Hub Firmware Release Notes - OTA - 16.9 - V2

OK must just be an unfortunate coincidence.

Hopefully this false triggering on the motion sensors resolves soon.

1 Like

These false triggers all around the house is driving me nuts. SHM and sirens unusable now as my 21 smartthings sensors which were all okay until the firmware upgrade are all randomly detecting motion. Lights are coming on for no reason due to detected motion and I just ignore all the alerts when I go out now. It is 100% nothing to do with placement as these motion sensors detect motion even when thrown into a box for several hours.

1 Like

Yeah, same here but I only have four motion sensors causing me grief. Haven’t opened a support case yet since it seems clear there is a larger issue than just my house. My issues started BEFORE enabling OTA but after the hub firmware upgrade as far as I can tell. Three of my four sensors received their firmware update within 24 hours of me enabling OTA but the 4th one wasn’t checking for updates for some reason. Just reset the battery today and it updated within a couple of hours. I hope I can leave OTA enabled (especially since it doesn’t appear to be the issue) but before I open a ticket or do anything else I want to see if I still have issues with all the sensors on the same firmware version.

My ST motion sensors are fine for now. I haven’t enabled OTA. Oddly apparently the dirt cheap xiaomi sensors work with ST ever since the update. I have a few on order.

Which ones are you using? Those motion sensor are very low priced.

http://www.dx.com/p/original-xiaomi-smart-ir-human-body-sensor-white-432833

This is according to this thread: Xiaomi Zigbee Door/Window Sensor, Motion Sensor, & Smart Button Device Type [beta]

I have 2 on order.

I actually did the same and can confirm the behaviour - it drives me nuts …

1 Like

After this update, about a third of my Z-wave stuff was not answering commands. I thought it was because I moved an Enerwave appliance module from behind a couch controlling a cabinet light (integrated halagin lights) to the other side of the room for the Christmas Tree (family demanded it be put up in that specific place). However I am not sure that is the case.

The things that showed up as failed, start at 12 foot away from, plus one wall all the way to the other end of the house.

I have a Remotec repeater on order. I am hoping adding it to the mesh will help.

did you do a z-wave repair after moving it?

1 Like

It won’t hurt, but it won’t help anymore than any other plug-in Z wave device like a pocket socket.

Devices made just to work as repeaters were useful in the first couple of generations of Z wave. But for the last three years pretty much every new device made that plugs in acts as a full power repeater. You don’t need the single purpose repeater devices anymore. And if you got a pocket socket or a light switch that is zwave plus, it will actually do you much more good then a classic Z wave single purpose device, because zwave plus has significantly longer range.

So I’d recommend returning the single purpose repeater and getting a Z wave plus pocket socket instead.

Just remember that anytime you add a new zwave mains powered device, or you physically relocate an existing zwave device, you should runthe Z wave repair utility to make sure that each device knows who its true neighbors are.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/200981864-How-do-I-make-sure-my-Z-Wave-devices-are-routing-optimally-

Three times.

I am wondering if my Jasco switches (1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years old) are not capable of repeating. Is there a way I can tell if they do or don’t repeat? These are most of my Z-Wave devices.

I am moving towards newer switches such as the Enerwave ZW15SM or the new GE stuff you can buy in the green and black box.

I want all reporting (metering) switches as it gives me more information.

Pretty much any mains powered device should repeat except for smoke sensors. You can confirm with the manufacturer if you have any questions.

All the GE/Jasco switches are repeaters.

1 Like

Says it’s not a repeater? That could be, the reason the smoke sensors don’t repeat is because they are considered emergency devices. But I don’t know of any mains-powered light switch that doesn’t repeat.

I couldn’t imagine a switch not repeating, however the ability to repeat WELL would require a non-metal box. Also something to be considered for anyone putting these in old houses and thinking the repeater may work for them. Hint, it won’t work well if at all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@TheSmartestHouse page says the zooz valve is a repeater.

http://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/zooz-zac03-z-wave-valve-control

The built-in Z-Wave signal repeater extends and strengthens the range of your Z-Wave network, ensuring fast and reliable connections.

Was there a note in the user manual?

edited to update Hmmm… the zooz ZAC03 valve user manual also says it’s a Z wave repeater.

Built-in Z-Wave signal repeater

1 Like

I believe I’m an idiot or had a terribly lifelike dream. Just went through the manual again and it doesn’t say that…I don’t know where or why I thought so!

Happens to all of us…somebody wrote a post about Lightify a few days ago and I heard it as LIFX. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yep, all non-battery powered Z-Wave devices will automatically repeat signal, including the Zooz Valve Control. If a device can be both battery and DC powered, it will most likely not repeat signal even if powered by DC.

I’ve done the 20-30 minute reset, pulled the batteries on my zigbee devices and disabled OTA updates. But I’m losing connection with 1-2 ST motion sensors each day. They either quit reporting or get stuck reporting motion, essentially they stop updating. A battery pull fixes them each time.

Now I’ve lost power reporting from my aeon outlets (Zwave). I use the power reporting to disable the turn lights off portion of my core Pistons. So now when we are in rooms while being still but still needing the lights, the lights turn off anyway. The power reporting loss coincided with the update. A zwave repair completes and shows no errors.

The power reporting will show up if I go into the app and refresh the device, but it won’t send a change nor is it bring polled anymore pretty much rendering them useless. I have tried multiple DTH for each outlet but no luck so far restoring the polling/reporting.

My wife made sure that I understood that it had finally been stable for several months, which had brought her back from the threat of making me pull out all 100+ devices. But thus latest update has her hopping mad again. The false alarms of the garage door going up at night, the flashing lights in the bedroom, and now finding herself in the dark half the time while working on the computer or putting makeup on while getting ready is pushing her tolerance.

Why? All because I can’t control the update schedule? If we are stable why can’t we opt out? I’m willing to deal with instability when I want additional features. I’m willing to deal wi instability at a time of my choosing, instead of just prior or in the midst of the holiday season! Now I’m between doing the holiday honey do’s or working on our ST to fix things that spworked just fine for months!

Whatever happened to “an update is available” instead of we just forced an update? Let me be happy an update behind instead of pissed of but up to date! I’ll have no one to blame but myself when I don’t have a new feature, or decide to update and have to fix things. Instead I get the blame from my wife and family, at the holidays no less. Happy holidays to you too ST!

4 Likes

Just imagine how much worse it’ll be after the holidays when thousands of new subscribers join. The platform will come screeching to a halt and all the performance problems will resurface.

2 Likes