Kwikset 910 deadbolt problem

Kwikset 910 paired and responds to commnads fine. But when it locks, deadbolt deploys all but the last fraction of an inch. The unit attempts to redeploy deadbolt but again doesn’t appear to extend the last little bit and locks gives error beep. ST reads it as “unknown” or “unlocked”. I can easily manually turn lever last fraction of an inch and ST then reads as “locked”. There isn’t any resistance to the last bit of extension so I think the plate etc are all aligned correctly. Any suggestions?

I would start with fresh batteries. My 910 did the same thing when the batteries were only partially depleted…slapped in some energizer lithium batteries and problem solved and they last forever

1 Like

Yes, check battery first. But if the problem remains, you may want to open the mechanical lock and make sure it’s installed so there are no hang-ups in the mechanism. You can verify by manually opening/closing the deadbolt. It should be easy to rotate through the whole motion without any notchiness or need to increase torque to finish the rotation.

2 Likes

If your lock has a calibration feature I would recommend running that to recalibrate the deadbolt extension. If it doesn’t close completely or has resistance while operating, the sensor will report the status as unknown.

1 Like

Get the manual from Kwikset website and perform the door handling procedure (make sure you do it with the door open). That should resolve it if you don’t actually have a true mechanical issue with either the latch or the lock motor.

1 Like

Thanks all for the helpful replies! Re-ran door handling and has been working so far. Will monitor battery levels and correlate if starts to misfire again. Thanks again!

1 Like