Matter question

I’ve removed everything but my Z-wave devices from Smart Things hub. I am eagerly awaiting the first Matter-Zwave bridge. Not even HA is planning to support Bridging at first.

Zwave/Matter is much more difficult than zigbee, thread, or WiFi /Matter.

As you may know, the Matter project was originally called β€œProject ChIP.” The IP in chip stood for the IP addressing protocol. Zigbee, Thread, WiFi, and Bluetooth all already use that. Zwave standard does not. (There was an old zwave initiative, z/IP, that did, but no zwave hubs currently on the market do.)

SI Labs is planning to eventually create a platform (the Unify SDK) that hub manufacturers can use that will bridge Matter to zwave (via MQTT!) , but it’s still just in testing. And that will require a whole new zwave hub (not just a firmware update). Plus you’re going to see a lot of pretty diagrams showing matter/zwave via Unify, but they don’t detail the addressing issue, which is big for multiendpoint devices. Essentially the zwave controller is going to have to proxy an IP address for each endpoint. It’s not impossible, but it’s not easy, and existing zwave hubs don’t do this today. :thinking:

They haven’t said so, but my guess is we won’t see that before zwave 800 is widely deployed. (Series 700 is just gaining traction now, and current SmartThings/Aeotec hubs use Series 600.) So likely at least 18 to 24 months, and that’s if hub manufacturers pour a ton of resources into it.(there are technical reasons why this will be easier to do with series 800.)

It’s the same reason why there are several zigbee to HomeKit bridges today (Philips Hue, Aqara, Ikea, Zemismart, lidl, Homee, and several more) and so far just one zwave to HomeKit bridge (ThinkA, which is only available in Europe, costs four times as much as an Aeotec hub, and doesn’t support locks).

https://www.z-wave.com/shop-z-wave-smart-home-products/thinka-z-wave

The only zwave hub manufacturer I’ve seen say they intend to work with Matter is the new zbox from Zooz, but it’s in their β€œsomeday we’d like to” bucket, not an actual initiative.

https://z-box-hub-thesmartesthouse.happyfox.com/kb/article/1184-z-box-hub-frequently-asked-questions/

So, yes, someday there will probably be a native way to get at least some zwave devices to work with Matter, but it will likely require a whole new hub and my personal guess is it won’t happen before 2026.

Maybe somebody can come up with some kind of homebridge equivalent before then, we’ll just have to see. But you’re going to see β€œMatter bridge” hubs with zigbee and the official Matter logo in a few months. Zwave will take a lot longer.

4 Likes

Were the Matter onboarding issues ever fixed? I’m trying to onboard an Eve Motion sensor (updated to Matter) and also getting errors on the last step.

they told me that I had too many drivers installed (21). Hub resources are not enough to run the Matter device

oh boy. I’m at 18 drivers and 92 devices.

1 Like

Looks like at least some of the Eve matter devices are now working with SmartThings, with some hassle to get pairing completed
https://www.theverge.com/23513535/matter-smart-home-device-testing-eve-google-apple-samsung

1 Like

Yes they are. Was pretty easy after I figured out Fire tablets running Fire OS 7 won’t work.

But Eve Motion lux is stuck at 1.

2 Likes

I am getting very confused! I have an ST wifi hub ET-WV525 and it never gets mentioned along with the V2, V3, Aeotec hubs.
Will the ET-WV525 wifi hub get Matter and or Thread?

Matter, yes. Thread, no.

1 Like

Thank you. I am becoming overwhelmed with trying to keep up all the changes going on.

3 Likes

Looks like tplink matter smart plugs with claimed SmartThings compatibility out of the box
Available from tp link website in USA .
Looks like this is matter over WIFI rather than thread.
NOT available in uk yet.

2 Likes

I’ve one on order! Wondering if the Smartthings WiFi hubs are already compatible with Matter given the latest firmware update. Once I test it I’ll let you guys know :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

According to the support site, 45.9 is the minimum firmware for Matter. But I assume they have a switch on the backend they need to enable for it to show in the app and allow you to add a Matter device

Also, Samsung Family Hub devices (like a refrigerator) and the newest Samsung TVs can serve as hubs for Zigbee and Matter devices as well as be a Thread Border router by adding the SmartThings Hub Dongle to the device.

bep@debian10:~$ st edge:drivers:installed
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
 #  Label                        Name             Device Id                            
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
 1  SmartThings Hub - FamilyHub  SmartThings Hub  0a72d990-60f0-4e35-9838-a9363a357a30 
 2  SmartThings Hub              SmartThings Hub  2ca01359-7f67-469e-9887-172e72b0423f 
? Select a hub. 

I’ve just got the matter enabled smart plug and can confirm that I was unable to add it using the Smartthings WiFi hub. As soon as the plug was connected to the mains it was detected automatically by Google Home and the Smartthings app, however when trying to pair it I got a β€œyour hub does not support this device” message (attached). I was able to add it to Google Home and the Tapo Apps. The only way I found to control it thru Smartthings was by connecting it thru the cloud service. Hopefully Matter is soon enabled on the WiFi hubs

2 Likes

Same experience on the same hub and likely the same Tapo device :slight_smile: There does not appear to be Matter over Wi-Fi support in the ST Wi-Fi hub as of today. There has been no answer as to when or if support will be added.

2 Likes

I wonder what would happen if someone with a smartthings Wi-Fi mesh hub added the new Samsung smartthings station to their account? :thinking: its purpose is to act as a matter hub, and it supports both Wi-Fi and thread for matter.

2 Likes

I think I’d be able to add the Smartthings Station and pair the wifi matter device to it. However, any automation that requires the usage of any of the sensors paired to the WiFi hub will be forced to be executed on the cloud, defeating the purpose of Matter local control…

1 Like

True, but you would get the other matter benefits, in particular, having a wider selection of hopefully less expensive devices to choose from. So it might be attractive to some people and not others.

When Samsung team will look for hubs ST Home Connect and ST Wifi adding Matter? These are original Samsung devices, without descent attention and support.