Mobile device presence broken with iOS 11

Still not fixed for me even after 2.8.1. App still shows me at home when I left for work 30 minutes ago. Opening app does not cause it to update my location.

Installed this morning at home. Left house 45 minutes ago, still shows me as present on the app even after opening it and specifically clicking on my phone in the list. Closed app and reopened, now shows me as away. I wouldn’t say this issue is fixed.

After the update, I am seeing a lot of phone has left…phone has arrived…left again…within a few minutes while I am home.

WiFi is on

I left the house 3 hours ago and still shows I arrived last evening at 5PM, same with my wife’s phone. I opened the App and it shows me at Home and unable to get it to show me Away. Same thing with my wife’s iPhone. I moved the location geofence like others recommended and still can’t get either phone to show we are Away. I am about 40 miles from my home currently…

I really feel like I’m repeating myself here but iOS 11.1 FIXES THE ISSUES! You are just going to have to wait for Apple to release it.

6 Likes

2.8.1 isn’t working on my wife iPhone 6, it was working on the 2.8 version with 11.0.3 op system. This is getting ridiculous , my iPhone 8 is working her isn’t with this 2.8.1 version, they both worked on the previous ST update.

Really I don’t think this is because of Apple and waiting for 11.1 to fix it sounds as if that will yield no result. ST has been a mess with presence for a while and has been inconsistent before.

Come on ST get it together please.

I just updated to 11.1 Beta 4 today and am seeing much better results as well. On a side note I have seen the exact same issue with the Nest app (my cameras are still on when I get home).

1 Like

Yep, same thing here.

I’ve seen problems with my August app detecting arrivals as well. Hmm.

Ours was working better but 2.8.1 broke it where I can’t get them to update at all now. While I have had issues for months with presence, I have always been able to get them to update by leaving the app open. Now that is not working…

I have never had an issue with presence on my Android (currently 7.1.1) up until last week. Coincidentally, I am participating in the Account Migration beta and my presence stopped working or reporting at all. So, initially I thought it had something to do with the beta, but just prior to migration, I updated ST to 2.8.1.

Resolution:
After playing with the Geofence and location not updating at all for several days, I bit the bullet and removed my phone from SmartThings IDE and then added it back in, and of course had to manually add it back to all my routines, smart apps, ifttt, and Action Tiles, where I had it before. Before you delete your mobile device in IDE, make sure you make note of everything it is being used by first.

Presence is now working flawlessly for me again.

It seems like there are so many different types of issues causing presence issues, and where Nest and August are concerned, obviously this is not an ST issue, and more than likely an OS or specific phone issue. I know this doesn’t give much promise for those on IOS, however if 2.8.1 of the mobile app broke your presence, that’s worth a shot to see if it resolves your issue.

It’s gotten fairly quiet in this thread.

With the more recent app updates targeting this issue, are people who were having problems when they updated to iOS 11 finding that mobile presence is more reliable again?

FWIW, my wife’s iPhone 6S is used as a mobile presence sensor in our ST setup. She updated her phone to iOS 11 inadvertently maybe a week or so ago , and I haven’t noticed a significant change in how mobile presence is working for her. I’m still hesitant to update my phone though.

It’s still not perfect… but the latest updates have improved it for sure. Pre-iOS 11 it worked so well as to be nearly magical. Now it’s a bit more like a favorable coin toss.

Mine totally broke, but wasn’t sure (and haven’t heard) if it was the fault of 2.8.1 or the Samsung account migration beta. Ended up adding my phone again and deleting the old one. Seems to be behaving better now.

It’s inconsistent at best even with the newest update sometimes it will work and sometimes it won’t with 11.0.3 and ST 2.8.1

This is my experience as well. Worked this morning, but had to force it yesterday and the day before.

My wife and I are still having intermittent issues with iPhone presence under iOS 11; she is running 11.0.3, and I am running 11.1 public beta 5, both with the latest ST 2.8.1. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling ST app, as well as removing and recreating the iPhone presence sensors. When presence is stuck, opening Google Maps or another location-enabled app and then reopening ST app usually resolves the issue, but it stops working again within a day or two.

I finally just removed my presence device and re-added it. Things are working much more reliably since I did that, although there has been at least one event that was missed.

Both mine and my wifes mobiles have been behaving erratically since the IOS 11 update.

Just seen an updated ST app release 2.9.0 today so hopefully this fixes the issue

My Android phone works perfectly, my wife’s on the other hand is an absolute nightmare.

2 days in a row that it hasn’t logged that she has left. She upgraded last night to 11.03 in the hope that would fix things but nope…