Lowes Iris Smart Button $6.25 (clearance)

I’ll gladly pay for USPS if you want to dispose of them, just PM me.

I didn’t have a problem getting them to pair, but their performance, stability and battery life make them completely useless for me.

Luckily, I got mine basically for free when a Lowe’s had the kits on clearance for $52 - $15 off $50 + free Iris Hub.

1 Like

I saw the sale and bought 4. So far the two that I opened are working great. One operates some lights in my office space that are too far from my echo dot to yell for, the other controls the fan and my wife’s lamp in the bedroom. Trying to think of fun things to use the last two for. Maybe an upstairs garage door button.

I’ve opted to just remove the button functionality and place them around the house for cheap temperature sensors. I’m using Pollster to ‘refresh’ them every 15 minutes because they don’t poll on their own. Because of the battery reports, I’m going to keep an eye and see how it goes… luckily my test subject came with 100% battery.

edit: words

3 Likes

not ALL of them… i bought 3, of those i got two to pair, then one of those just “dropped off” and wouldn’t report anything. resetting/re-pairing did nothing to fix the issue. the third was a dud, DOA. so in my case, 33% success rate

THIS ^^^^ has been my experience with them, EXACTLY!

See my comments about what I had to do to get them working in the main thread for this device, HERE.

@tommyincville
Please PM me if you want to offload them. I’d pay shipping.

@tommyincville I’ll pay shipping for some of these too. I know some others have already posted this but I figured I’d ask in case there are any left.

just wanted to say thanks for the heads up. I was able to find a lowes near where I was at this weekend that had 4(!) in stock for $6.25 and the keypad for $10. Used the 15$ off $50 and basically got a smart light bulb free :grin:

So I’ve got one of these hooked up to my system and another sitting in the box in the back bedroom waiting for a use case and picked up a keypad this weekend.

Battery in the one that is hooked up seemed to drop really fast. It’s been up for maybe a month and it’s down to 11%.

Sounds like you just have a bad battery. Because they report battery level on steps and not true percentage you may get some weird levels when they start getting low. I’ve got several of them around my house that poll every 15 minutes for temperature updates and I’ve only seen one drop in battery level but it already came with a low (33% battery).

Getting ready to pick some up tomorrow. What is everyone’s favorite use case for this?

I’ve got them in every room as temperature sensors. Some are programmed for smart toggle switches.
In closet lighting control of H801 controllers in 2 rooms. By front door to control front patio smart bulbs (on a hot line) without a switch, as well as long press to run “goodbye routine”. By the garage door as a welcome home trigger, and long press as goodbye trigger. Desk lamp(s) control.
Wide variety of stuff. A strong zigbee mesh is required, they will not find hub even at 20’ with a wall or 2 in between. If you have repeaters strategically placed, they work great.

I’ve got mitchpond’s DTH installed and set as the device handler for the button, but I’m not getting temp reported. Any ideas? I’m sure it’s something stupid I did.

Sounds like you just have a bad battery. Because they report battery level on steps and not true percentage you may get some weird levels when they start getting low. I’ve got several of them around my house that poll every 15 minutes for temperature updates and I’ve only seen one drop in battery level but it already came with a low (33% battery).

And you’re right… it’s now reporting 44% battery.

ST found my button and it showed temp without me having to do anything with the DTH. I just looked in IDE and its showing the button as Type: ZigBee Button. It even named it “Iris Smart Button” when it found it.

I added the Iris Smart Button device type and all future buttons found that device type.

Here is the one I used:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mitchpond/SmartThingsPublic/master/devicetypes/mitchpond/iris-smart-button.src/iris-smart-button.groovy

Thanks guys! You weren’t kidding. These things have no range whatsoever.

I have not had any range issues, but I do live in a townhouse with the hub centrally located, so even the farthest reaches from the hub are not a terribly long distance.

I haven’t had any range issues either… mine go through several walls without issue. Now what I have noticed is that they start sucking pretty bad when they get around the 33% battery range. Just keep a few CR2450 batteries around in case one starts to go :slight_smile:

It should be noted that I don’t have a strong Zigbee mesh in my house so these are connecting directly to ST (unless they mesh through each other). Most of my sensors are far from each other so they wouldn’t mesh well anyway. The only other Zigbee devices I have are GE Link lights and they only relay to other Link lights, IIRC.

Is there any way to adjust the temperature setting. I would like to use mine as a cheap temp sensor, but the temp is way off. Thanks

They don’t seem to have an offset but it shouldn’t be too hard to add to the device handler.