Level smart lock

New form factor smart lock. Not a lot of info. Entire lock hides inside deadbolt. Preorder now. Got some funding from Wal-Mart

3 Likes

Very interesting, and pretty cool idea. I like how they fit everything inside the door. I can’t find any info on if it’s just wifi, and/or if it includes zwave/zigbee capabilities.

1 Like

I looked at the website and couldn’t figure that out either. The snippet captured above mentions Bluetooth.

Based on the size, I’m gonna guess that’s the only radio.

1 Like

Big money behind this…

3 Likes

It’s very cool if you don’t mind not having a keypad. And you have an iPhone.

It’s a Bluetooth HomeKit lock. No other integrations at present except with its own app. No WiFi: if you want remote operation, you have to use HomeKit.

6 Likes

Maybe it’s just me but, how do you recharge the batteries on that thing? Do you have to disassemble your lock every time for a charge?

Never mind the battery is in the lock plunger itself… not bad to replace, but I’d kinda want that part to be solid metal.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly

1 Like

The website says one single CR2 battery.

Is one CR2 going to last long enough?

Can that work? My August lock takes 4 AA batteries and even with 4 AA batteries longevity is not great!

On the one hand it looks very very cool!

I sorta say this jokingly, but if I were to replace my August lock, I think I may have thrown out the inside thumb screw part of the lock because with August you do not need that part.

It’s a patented design using Bluetooth. I’m sure they were aiming for batteries to last a year, they should definitely last six months, but we may have to wait for field reviews to find out. :blush:

1 Like

anyone tried this yet? Is there any way to integrate it to SmartThings via HomeKit?

I came across this thread trying to determine if my Level Locks work with SmartThings. While I’ll keep looking for that particular answer, I’ll answer y’all’s questions:

We have two. I love them.

If you do not use Apple Homekit they only function within bluetooth range of your cell phone. With Apple Homekit they are accessible from the internet.

The battery compartment is easily accessible without dismantling anything. You just extend the deadbolt while the door is open and unscrew the cap.

You do need to chisel a bit of the door jam to make room for the larger unit but that’s trivial with or without experience.

I’m happy to provide video of ours if anyone is considering this and would like to see it in action.

1 Like

I also have one. Just got it this week. I had my local locksmith install it for me - about 30 minutes of his time; the alignment was tricky in my 90 year old door. He was impressed by the build quality. It really is a nice piece of equipment.

I’m happy with the Homekit integration for now. I suspect someone will figure out how to make it work with ST soon.

I bought one and it works great with my Apple phone.

That’s unlikely. There is no direct smartthings integration with other HomeKit locks like the Schlage Sense which have been out for two years now. Same with the Fibaro HomeKit sensors. HomeKit security intentionally locks things down pretty tight. :sunglasses: The manufacturer can choose to provide additional integration options, as August has, but if they don’t then it’s just not going to work with smartthings at this time.

You can use Homebridge to integrate your smartthings devices into HomeKit And create some partial integration that way, but it doesn’t bring your HomeKit devices into smartthings, it’s going the other direction.

1 Like

I got the Level smart lock as Beta user because I was so impressed with the design, ability to still use existing key, and have it hidden is a huge plus. I was not disappointed about the design and quality. Installation was simple and it works great.
I notice a question about the battery life, I have yet to change the battery and it shows in excellent range in the app after about 15 months. But to be honest, I do not use the front door often as I usually come from the garage. I can predict that the battery will not last as long if you use the battery to open/close the lock often.
There is no SmartThings integration which is the main disadvantage as most of my home is automated. It is using Bluetooth (latest version also has RF type technology which I do not have), so you need a phone to open the door (or Siri with iWatch that I need to try).
Having said that, it has some cool features for easily share access with family members. And ability to temporarily grant access to others (visiting relatives / neighbors etc).
I hope that you find this useful. And if someone finds a work around on how to integrate w/ SmartThings I would love to learn about it.

1 Like

Hmmmmm….:thinking:

1 Like

Yeah, the company’s answer was pretty weak, since you can make it more secure just by swapping out the key cylinder. Which means they could’ve used a different part and made it more secure. All their discussion about how nice it is to have an automatic lock isn’t really relevant to the vulnerability that has been pointed out, since the weakness is in the standard lock portion of the device, not in the smart controller. :thinking: