Ikea motion sensor

In that case the sensor would support measurements and utilize it internally but not expose this information through any (standard) Zigbee means.

Not able to see consistent reliable behaviour with the new model, multiple resets, tried covering the lux sensor, maybe I have a dud?
20191014_111052

What do you mean consistent? What is your problem?

I only get motion alerts, and only sometimes if I completely cover the sensor, Iā€™ve tried using both day and night settings.

They have a sleep period of 3 minutes after they detected motion. The DH was written that way, that it will clear the motion detection after that time.

1 Like

You can test them with a Tradfri bulb if you pair it directly to the bulb.

I paired my new model motion detector with ST. After this I have not been able at all to pair it with any lightbulbs, so did a scene where certain lights go on after activity has been found. This works fine, however I think the reaction time before lights go on is a little to long. Is it only made to pair with one device?

The motion sensor in the IKEA environment controls lights directly paired to it. (I think up to 10 bulbs.)

In Smartthings it goes around the world as it is cloud connected. Motion triggered, command sent to cloud, cloud processing and SmartApp use, action trigger back to Smartthings connected lights, each turns on one-by-one (popcorn effect). So you might going to feel a delay, but it shouldnā€™t be too long. If you see multiple seconds, then your internet connection might be too slow/overloaded for it. Might beā€¦

1 Like

Well, the delay is about 4 seconds maybe, but I wish it was faster. Ill try again later on to pair the sensor directly with the bulbs. But for some strange reason, I have not been able to so far. Before pairing it to ST, i could pair it to bulbs though. However the pairing is never as easy as it should be. Tried many times before succeding.

You shouldnā€™t have that long a delay
I use one in my hall that triggers a morning routine and three lights come on nearly instantly.

Maybe I have many ā€œjumpsā€ between several zigbee units. IĀ“ll continue trying different ways and see if I can improve it somehow.

1 Like

Is there a chance the motion sensor has the same incompatibility as the Tradfri 5 button remote with V1 hubs?

Yes. It is incompatible with the v1 Hub too. Sorry for the bad news.

Hello, 3 minutes is too many time for me, there are some way to change it for example to 30 seconds to clear the presence+

Thanks

It is a device hard coded value to keep batteries last long. If you need something more instant buy a SmartSence/Smartthings motion sensor.

@JDRoberts, I remember that I have read somewhere that there is some functional sensor difference between the old and new IKEA motion sensors (PIR vs ???)

Do you remember what is it? What sensor the old one has? Or do I remember wrongly?

As far as I know, they are both PR sensors.

Sorry to necro this thread a bit, but I needed some consultation on using this sensor.

I just started using one of the newer sensors to activate a light on my porch at night.
The back of the sensor is set to the ā€˜nightā€™ mode (the moon) and the brightness to the full, but regardless of those the sensor keeps detecting motion during the day.

Is that functionality totally lost when you use the sensor in SmartThings?

My automation only runs at night, so all the sensor is doing is sending about 10-12 unnecessary motion detected/undetected messages a day. Would that harm the battery life much?

@pavichokche - Yes, that functionality is lost. Set your Automation rule to turn on the light between sunset and sunrise.

The device would detect motion anyhow and would wake up I believe, it would just not turn on the light bulb if connected to that directly. (Long press pairing.)

Yeah I already have the automation configured that way, I was just worried about the battery life.

I had tried to do a direct pairing between the sensor and the bulb, the way I have with my remotes and bulbs elsewhere, but it just wouldnā€™t pair no matter how long I held the button near the bulb. Kind of unfortunate.