Ikea motion sensor

These motion sensors are battery powered. To keep them running long, they have a grace period after reporting motion. I think it is 3 minutes. Search for “Ikea motion sensor grace period” on google and you will find some deconz discussions where it is mentioned.

Here you go:

1 Like

I still have not noticed any new release , and my new variant of IKEA trådfri motion sensor still does not register anything if I look in smartthings. Is the release out there?

Not yet, but it should be landing VERY soon

3 Likes

I’ve been told the fix for the Ikea motion sensor was deployed. If you are someone with an Ikea motion sensor that is not reporting motion events you can go ahead and reset the sensor at this time and should begin to see motion events!

2 Likes

Looks to be working for me now. Great work, many thanks!

1 Like

Very neat @BroderickCarlin, another toy to play with :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Both of mine are still not working. They are Type E1745 Tradfri.
One is showing constant motion and the other no motion at all.

Can you attempt to factory reset the sensors and attempt to rejoin them to the hub as if you were adding a new device? If that doesn’t work, can you attempt to remove the device through the mobile app and redo the factory reset of the sensor + rejoin?

I have tried this, with the same result. Unfortunately, connecting them to the hub seems to be a hit and miss and takes very long until it is successful.

I have decided that I will probably abandon the Ikea products as they seem to be causing problems with my other zigbee devices. For instance, my lights now flash when I try to connect the motion sensor. One outlet also loses its connection, while I try to connect them.

Also, I dont know if anyone else is noticing this, but the one motion sensor that does seem to work, reports movement for 3minutes until turning off.?

Yeah I found that in resetting my motion sensor the other day it managed to indirectly pair itself with the Ikea bulb in the room I was in at the time, which stopped the bulb from working at all (until reset/re-paired), very annoying! I just turned them all of at the switch this evening before starting from scratch with the motion sensor.

1 Like

And yes, exact same symptom of 3 minute state change after motion detection…which ignores any automation rules (again, annoying). This looks to have been discussed and linked to another thread in the posts above!

1 Like

I have exactly the same model as on the photos, resetting it and connecting again fixed the problem.
Thanks guys!!!

1 Like

All motion sensors have a “blind” period to preserve battery life. Some longer than others.

2 Likes

Hi, removed the (newer model) motion sensor and connected it again. Can confirm i now see “active” motion in the logs. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks! :wink:

2 Likes

Indeed! Thank you very much!

1 Like

Has anyone tried modifying the device handler to see if the lux readings get reported ?
I have a few of the 1st Gen ones but will buy these of it reports lux.

Looking again at what clusters the new vs old sensor report supporting:

New: 
inputs 
	0000 - basic
	0001 - power config
	0003 - identify
	0009 - alarms
	0020 - poll control
	1000 - touchlink
	FC7C - ????
outputs 
	0003 - identify
	0004 - groups
	0006 - on/off
	0008 - level control
	0019 - ota bootload
	1000 - touchlink

Old: 
inputs: 
	0000 - basic
	0001 - power config 
	0003 - identify 
	0009 - alarms
	0B05 - diagnostics
	1000 - touchlink
outputs: 
        0004 - groups
        0006 - on/off
        0019 - ota bootload
        1000 - touchlink

Looks like I was referencing a cluster list that had the endianness of the bytes flipped and mistook the 0004 groups cluster as the 0400 illum measurement cluster :man_facepalming:

We can see though that the new sensor does support the level control cluster as an output. This is most certainly used to support the new feature added by the new motion sensor to turn lights on to a specific level when motion is detected.

2 Likes

They must be supporting some luminance measurement, as you can define by the button when to control the lights, always (day/night) or just night.