I don’t know if this will work for everyone, but it appears to be working for me.
I have an existing Z-Wave network when I purchased SmartThings, and I didn’t want to rebuild it with the ST hub as master controller. So I had the hub join the network instead. Works well.
However, when there are new devices, I would need to remove the hub from the network and have it join again. This would remove names, automation, rules, etc. I would also need to remove some of the Z-Wave devices from SmartThings even though it has left the network. Then I’d need to add it back and rename all the devices again, and set up automation. It’s a pain, but it works.
This got me wondering if it is possible to add a device in manually into SmartThings, AFTER it has been added to the Z-Wave home network. Since I needed to replace a failing switch, I thought this would be a good time to test. If it fails, I can always fall back to the remove / join procedure.
Switch: GE / Jasco Embrighten 46201 Z-Wave in-wall switch with S2
First, I excluded the old and failing Intermatics switch (12 years old at this point), removed it, wired in the new switch, and included it, using my Z-Stick Gen 5.
Next, I went to the IDE and went to the Device page: https://graph-na04-useast2.api.smartthings.com/device/
Device ID for Z-Wave devices is a 8 bit number, specified in hexadecimal. I noticed that they were increasing as I added devices to the network. The last ID listed was 0B, and the hub itself is 0C, so I figured it will be 0D or larger. There are software tools that can probe your network and discover their IDs, I should have used one, but I got lazy.
I clicked on “+ New Device” and filled in that page. Device Type = Z-Wave Switch, Device Network ID = 0D worked. I also filled in the Location (Home) and Hub (Home Hub). I also named it “Dining Room Light”.
After that is done, I had Alexa refresh the Smart Home devices again.
The light works from: SmartThings app (both classic and new) and through Amazon Echo.
The only difference is how it is displayed under “Devices”. It lacks details of the switch, and it does not show the routing of the device to my SmartThings hub. I include two photos of screen cap from the IDE for reference. Switch 0B was discovered from the exclude / include of the hub from my home network, and Switch 0D was added manually.
I have another two switches to add, and I’ll try this method for them as well. Again, if anything breaks, I can always do the exclude / include method.
If there’s anything anyone would like me to test, please let me know.