JUST a temperature sensor?

As the topic title suggests, is there anyone that makes JUST a temperature sensor, or a temp + humidity sensor? I’d like to put a couple around my home (attic, basement, crawlspace), but I hate to spend the dough for a multi-sensor for features I won’t use. I was hoping there was an inexpensive temp sensor available. Thanks!

If you want to support the brand

If you want just a temp sensor, you could always use the Iris open/close sensors from Lowe’s without mounting the magnet next to them.

3 Likes

The GoControl kit at Home Depot sells for about $50 and it comes with 2 Door/Window sensors and a motion sensor.

Only the motion sensor does temperature, but if you could use the door sensors for other things it might be worth it.

You can get the Lowes IRIS Open/Close sensor with temperature for under $14. You can also modify the Device Handler to not display the Open/Close portion of it if you desire.

Are they Gen2 because I thought the old IRIS sensors didn’t work with SmartThings?

These are the ones I purchased from Lowe’s. Lowe’s Iris Sensors (New CentraLite models)

That’s the gen 2 version so it must be an in-store deal because they’re $23 on their website.

Use zip 10001 on the lowes website and ship to home. Free shipping over $50.

1 Like

I am using many of the Lowe’s IRIS Open/Close sensors that I got for $9 each (after the coupons and ebates) as just temperature sensors. The ones I’m using just for temperature sensors I’ve mounted with the magnet attached to them so that they always report closed (because I wanted a clean status in SHM and I wanted to keep them all as local devices).

The current price on these is $13.98 because of the pricing mistake at the store at zip 10011. If you order 4 online and use the 10% off coupon, you can get free shipping and they end up being $12.58 each. If you order 5 online and use the $10-off-$50 coupon, you can get free shipping and they end up being $11.98 each. Plus you can use ebates and get back 1.5% of your purchase (FatWallet no longer has cash back on Lowes).

Not as good as the previous deal on them, but I don’t think you’ll find temperature sensors for less.

1 Like

As others have said, the contact sensors from Lowes/Iris are probably going to be cheaper than any ‘just’ temperature sensor you can find…

I use Everspring ST814 temp/humidity sensors. You’ll find them more accurate but not cheaper than the devices that also have a temp sensor on-board.

1 Like

@damohabir,
I bought one of these for my freezer. I modified the device to temperature sensor just to display temperature. unfortunately this does not diplay battery life. Can you please tell me how you modified the iris device handler? Just need to display temperature and battery life. I have other iris open close sensors that i want to continue using as open closed sensors.

Thanks!!!

Apologies for resurrecting a somewhat old thread but I’m curious if there are any new temperature only (or temp & humidity) devices around? Or if there’s a good deal on ones mentioned higher in the thread. Looking at the Iris door contact sensor, it’s $24.99 which is too rich for my blood. I suppose if I could use/stack some discounts/coupons I could be tempted to pull the trigger. Does anyone have any recommended sensors or places to buy them? Much thanks in advance!

I have this one. Most users report no problems a handful report occasional offline reports but I’m not sure if they are on the latest DH or not. These tend to go on sale for $7 or less a lot. You can also search for coupon codes for these and find them even cheaper, however the catch is with the codes sometimes you can only order 1 per order.

https://www.gearbest.com/access-control/pp_626702.html

I’ve had mine now for 2 weeks with no problems and I’m using the latest DH from here

https://github.com/bspranger/Xiaomi/tree/master/devicetypes/bspranger

@mobile785, thanks for the suggestion and the link to the device handler! I purchased a bunch of Xiaomi door sensors and motion sensors a while ago but just set some up this weekend. A few have needed to be repaired 2-3 times so at least I know what I’m getting myself into. :slight_smile:

If anyone else knows of any good sensors (or deals for them), please share!

@rfmurphy81, that same link above also has updated DH for the Door and Window sensors. I have 1 Xiaomi Aqara Door/Window Sensor that’s been installed 1 month and have never had to do a repair. I just ordered 6 more so I hope my luck continues with the Aqara Door sensor.

I’ll definitely try out those device handlers, though I’m not sure if they’ll help with the pairing issues but it’s worth a try! I had purchased the Original Xiaomi Smart Door and Windows Sensor and the Original Xiaomi Smart Human Body Sensor. Just today in fact, I noticed my Human Body Sensor is showing as Unavailable so hopefully either the device handler or the Aqara devices can be more effective but that’s a different topic than this. :slight_smile: