IKEA Vallhorn Motion Sensor

The new Ikea Vallhorn motion sensor is available in parts of Europe now. I am fed up having to replace batteries in my old ST motion sensors so was thinking of buying a few of these. Has anyone got them working successfully with ST? Is there an Edge driver out for them? I have searched and cant see anything.

1 Like

Not available in all stores yet, but I might get one why they are out

It does pair to smartthings, but comes in incorrectly as an Illumination sensor. I tried changing the driver to a generic motion sensor, but so far it’s not functioning.

1 Like

For anyone else who hasn’t heard of these, here’s a link. Should be interesting to see how well these work considering the price point.

Much better looking than their last generation…

Could you install Zigbee Thing Mc driver.
Using Zigbee Thing Mc driver is possible to read exact model and manufacturer.

manufacturer:
model:
Server Cluster:
Client Cluster:

Perform a driver change to Zigbee Thing Mc and publish the history information of the device.

You can install Zigbee Thing Mc driver from Mariano’s Edge drivers Shared Channel
https://api.smartthings.com/invitation-web/accept?id=6b68563b-1905-4654-8d2b-e677a2997424

Like this:

@Mariano_Colmenarejo
When you open the kiosk, could you check, if this Ikea VALLHORN can be added to your Zigbee Motion Sensor Mc driver

Added to this driver TEST.

You need install this driver TEST version
Uninstall device
Add device again with this driver version to device configure. Do not perform a driver change

───────────────────────────────────────────────────
 Name         Zigbee Motion Sensor Mc-TEST
 Version      2023-12-28T11:27:35.353052665        
- id: "IKEA of Sweden/VALLHORN"
    deviceLabel: Ikea VALLHORN Motion Sensor
    manufacturer: IKEA of Sweden
    model: VALLHORN Wireless Motion Sensor
    deviceProfileName: ikea-motion-illuminance

This device seems to use the occupancy cluster to detect movement, different from the TRADFRI sensor.
I don’t know if it needs a time out to reset the motion event or if the rear physical selector of the sensor that regulates the lighting time of the lights between 1 and 5 minutes will also reset the motion.

I don’t know if it uses the voltage or battery percentage attribute. I have set percentage, if it doesn’t work I change it.

2 Likes

It works.

Both the motion sensor and illumination sensors are reporting now.

The default motion timeout (no motion) appears to be under or around 30 seconds. There doesn’t appear to be be any cool off after the reset either.

1 Like

Are Battery info correct?

1 Like

Yes, sorry. The battery information is also reporting correctly as a percentage.

1 Like

Shows 100% or 50%.?

You have to wait a few hours without movement to see if it shows offline or not

1 Like

It shows 91%.

I’m using some of IKEAs rechargeable AAAs. That % is similar to when I use rechargeable AAAs in other devices. I can swap them with other AAAs and see if the percentage changes.

I’ll move it to a dark location and see if it goes offline

1 Like

This is good.

There are IKEA devices that do not follow the Zigbee standard for battery percentage and does not have to divide the value sent by the device by 2.
It seems that this one does meet the standard

1 Like

Interestingly, in the β€œSignal Metrics” section, it shows a timestamp update exactly 1 hour from its last β€œevent”, and then updates the time stamp once an hour every hour after that

1 Like

That’s ok.

Signal metrics are updated when a message arrives from the illuminance device every 3600 sec maximum, or battery, every 6 hours maximum.

That means that it has been configured correctly and periodic messages are received and that means that it does not appear offline.

In this device I could add that they are also updated with movement messages, which are handled manually.

1 Like

Hi @trillexer

I have merged the TEST driver with the Mc driver.

You only have to make a driver change to this version of the Mc driver. Since the device is already configured, everything will continue to work correctly.

Then, you should delete the TEST driver from your Hub

I will delete the TEST driver from the channel, but don’t be in a hurry, this will not affect the driver installed on your Hub

Name         Zigbee Motion Sensor Mc
 Version      2023-12-29T10:26:02.066278731        
- id: "IKEA of Sweden/VALLHORN"
    deviceLabel: Ikea VALLHORN Motion Sensor
    manufacturer: IKEA of Sweden
    model: VALLHORN Wireless Motion Sensor
    deviceProfileName: ikea-motion-illuminance
3 Likes

Thanks you!

1 Like

How to add this devices? I bought a Vallhorn and a Parasoll but can’t seem to add them to smartthings.

1 Like

That is a very good question. I have bought five Vallhorn and so far I have been unable to use them. The first sensor I tried pairing did actually pair but then I had to delete the sensor I have been unable to repair any of them since.

Pressing the button for 10 seconds does not activate pairing. I have tried this after allowing the sensor to power up and also keeping the button pressed while putting the batteries in. The four presses of the button does not work either. I have tried slow presses, fast presses and everything in between. Nothing.

I have now bought new batteries to try out in case my AAA’s I have here might be a bit low on power. As a last resort, until the new batteries arrive, I am going to put the existing ones in a warm spot in the sun to see if warming them up helps.