Is the new ST App super slow? Or is it just me?

I see old posts about this, but time for a current one:

On Android, using latest ST app, it seems to take forever to load. Probably just 30-50 seconds. But that’s forever. Is it just me? The old app was much faster.

Look like not just you. I’m trying to invest in SmartThings, but seems there are issues when you need a quick view of your house but have to wait a minute just for that? How many devices do you have?

1 Like

It is just slow, that is a known issue…

When you start up your app it can take several seconds as it is initialised and if you have STHM on your dashboard that can take a few seconds in itself. After that it depends how many favourites you have on your dashboard as to how long it takes to refresh them.

However if you don’t deliberately close the app it will just open up instantly on whatever page it was on.

2 Likes

However if you don’t deliberately close the app it will just open up instantly on whatever page it was on.

Some more tips on the app. Thanks!

1 Like

It is just slow, that is a known issue…

Hey, thanks for information. Any chance that things will be improved soon? Also I saw some 3rd dashboard available out there. Are they good for viewing my own home status at a glance (say about ~40 devices)

I am tagging @joshua_lyon from Sharptools.io and @625alex from ActionTiles. And @kewashi from HousePanel.

They all have 3rd party dashboards and can share with you some use cases.

1 Like

Home remote can also supply a very useable dashboard for ST, especially if your device is an older tablet or phone
Found in all good app stores

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag!
You can read about housepanel either here in the forum or peruse the online documentation at: https://housepanel.net (don’t preface it with www)

This panel is highly customizable and runs on a rPI that you provide. The install is fairly straightforward but requires more work than the other two options noted since those run on a central server. I’m working on a version that does that but it’s not ready for prime time yet. For now, the current version is a user-self-provided rPI server solution. Here’s the reward - a dashboard that is fast and flexible - with support for three types of hubs (SmartThings, Hubitat, and ISY). It also includes a powerful RULE engine that allows you to write automations that are easier to write and more flexible than the ST automations. And because the automations are processed by HousePanel they work across hubs - so you can do thing like if a Hubitat light goes on, turn a SmartThings light off. This is what my dashboard looks like…

2 Likes

I use HousePanel for this exact purpose. You can make a panel designed for your phone and then open that panel up to view and control your devices. The response time is basically instantaneous.

I responded to @Vir12 in a different discussion, so will keep it short here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a few screenshots of some neat things SharpTools.io users have put together:

You can find more details on the SharpTools website and examples in the SharpTools community. :smiley:

3 Likes

Takes less than 3 seconds on my home screen with about 40 devices.

1 Like

Oh my… an eye candy show down. Woo hoo!!!

Here’s a floor plan view in HousePanel

All kidding aside, Josh’s SharpTools is a fine product that anyone would be happy with. If you want to own your server try HP.

3 Likes

You can read about housepanel either here in the forum or peruse the online documentation at: https://housepanel.net (don’t preface it with www)

Hey thanks! Will come to have a look.

Here’s a floor plan view in HousePanel
Oops. This looks interesting. Guess that for the floor plan image, I have to prepare it in 3rd tool, then import to housepanel, right? Anyway, this is much easier to see the house’s overall status. Will try it out soon. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks @joshua_lyon The examples setup look nice! Will check it out

2 Likes

Yes - you need to draw a floor plan in any other 3rd party tool and then save it as a png or jpg file on your server, the. Set it as the background image of your floor plan tab. Then add devices and drag them to where they belong.

2 Likes

So this got way off topic quick :frowning:

I’m at about 30 devices. :frowning: Good tip on the leaving the app open though!

All that does is display the last loaded status (ie, what’s cached locally on the phone/tablet). True status still takes forever to then update.

Yea… I have over 150 devices and the app is slow to the point of not being usable. I actually wouldn’t mind it being slow but what bugs me is the tile comes up saying it isn’t connected. So I hit the back button, wait 5 seconds and try again, repeat again, and then it shows up. Thermostats and my smart washer are the worst at this. It makes no sense because other apps including my HomeBridge hack that exposes SmartThings devices to the Apple Home app works instantly. I can open the Apple Home app and turn a light on faster than using the ST app. Crazy. Same for the Alexa app which allows devices to be controlled. And of course my own HousePanel web page dashboard. Behind the scenes when my dashboard loads the browser loads a dynamically generate web page. Then when a user taps an icon, JavaScript code sends an Ajax call to the server, which then sends a https post web micro service call to the ST hub. Then on the hub a Groovy code module makes a call to the actual device. A similar array of calls is likely happening with the Home and Alexa apps. It’s hard to imagine how all of that is faster than using the native mobile app. Really weird. Any ST engineers around to help us understand?

6 Likes

@jody.albritton you replied to my note to not delete the post I accidentally marked for deletion, but you said “thanks, we are looking into it”… are you looking into this slow app issue? (or not letting my reply be deleted?)