Smart deadbolt recommendation?

Any recommendations? I would like reliability and able to provide access to someone remotely. Like provide them a temperary code, or Bluetooth access.

Any of the “major” brands with keypads works well, as I believe having a keypad is essential. Pairing can be tricky if you are far from the hub, so force-setup of the lock before installation may be helpful (or a very long ethernet cable so you can bring the SmartThings Hub to the lock).

Personally have been quite happy with Schlage Connect:

5 Likes

Same, I have 2 schlage locks. The only downside is they don’t reykey physically easily. But you can add a code in the ST app remotely in about 20 seconds, and remove it similarly.

2 Likes

I found rekeying the lock very simple after watching a few YouTube videos like this one. I didn’t buy their kit but instead used a half inch round drill bit to hold the springs in place. I used the pins from the old deadbolt so my key remained the same.

But yes I agree with other that Schlage smart locks are great. I have heard the same for Kwikset. My recommendation would be to go with what ever brand of lock you have in your home.

2 Likes

The Bluetooth radio in the smartthings hub has never been enabled, although there are a couple of locks that can do both Bluetooth and communicate with smarthings via Z wave. So it really depends on your exact requirements. Different things work for different people.

The question of a keypad or not again just depends on your own particular requirements. Many people are very happy with the August lock, which doesn’t have a keypad, for example. You can add a separate keypad if you need one.

The device class features thread has a post on locks you would probably find interesting (This is a clickable link)

1 Like

I think most smartlocks that have Bluetooth versions don’t simultaneously support z-wave/zigbee? In other words you can have Bluetooth support, or integrate with ST. But not both, for most locks at least.

Edit: I guess I cross-posted with @JDRoberts, and provided less detail than him (as usual :wink:)

3 Likes

There are a few: August, Danalock, and some of the Yale models like Conexis, for example. It just varies from model to model, you have to check the specs for any specific one that you are interested in.

August is interesting because with the pro model and the bridge, it’s the only lock I know of that can work with both Zwave and HomeKit. :sunglasses:

1 Like

The advantage to having a keypad on the lock is that you can, at least within the SmartThings environment, use your unlock code as security disarm code - so you don’t need a separate keypad for that.

If your security system is different from SmartThings, this will not work.

1 Like

There are lots of advantages to having a keypad, but some people want a retrofit lock where they are not changing any of their front door exterior hardware. Or they may live in a condo or apartment where they don’t have a choice about that. Choice is good. :sunglasses:

two things i’d love in locks

1. quickset to release a zwave-plus lock… I dont want to switch locks company as I have all single keyed… But becuase they wont use repeaters (due to security) the door farthest away in the garage (hub is in center of house where it should be) has issues communicating periodically.

zwave plus would be good for the extended range

2. the idiotic rules about no double deadbots in the usa. Fire hazard… Do they really think that stops us, I just put manual/not electronic dual deadbolts in. With a glass door to deck we leave it unlocked anyway unless we leave the house. I really would like an electronic verison here but NO they know better than us and need to protect us.

Thanks for your help guys! Looks like the August Smart Lock Pro has
Bluetooth and Z Wave. …so I should be able to program access remotely
with the wi-fi bridge. I think.

Many, many, building code rules seem “idiotic” until one of your family members is unable to escape a fire due to the lack of a key (or the extra time to retrieve it) to unlock the door to the safest available egress.

Yes, perhaps it should be a personal decision; but then don’t expect your home insurance company to offer coverage for injury or loss of lives due to fire. Libertarianism technically works - but only if folks are smart enough to understand all the potential consequences.

“Underwriters Limited (UL)” is called that because insurance underwriters have studied and measured the risks of this stuff (etc.). It took the loss of hundreds of lives before the code authors decided that inside key locks were not a good idea.

3 Likes

Kwikset has zwave plus versions of almost all their lock models now:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/regions/2/categories/6/products?company=234

In addition, even the last generation Kwikset locks did use repeaters. The only issue is that the repeater closest to the lock has to support beaming. But other than that you can use any Z wave repeater along the message path. So if you’re having trouble with range, it should be pretty simple to fix. Just remember to run a Z wave repair utility after you add the repeater to the network. :sunglasses:

If you check the forums for zwave controllers that do provide network maps, like vera and homeseer, you will see lots of people reporting the performance of various repeaters with Kwikset locks. There may occasionally be a gen three device that doesn’t support the S0 security protocol, but those should be fairly rare. Certainly pretty much any Z wave plus repeater should be OK, although you could always check the conformance statements to be sure.

2 Likes

I cannot run repair. If never completes even though all devices are working
fine. Support told me you really cannot run repair with 130+ devices.

Kwikset has zwave plus versions of almost all their lock models now:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/regions/2/categories/6/products?company=234

In addition, even the last generation Kwikset locks did use repeaters. The
only issue is that the repeater closest to the lock has to support beaming.
But other than that you can use any Z wave repeater along the message
path. So if you’re having trouble with range, it should be pretty simple to
fix. Just remember to run a Z wave repair utility after you add the
repeater to the network. :sunglasses:

If you check the forums for zwave controllers that do provide network
maps, like vera and homeseer, you will see lots of people reporting the
performance of various repeaters with Kwikset locks. There may occasionally
be a gen three device that doesn’t support the S0 security protocol, but
those should be fairly rare. Certainly pretty much any Z wave plus
repeater should be OK, although you could always check the conformance
statements to be sure.

BS we have a slider that opens on the same deck literaly 20 feet thfrom the door we have double deadbolts on anyway. Just not electronic ones
. The is no law or reduction in insurance if a homeowner makes the decision and installs it himself.

This varies depending on where you live. You need to check with your local township. Quite a few have a requirement that for any building where people sleep, a primary exit (there can be more than one of these per building) cannot have a lock which requires “special knowledge or tools” including keys.

But the fire safety codes are set city by city, so it might be fine where you live.

Code references:

1 Like

NH … live free or

I should also add that some townships have an interesting code, where you are allowed to have a double keyed lock but you are supposed to leave the key in the interior lock anytime someone is home, even if you are asleep. So fire safety trumps burglar protection, but you are allowed to use them for burglar protection if you’re going to be away from home.

This type of code is most common in areas where there’s a lot of vacation homes that are only used for part of the year.

And some towns have updated the code in the last four years to allow an exemption to the “special knowledge” requirement if someone with Alzheimer’s lives in the home. You’re still not supposed to use a keyed lock on the interior, but you can use one that requires a special code or tap pattern.

So again, there are variations depending on where you live. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Just as I thought zwave plus kwikset aare NOT OUT yet
I ordered one from amazon and got older zwave. Called kwikset and asked about correct part number and told they wernt out yet.

Solved my issue… even though kwikset does not have z-wave plus out yet, they do have zigbee. I have a zigbee outlet in garage as repeater. Replaced lock with kwikset 914 zigbee lock. Works like a charm. No more issues. Other solution I thought abouy was replacing light switches next to garage door with newer zwave plus ones that would certainly repeat. But unfort. They are the add on switches and main switches are in the kitchen. Apparently the fibro relay or go control garage opener were not repeating secure zwave correctly, or maybe it was I remember reading that zwave secure will not use a repeater?