Linear Garage Door Opener Stopped Working

Anybody find a solution other than replace? I am having the exact issue as posted above:

Worked fine for about a year. Same symptoms as described above, the mobile app still communicates but the Linear simply beeps, reports status correctly, no flash, no door action (open or close).

I put a continuity test on the relay of the Linear and it definitely is not switching so it must be on the same circuit as the light which also went out?

iā€™m seen multiple accounts of Linear sending a replacement unit

Iā€™ve tried the one suggestion of replacing the sensor battery to no avail. Looks like the only thing is replacement.

Iā€™m just another in this. Has ST support offered anything. We canā€™t all have power outages that caused the issues.

I ended replacing mine with one on sale at Lowes. It has been working fine. The issue seems to not be ST but all device related. The device doesnā€™t seem to be designed to work for the long life service

Same. Mine stopped working about a month ago. Just beeps and nothing happens

Nortek Security and Control is concerned with the customer experience. Technical support is open to any consumer who purchased their Z-Wave Garage door opener on Amazon. If you are experiencing an issue please be sure to contact us at 800.421.1587 and follow the prompts for Amazon customers or go to http://nortekcontrol.com/support/technical-support/technical-support-chat/ to Chat with a Nortek Control Technical Support representative.

Terry Oā€™Neal
Manager Nortek Security and Control Technical Services

2 Likes

Terry:

While this looks all well and good I tried your suggestions. The first tech I talked with Jack ended the chat a couple of minutes into the support - which initially seemed to be going OK. Second tech Hever stated since I was not with a company he could not help.

There are LOTS of reported issues in forums with these devices and when they work great they are awesome. I just cannot drop $90-100 every 15-18 months (conveniently just out of warranty) when the device just out of the blue stops functioning! Have tried all of the suggestions I can find in forums and NOTHING helps!

Very disappointed.

1 Like

Fortunately - you can now purchase an additional 4 year warranty for $6. Looks like a good purchase given the issues above. BTW - same issue as the rest of you and I had two go out the same way around the same time!

Add me to the listā€¦ Mine just died too after 10 months. Itā€™s definitely not ST or software related. Bought mine from zwaveproducts.com and will be calling this week to see if they will replace.

Does anyone know of alternative solutions?

UPDATE: beware of zwaveproducts.com: although their website says they honor manufacturer warranties, they wonā€™t help me with my broken GD00z; instead sending me to the manufacturer website, which is Nortek Security & Control. Theyā€™re not responding to my email. UGH

As an alternative you can build your own using an ESP8266 and ST_anything. I replaced the Nortek product that failed and this has been a great replacement for less than $20

Can you share more details on this ? All we really need is a simple momentary-on switch. I originally considered a Wemo maker, but it would have cost more than the GD00z by the time you added a multipurpose sensor. Donā€™t think they are even available anymoreā€¦

Add me to this! Mine had exactly the same issue right after 12 months. Definitely thereā€™s something wrong with the product considering all these complaints. Wonā€™t touch any Linear product in the future.

+1. Add me to the just about one year failure point. Beeps but thatā€™s it. Status shows correctly in app.

+1 here, too. I just checked my Amazon account; looks like I purchased this in Jan 2017 for ~$85. It stopped working about a month ago; Iā€™m just now having the chance to investigate. Same exact symptoms as described above: appears as active in the ST app; responds with beeps when I activate it; just never actually makes the garage door move. I removed/readded, etc. Going to try the ph number from @terryoneal, above.

Call Amazon directly - mine died and I called Amazon, and they shipped me a new one free. I am a Prime member and buy a lot of stuff on Amazon, which may have contributed to how quickly/easily they resolved this issue for me. But definitely worth giving it a try, youā€™re under a year since you bought it.

Wanted to add on that mine has as well died after about a year of working flawlessly. It shows the correct status, opened closed in ST. It also says opening or closing when I try with the beeps and flashingā€¦ but doesnt actually open or close the door. Tried new battery in the door sensor, tried re-adding the device, made sure my connections were still good to the garage unit. Terrible quality that this many people see it die after a year.

Exact same situation for meā€¦ I just looked at Amazon and I bought it on Nov 16 2016. Argh.

+1 ā€¦ beeping, but no flashing. Fail. Roughly one year from original purchase.

Call Amazon, complain nicely but firmly. They might send you a new one.