Within the last month August released a firmware update for their locks. Since then I’ve noticed a strange issue. If I have the August app open on my phone, reboot the lock, or have recently manually unlocked it, for a few minutes after doing so I am able to send commands from the SmartThings app or automations I’ve set up (such as using a zigbee button to send lock or unlock commands) and those commands succeed.
If however, the August locks sit idle for longer than that, and I go to perform a command with SmartThings over ZWave, the commands fail. Either the commands just appear to time out with no feedback, or the app updates and shows the lock in its previous state. For example I click Unlock, the status changes to “unlocking” then pops back to locked.
I’ve looked in the SmartThings live log within the IDE and I’m seeing a token error when this happens. I’m reasonably sure this is an issue with the August lock and I’ve reached out to them. So far they seem stumped. I also think it’s their problem because I have other Schlage ZWave locks and they have continued to perform without issue on the same hub.
For background info I have a V2 hub running 25.x firmware. The August locks have been working without issue for over a year prior to this. As troubleshooting I’ve removed both ZWave locks, powered them and the hub off (locks for a few seconds, hub for 5 minutes), then powered on the hub and paired them again. The locks have been in the same location they’ve always been and I have a few ZWave repeaters to ensure good coverage. No other ZWave device in my system behaves like this.
And one last detail: these locks use S2 security but will revert to S0 for older devices like my hub. I see messages indicating that happens but I’m wondering if the August is properly staying in S0 mode and maybe that’s why it’s rejecting commands. The August app itself always controls the locks fine.