New SmartThings Schema Integration for Arlo

FOUND THE FIX !
The existing Link to Arlo must be broken, then add Alro back into SmartThings.
See email I sent to both SmartThings and Arlo Tech Support below:

Arlo Support,

Ref: Interface to SmartThings, not reporting Motion, or Battery Level to SmartThings - Arlo Case 42930589

After reviewing your link to: How do I integrate my Arlo cameras into the Samsung SmartThings app?

It was found that your information / steps are associated with the OLD Classic Version of SmartThings which was discontinued over 2 years. Your steps were close enough that an experienced user, like me, could figure out the correct steps within the “current version”.

However, the steps you currently show are only associated in installing a NEW User Integration, which does not fix the issue.

The correct and missing steps are:

NEW User, How to Integrate my Arlo into SmartThings App.

1. In SmartThings App…….
    a. Click on “Adding a New Device”
    b. Click on “Device”
    c. On the Add Device Window, Scroll down to “Select from List of Devices”
    d. Click on “ By Brand”
    e. Click on “Arlo” then “Camera”
    f. Click on “Arlo”, then Next
    g. A List of the Arlo Devices/Cameras will appear
    h. Click on “Done” and Arlo will require you to Lon Into your Arlo Account, name and Password.

EXISTING Integration Users, How to reestablish a NEW Integrate Link my Arlo into SmartThings App.

1. If your SmartThings Account is currently Linked to Arlo, you must:
    a. Delete all Arlo Cameras from SmartThings.
    b. Delete the Arlo Hub from Smartthings.
    c. When you do this, and both are required, it Breaks the Link, between SmartThings and Arlo.

2. Once that Integration Link is Broken. Using the SmartThings App…….
    b. Click on “Device”
    d. Click on “ By Brand”
    h. Click on “Done” and Arlo will require you to Lon Into your Arlo Account, name and Password.
    i. This creates a New Link and fixes the problem.

Note: The existing SmartThings Link to Arlo must be broken First, otherwise it will not fix the issue.
Also, if you have several Accounts, or multiple locations using 2 Arlo Integrations, you have to duplicate these steps for the other locations.

Rick

Arlo Support,

Ref: Interface to SmartThings, not reporting Motion, or Battery Level to SmartThings - Arlo Case 42930589

After reviewing your link to: How do I integrate my Arlo cameras into the Samsung SmartThings app?

It was found that your information / steps are associated with the OLD Classic Version of SmartThings which was discontinued over 2 years. Your steps were close enough that an experienced user, like me, could figure out the correct steps within the “current version”.

However, the steps you currently show are only associated in installing a NEW User Integration, which does not fix the issue.

The correct and missing steps are:

NEW User, How to Integrate my Arlo into SmartThings App.

1. In SmartThings App…….
    b. Click on “Device”
    d. Click on “ By Brand”

EXISTING Integration Users, How to reestablish a NEW Integrate Link my Arlo into SmartThings App.

1. If your SmartThings Account is currently Linked to Arlo, you must:
    a. Delete all Arlo Cameras from SmartThings.
    b. Delete the Arlo Hub from Smartthings.
    c. When you do this, and both are required, it Breaks the Link, between SmartThings and Arlo.

2. Once that Integration Link is Broken. Using the SmartThings App…….
    b. Click on “Device”
    d. Click on “ By Brand”
    i. This creates a New Link and fixes the problem.

Note: The existing SmartThings Link to Arlo must be broken First, otherwise it will not fix the issue.
Also, if you have several Accounts, or multiple locations using 2 Arlo Integrations, you have to duplicate these steps for the other locations.

Rick

That doesn’t work for me.

Well…

After I created the new Link 3 days ago, it work flawlessly.
Now, this morning after 3 days, I see that it is not working again.
SmartThings and Arlo needs to work together and fix this.

Sorry

Funny thing is, even though Motion detection stops coming over to SmartThings soon after break/fixing the Arlo Linked Service re-integration, Sound detection from my Arlo Cameras is still making it over to SmartThingsb even after Motion detection stops coming over to SmartThings.

Arlo has gone downhill since they split from netgear. Luckily, I got arlo way back when 5 cameras were free, so I’m grandfathered in for 5 cameras for free. I would never pay them a fee, not worth it. I’ve had good results with ReoLink cameras and an NVR.

SmartThings has gone downhill since Samsung took over, and I’m a Samsung fan, have many of their products. I was on smartthings way back as well, used it on a windows mobile phone at first, running win8 mobile, that’s how long ago I was started with smartthings. Back then it was more stable, even when I switched to android, the app was better than it is now. I have 62 smart devices, and all were in ST at one time, but slowly I started removing them and just using the devices app to control it, just works better.

Would be nice if they fixed this issue soon, but knowing arlos track record I’m not holding my breathe.

Also had it working for a few days, and stop working sometime after midnight last night.

Seems like they may have an oauth token expiring and not being refreshed or something.

Are things working like they should in ST again? I see the essential doorbell is down to £75 on amazon and was thinking about buying for St integration and finally ditching eufy.

Reading some of the reviews in amazon and reading the issues in here is making me think twice!

I do not think the integration between Arlo and smartthings is reliable for motion detection or doorbell pressed.

I personally use IFTTT for my doorbell. So when somebody presses the doorbell it triggers IFTTT, which then triggers a Virtual Switch in Smartthings. This Virtual switch then triggers an automation where it plays a chime on several speakers.

This works great and works everytime.

You can have up to 5 of these actions for free on IFTTT
You can also trigger on Motion on IFTTT

However, what actually works directly between Arlo and Smartthings, is to turn camera on/off.
i use this when ever i turn the alarmsystem off (SHM), then i also turn my indoor arlo camras off so that they do not record and do not use battery. When alarmsystem is turned on, cameras is also turned on.
This works flawless directly from smartthings to arlo

I almost gave up on Arlo providing motion detection to SmartThings, and was also thinking of leveraging IFTTT to turn on various outdoor lights when some of my outdoor cameras detected motion at night. Even though I pay for IFTTT, for those Integrations that aren’t native to SmartThings or Google Home, I’d really prefer to minimize the number of ‘moving parts’ / systems for automations. So I delayed doing this for awhile. By the time I was about to give in to this a couple of weeks ago, Arlo’s motion detection started working again with SmartThings. So didn’t need IFTTT.

Similarly, I used Alexa.

As others have mentioned, is there still no way to disable motion alerts/recordings and calls from a doorbell by turning the device on/off or using silent mode? The option to turn a doorbell on/off exists in SmartThings but it doesn’t seem to work? Anyone had any luck with this?

I have just installed Arlo Video Doorbell (wired) type AVD 1001. Suppose its integration with Samsung Smart Things is supported. However, trying to add the doorbell to Samsung hub the authorization fails: Trying to link my Arlo account in the Samsung app, I get the message that my phone is not recognized. The authorization codes sent to my Arlo account mail are received, but not accepted.
BR
Antero Vatanen

This integration is completely worthless to me… Arlo video popups on my Samsung Qled TVs do not stream video from the Arlo cams that have a Secure Home subscription. The Arlo cams that do not have a subscription attached do stream video in the TV popup. All cams are Arlo Essential cams. This is ridiculous. Paying for a subscription to record is in essence loosing the ability to see video popups on my TVs.

Same here! Very annoying! I have made multiple calls to Smartthings and Arlo. When speaking with Arlo, I asked when this will be resolved, they stated that there was no timeframe. I said, well ironically, if you go onto the Arlo website, you are still selling cameras and saying that there is a SmartThings Integration, and honestly that is not true. There is no integration at all, as there is no functionality available within the integration.

2 Likes

It’s nearly unusable. They honestly deserve a class action lawsuit. It is the biggest pile I have ever used/demoed.

1 Like

SmartThings on my Samsung 2019 QLED HDTV is streaming my Arlo Pro2 camera feeds.

However, I’ve never really used the SmartThings app and notifications on my HDTV since I’ve always thought the integration was very slow and an extremely lame interface using the HDTV remote control for interaction. Even though my Bluetooth trackball mouse is connected and works in the HDTV browser, it doesn’t work in the SmartThings app on the HDTV (just lame). Besides, my mobile devices can bring up the camera feeds much faster then the lame SmartThings app on the HDTV.

Also, using the my.smartthings.com website via the Fire TV Silk browser (since the built-in Tizen browser won’t allow logging into SmartThings) is even better than Samsung’s lame HDTV Tizen app, but it won’t stream video from from the cameras.

The part that upsets me the most is not being able to set the mode status of the hub.

1 Like

Agreed, honestly that would be a huge start, we could set the mode, and have a mode of
“Away” = record, send notifications, and a mode for “Home” = record.
That would at least get us up and running, i dont mind going into the arlo app to view the recordings for the time being. But right now, my 6 cameras are just a decoration… Risky.

1 Like

I leave Arlo in ‘Arm all Devices’ mode, and use the Arlo app’s Geolocation Mode in order to use two different security modes, one for Away, and another one for Home with each security mode set to different camera response settings. I only use SmartThings to Turn On/Off (Enable/Disable) the cameras because when the camera is Off it won’t do anything in Arlo regardless of which Arlo security mode it is set to.

One of my issues is that if a camera is On with an active security mode and the internet is down, there is no local way, other then unplugging the base station, to change anything and keep the siren from going off.