I need help with chosing a relay for a projector screen

Hello Everyone! My first post so I apologize if this has been asked before.

I have instaled a Homegear 110” HD Motorized 16:9 Projector Screen W/ Remote Control and I need help putting it on the ZWave network. The screen comes with its own controller box which has two simple buttons: UP and DOWN. I can solder wires to those buttons and pull it out of the box. One tap on the UP button, sends the screen all the way up and stops on its own. One tap on the down button, sends the screen all the way down to fully open state. Any tap while the screen is moving, simply stops the screen wherever it is at.

So I need a ZWave relay that I can control from the Smartthings app that shows up as basically two buttons, UP and DOWN, and does simply a quick 1 second “contact” and lets go, not an on/off “switch”.

I have done hours and hours of reading on relays and curtain modules and unfortunately I cannot figure exactly what to buy and how to hook it up.

Any help is greatly appreciate!

Picture

I use a harmony home hub to control my projector and screen.

Thanks but he screen has a remote, the point is, how to put it on ZWave.

Mine did too. Now I have it all controlled from one button or Alexa. I would like to see if anyone else has RF to Z-Wave. I have a tone of RF devices that I would love to convert to Z-Wave.

If you have a lot of RF devices “in range”, then one solution worth the effort is to build a relatively simple Arduino based project with the Thing Shield.

There may be some pre-packaged solutions out there, but this is a fun project that offers a lot of flexibility.

My one Arduino controls my screen via RF, also connects to the projector via 12v signal out to detect the projector on and trigger the screen in case SmartThings is down, and also communicates with the projector via RS-232 to turn it on, off, and change modes (cinema, daytime, etc).

1 Like

Well Im just looking for a Z-Wave relay to push the buttons. It should be relatively simply. Bush button on the app the relay closes, release button on the app relay opens.

1 Like

Yah… But a couple of 5v driven $3 relays attached the Arduino w/Thing Shield & screen’s physical buttons were also my original solution.

ie, Arduino’s and parts are really cheap (except for the $35 Thing Shield) and this is a simple circuit if you can’t find a direct alternative.

One alternative is to use 120v relays attached to 2 simple ZigBee or Z-Wave outlets.

1 Like

How about the MIMOLite relay? Since you want momentary relays to “push the buttons”, you should look at momentary relays designed to activate a garage door. The garage door use-case is exactly what you’re looking for.

1 Like

If you have a Harmony remote, Here you go. All the info you need is in this thread and it works great. Click me

Ooh this is where that button pusher thingymajig would come in handy… I am not sure what it’s called, but I don’t think it’s available yet.

http://a.co/2dvUvyK

1 Like

I have a Harmony remote but it only does IR. My projector screen is RF, and the way it should be, meaning RF, because it’s hidden in my ceiling.

Yup I have the same screen and RF remote, Wired it the 2 ch version on the IR relay and it works great and has been for years now.
This is a 2ch that should work. just need a 12v power supply. https://www.ebay.com/p/600140569?iid=253384423818&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=253384423818&targetid=885502524625&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9003787&poi=&campaignid=9338046716&mkgroupid=94993973219&rlsatarget=aud-622524041518:pla-885502524625&abcId=1139336&merchantid=118852035&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz4z3BRCgARIsAES_OVe34TVkfQXqymN-o-EuD_DXOHrYgcaHb2gPooLmFDzb8RcGWJDbc5caAjUWEALw_wcB