Migration to Samsung Account: duplicate location?

Hi there

I opened my Classic SmartThings app this evening and was told we need to migrate your account. Not a problem, I already had a Samsung account with the same email address and had set it to the same password.

So when prompted to enter my Samsung email address, I entered it and then the password. I was informed that the password was incorrect. I reset the Samsung account password and continued the migration. After 2 minutes I was told the migration was complete and that I would be logged out of any other device and that I should continue to use the Classic app. At this point I was put back in to the Classic SmartThings account and everything was working as it should be.

I checked my other device to find it had been logged out. So I logged in, I now dont have the option to select a Samsung or Smarthings account, so I used my Samsung one with the changed password. Login was successful but there all of my devices and apps had disappeared.

Some of my automated events still worked so it was still working. After a bit of digging it looks like a duplicate location has been created with nothing in it. This looks to be the default location now when signing in to the classic app, when I select the other duplicate location all my devices and apps are back as normal and can be controlled in the app.

Can the empty duplicate location be deleted now?
Or will this break something when the migration to the new SmartThings app is complete?

FYI: In order to delete a Home Location that has nothing in it:

• Login to IDE at https://account.smartthings.com
  • Goto Locations
  • If you have multiple Locations, select the invalid one
  • Make sure there is no Hub associated to it
  • Scroll to the right and click Edit
  • If the Default Location shows “true” (will be read only)
  • If it is “true”, go back to Locations and select your primary (Real) location and set the default location to “true”
  • Now you can edit/delete the additional Home location as it will automatically be set to “false”

or contact ST support at https://support.smartthings.com

Thanks jkp

That resolved the duplicate issues, lets hope its not needed further down the line. :slight_smile:

Can I ask are you using Android or iOS? I have an Android phone but SHM is not showing up in the new app. Do you have it? I’m trying to figure out if it’s just not been rolled out fully yet in Europe.

The new app hasn’t been rolled out fully anywhere. The Classic app should be used

Hi Paul

James is correct, as part of the migration over to a Samsung Account. I was told to continue to use the legacy app. They were still adding features to make it more usable, even though devices now show up and can be controlled in the new app.

If is it is of any value I use an iOS device.

Thanks! I figured as much, it doesn’t really make much difference to me which i use (even though aesthetically i prefer the connect app), its mostly out of curiosity that i ask also it gets confusing/worrying when you see so many posts referencing the new app and migration etc, i tend to miss stuff like this until well after everyone else is already bored of it and then im like “oh they have the internet on computers now!”