Jersonsky) #2

Once I have created a new device type, where do I see it in the smartphone?

You will see the new device handler (formerly called a smart device type) in the IDE, which is a developer tool. You view it through a web browser, not through the phone app.

You should have created it through the IDE as well, so you go through the same process to sign in.

Some custom device types will automatically be assigned to a new device when it is paired. These are usually zigbee devices.

For the others, you sign in to the IDE and follow the instructions in DH5 and DH6 above.

OSRAM E27 Edison Screw A60 ES 10W LED Lightify RGB Light Bulb

For some reason I can’t edit the first post in this thread anymore, but the forum categories for community created smart apps and community created device types have moved.

If you are looking for community created smartapps:

https://community.smartthings.com/c/projects-stories/created-smart-apps

And device types ( this is a brand-new subcategory, so it may take a while to get populated. Also check the regular “connected devices” subcategory for now.)

https://community.smartthings.com/c/projects-stories/community-created-device-types

But at this point there are so many different ones that it’s going to be faster to use the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki.

(Dale C) #5

@JDRoberts Incredibly helpful in understanding the SmartThings system :+1:

(Mass Imo) #6

If I want to develop a smart app where can I get the Dummys Book (and examples to copy from) to developing these apps. I want to do more functionality of my devices and I think I need to create something. I used to be a software developer and now just manage a team of developers for work, but would love to create some for my use and then share them.

Click on the “community” link at the top of this page and then look for the “developer documentation” link at the top right.

Follow-up questions can be asked in the developer section of this forum:

https://community.smartthings.com/c/developers

Thank you JD! I’ve been “playing around” with my Smartthings system for about 2 years. And with the help of your tutorial, I just successfully “copied/used”, my first custom SmartApp & Device Type. A BloomSky weather camera.

Now I have 3 other things to attempt.

The hardest part was finding & figuring out that “Developers” site. I wish ST’s would make all of this “stuff” easier.

Many Thanks,
Murray

I totally agree. Although new to ST, I find working w/ SmartApps and DTHs to be extremely painful. I have read blogs that mention apps, only to search without any success in finding them. If it takes 2 YEARS to learn enough to complete the first app, then ST is going back to the store. What happened to the IFTTT feature? That’s never spoken of!

(John) #13

ST is very extensible. Admittedly kind of misleading when people look at what you can do versus what’s available without learning a few things. You either live within the walls, find and use the community (requires some learning), or outright learn how to code. Personally, I love the flexibility. If you’re not a coder, checkout CoRE. If you are, it’s not that tough.

SmartThings is very versatile, but definitely lacks discoverability. A lot of that is made up for by this community, which I have found to be very helpful and very active, and which can get you a quick response to most questions. :sunglasses:

The following might also be of interest:

The official blog is always interesting, but unfortunately they don’t go back and update it as things change, and things change often.

Thx JD for the link to the article. While it definitely helps to understand the v2 app, I find ST lacks overall instruction and guidance. Connection was easy and quick which excited me. All my IRIS devices linked without issue BUT the keypad. My wife wants a simple chime to sound when a door is opened and a simple interface for arming. Since I am not a Java (or Groovy) programmer, I started with searching written DTHs to support devices and Apps to integrate actions. I tried to integrate Iris Keypad (which has a lot of discussion in the commune) but there appears to be no official app to support it. I tried one from Mitch ?? that partially works. Then I hear about CoRe and unlock manager and … but cannot find the apps within the smartapps due to poor organization and search tools. This has really frustrated me with a deadline to get done by Friday. Can anyone provide simple step by step directions and links to everything needed to make an IRIS keypad activate an alarm mode and chime with door openings?

Use Iris Keypad to trigger alarm and Door Chime?

Thanks John. I agree it takes learning more than a few things, especially the community. I have seen several blogs re CoRE but have yet to find the app. Can you provide the link?

(John) #17

Here you go:

CoRE and Piston Rules Engine, first design steps

If you use the magnifying glass in the upper right, you can search this thread or any thread.

EDIT: Here’s the GitHub (it’s in the thread above; https://github.com/ady624/CoRE)

@khill
That project would be off topic for this particular thread, but I have started a new thread for you and hopefully people will be able to answer your questions about door chimes there.

(Tim Slagle) #19

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Use Iris Keypad to trigger alarm and Door Chime?

(Jeffrey Baclaski) #20

So what does it mean if there is no create button?

As long as you’re working with a Device Handler, not a SmartApp, there should be a create button at the bottom of the “from code” form.

So check to make sure you’re in the correct section of the IDE.

If you are, and you don’t see the blue button, contact support.

(Scott) #22

@JDRoberts, can you link to how to add a custom device handler or SmartApp from GitHub. I’d rather not copy/paste, but use GitHub Integration to make it easier to get notifications and update it when there is an update.
Thanks.

Good idea! Someone else can add it if they like, either here or in the community created wiki. :sunglasses: I rely on text-to-speech software, so I can’t really do anything with Github.

The authors of most of the very popular code have generally put installation instructions in their author threads which would cover the github piece. They still refer people over to this thread to get an explanation of the concepts, but the specific installation process may be somewhat different.

I think somebody did a thread on github integration, but I don’t remember where that is. Again I can’t read most of those posts. @tgauchat or @jody.albritton might know if there’s a write up somewhere.