My morning app just started, it's 9:40 PM. WTF?

It is a specific time, I’m not using sunrise it’s set to 6:00AM.

That is a popular time, perhaps move to 5:58am?

See, this doesn’t make sense to me for two reasons. First, there should be no concept of popular time, these jobs should be running locally on my device and only my device should care about it. Even in the cloud this shouldn’t be an issue. Second reason (in my case) is that it just went off at the wrong time. I could see it being delayed if it was “busy” but why would it go over at 9:40PM when it’s set to 6:00AM?

Shoulda, coulda, woulda… Tell it to SmartThings engineering geniuses who foolishly believe that the cloud shall deliver them from all evil. :smile:

Pretty much everything runs in the cloud, specifically the routines and the scheduler. Your scheduled routine got stuck in some gawd forgotten event queue until it was kicked off when the server restarted or thomething or other. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s how you can figure out what caused it to execute:

Log into http://ide.smartthings.com and click My Locations. Select “List Events”, and make sure the filter at the top is “From Location”.

You’ll see there the log of events happening at the location level. That may give some insight into what caused your routine to execute.

The other place to check is:

From “My Locations”, click “List SmartApps”. Click on the routine that executed, and select “List Events” in the top right of the popup. Make sure the filter at the top is “all”.

Here’s a mode change event from my account that was automated (Source=APP):
CloudApp

Here’s a mode change event from my account that was manually actuated by clicking a button in the mobile app (Source=USER):
CloudApp

2 Likes

I love how we have to debug why routines that should have fired at sunset or sunrise did not execute…only SmartThings would require their customers to dig that deep into routines that should execute flawlessly…

What’s next…checking why a Do Loop did not Do? :rage:

We’re not customers, we’re beta-testers who chose to pay for the privilege of testing their half-baked software. :smile:

2 Likes

@kurtsanders and @geko. I agree that troubleshooting failures should be integral part of the the support provided with the purchase of the hub. However, there is a bright side to this. It’s called the DIY option. Try troubleshooting Wemo, Nest or Harmony…you’re left out in the cold for days with no way to know why things happen or did not happen. At least with ST you MIGHT be able to do it if you have time, scheduled time off from work or enough curiosity to be perplexed. :smile:

Interesting! I have two Ecobee thermostats, two Harmony Ultimate remotes and I have NEVER had to trouble shoot their devices and iOS Apps for over two years. They are reliable products and quality manufactures which offer quick phone and email support when I have questions, and best of all, they perform as expected when I push a programmed button or change a HVAC setting, unlike SmartThings that offers little or reliable support and frequent cloud abnormalities, firmware updates that brick my V2 device.

I appreciate SmartThings programming and debugging tools because I am technical by education and have the patience and time, but I cannot believe SmartThings expects that the average consumer is that tech savy to dig into random ST events using the IDE that may or may not execute on their own, especially like sunset and sunrise settings which was the issue above.

Many of us are just at the end of the rope with their backend cloud issues, lack of Chat Helpline or email, and self help via this forum.

I was hoping that they were offloading much of the cloud issues to the V2 hub, and we could skip all these issues that have plagued many of us depending on consistent handling of events

2 Likes

This happened again last night. As a developer myself I have no idea how they are screwing this up that bad. It’s set for 5:57AM and it’s going off at 9:40PM. :frowning: I guess it’s time to look at alternatives, this is not a usable system. :frowning:

I expect that the SmartThings Help Desk will eventually recommend to you that you schedule it around 3:00am to get it to fire closer to the desired 5:57am! :joy:

ST has been completely screwed up the last couple of days so I wouldn’t waste time trying to figure it out until they’ve fixed the problem. http://status.smartthings.com/

1 Like

And that’s exactly what I’ve been waiting for…well over 2 moths and counting (see picture in thread below)…

[quote=“SBDOBRESCU, post:17, topic:34946”]
And that’s exactly what I’ve been waiting for…well over 2 moths and counting
[/quote]I started using ST about a month ago and I’ve had constant problems. At the moment I can’t even load the SmartApps list on my phone. If things haven’t gotten any better in a week, I’m going to look elsewhere too because this is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s time to give up on SM, at least for schedule events. I removed the smartapp yesterday that does my wake up and guess what? It still went off at 9:40. Oh the perils of a company thinking everything should be run in the cloud. So even after it was removed it’s still going off, ST has some really sh*tty software that’s for sure.

My Good morning routine always fires wildly off schedule. It is set for 6:05 AM generally. It fires at 1:15 am, 11:41 pm, 12:08 am, just completely random. Did all the suggested fixes of deleting and recreating routine; changed the time to “refresh it”. Still occurred. Only the last two days has it fired well in recent memory.

All that tells me is things are well broken behind the scenes because thats not even a simple time zone error, its just the wild, wild west under the hood.

Listen, if you have an open platform for HA rules (which is what is good about ST) and not locked down to fixed use cases then damn right you should be expected to debug reasons why/why not IMHO, if you can debug you can work around issues, however here is the rub what happens in the real world, when you do debug like i have done many many times recently and the result of that debugging? 0 entries in any of the IDE logs/events…now that is what you should be shouting about.! for example the platform update this week, stuff wasn’t firing from smart app’s i debugged, found 0 entries to explain the cause. i spent about 3 hours debugging and deleting/recreating rules before the issue appeared on the status page, and even then i want 100% sure i could correlate it with the limited input.

I have better success with my good morning routine by firing from an event. I have a rule in rule machine to which specifies that between the hours of 05:30 and 11:00 to cater for weekends also, when i/or the wife wakes up and goes into the en-suite bathroom it triggers the Morning routine, this works extremely well and never misses.

now what would improve that would be if we could get the Night and Wakeup triggers from our Microsoft Bands and feed that into ST, that would be ace, i’ve been looking at the SDK of the band but i’m not sure if its doable which is a shame

I actually am very competent at debugging code and sometimes find it rewarding :wink:!

However, it is very challenging and :rage: frustrating when one has to use the basic ST IDE along with primitive event logs to deal with erratic SmartThings backend routines. I have stopped most of my critical HA routines (Locks, HVAC, Garage Door, etc) until ST engineers can stop the bleeding. Hopefully 2016 will be the year!

yup, and here’s hoping they allow us to specify times in the events window so we dont have to troubleshoot immediatly and can take our time up to 7 days, my mouse scroll wheel needs oiled its been scrolling so much.