SmartThings Community

Hub Firmware Release Notes - 18.18

(terence peace) #623

I’ve also got a SmartThings plug right next to the far one. I think it will act as a repeater.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

(Robin) #624

Yep… general rule of thumb, plug in devices repeat, battery devices don’t repeat.

A Zigbee device will only repeat Zigbee, a Zwave device will only repeat Zwave.

0 Likes

(terence peace) #625

Thank you for the info. I have written it down, I’ve learned something new today :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Cristofer Johnson) #626

Check the channels for wifi and zigbee. This is why I try to stay away from zigbee. 2.5 is just too crowded and you have no option to choose the channel in ST. And if you do get some separation, there is no guarantee you won’t have frequency overlap the next time your ST hub reboots. They do a firmware upgrade , hub reboots , and now you get zigbee devices dropping off because the ST hub changed zigbee channels.

0 Likes

(terence peace) #627

@Kato
Thank you. I will try to read up on zigbee. Maybe there is a booster for it?

0 Likes

Zigbee is a mesh network, you don’t use boosters, you add repeaters. I’ll post a link at the bottom of this note with more information about how this network protocol works if you’re interested.

That said, the problem you’re describing with the sensors being marked as offline is unfortunately a common problem right now and has nothing to do with the strength of the signal in your home. Instead it has to do with how the cloud platform is monitoring the device. Your best bet is to get in touch with support and see if they can help you with the issue.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us

And here’s the information about zigbee networks. Start by reading post 11, and then go back and read the whole thread. But again, I’d be very surprised if the information in that thread is relevant to the specific problem that you are seeing right now, given what you’ve already described.

0 Likes

This should not happen. Just a firmware update and reboot will not change the hub’s zigbee channel. If it did, many customers would have to re-add zigbee Devices every time there was a reboot.

Instead, the zigbee channel will remain the same unless you do a full factory reset of the hub, which is a very different process than just a reboot. And then you would have to rebuild your entire network.

So you shouldn’t have to worry about reboots causing Devices to get lost from the network.

There’s a totally separate issue that some accounts are experiencing where devices are being marked as off-line when they shouldn’t. But that doesn’t have anything to do with the zigbee channel or with having rebooted.

Support can confirm this if you have any further questions.

0 Likes

(Paul Osborne) #630

As a point of clarification…

Many newer ZigBee devices do support frequency agility (changing channels) but we do not channel hop today as there are still a good number of devices which would not make the channel jump. The hub does an energy scan to do its best to pick a preferred channel with the lowest energy when the network is first setup (when you setup the hub the first time), but things on 2.4GHz tend to change over time.

On devices like the Samsung Connect Wi-Fi Router, we do additional steps to try to avoid conflicts by making use of communication between the Wi-Fi/ZigBee/Bluetooth chips to try to avoid conflicts from those spatially close transmitters on the same spectrum.

As noted by @JDRoberts, support can likely help in some ways including, potentially, selecting a different channel for ZigBee without requiring a full hub factory reset.

1 Like

But the point is still that a firmware update on the SmartThings hub followed by a hub reboot should not cause the hub’s zigbee channel to change, right? It stays with whatever was assigned when the hub was first initialized?

0 Likes

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #632

If you are an RBoy Apps subscriber you can download the SmartApp from here. It’s still BETA and heavily depends upon on the device handler and it’s implementation. YMMV.
Since ST currently doesn’t report concurrent events (e.g. 2 up), so it will work as on/off double tap rather than on/on or off/off double tap.
Also note that the stock Z-Wave switch DTH bundled in the firmware doesn’t appear to be the same on as the one on GitHub. You will need to use the stock ST DTH on GitHub for this SmartApp to work.

0 Likes

(Paul Osborne) #633

Correct, short of a hard factory reset (which deletes the hub and location in the cloud), the channel will not change between reboots/updates.

1 Like

(terence peace) #634

@JDRoberts Thank you. More reading this weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

(Squatting Hen) #635

I got the 18.22 and recently, including today, my hub goes inactive and then comes back. This is something new as of a few days ago.

It happened about 20 minutes ago. I received a notification that my home hub is now active. I check the notifications and at the same time it became disconnected and then active. There are actually two line items for the same active notification.

This has also happened in the middle of the night last night.

0 Likes

Interesting. Same here.

Last night it was about 10:55 PM central. I had to reboot again myself after to get all devices back online. It was a mess:

2017-09-06 10:56:20.593 PM CDT
18 hours ago	HUB		zwStatus	ready		Z-Wave is ready
2017-09-06 10:56:16.980 PM CDT
18 hours ago	HUB		hubStatus	zw_radio_on		
2017-09-06 10:56:16.974 PM CDT
18 hours ago	HUB		hubStatus	zb_radio_on		
2017-09-06 10:56:16.970 PM CDT
18 hours ago	HUB		hubInfo	hardwareID:000D, version:13, ...		hardwareID:000D, version:13, mac:xxxxxx, localip:xxxxx, localSrvPortTCP:39500, localSrvPortUDP:0, zigbeeFWMa...
2017-09-06 10:56:14.285 PM CDT
18 hours ago	HUB		hubStatus	zw_radio_on		
2017-09-06 10:56:14.278 PM CDT
18 hours ago	HUB		hubStatus	zb_radio_on		
2017-09-06 10:56:14.274 PM CDT
18 hours ago	HUB		hubInfo	hardwareID:000D, version:13, ...		hardwareID:000D, version:13, mac:xxxx, localip:xxxx, localSrvPortTCP:39500, localSrvPortUDP:0, zigbeeFWMa...
2017-09-06 10:56:12.850 PM CDT
18 hours ago	HUB		index:17, ip:7F000001, port:0BB8, requestId:2xxxxxx, headers:SFRUUC8xLj	index:17, ip:7F000001, port:0...		index:17, ip:7F000001, port:0BB8, requestId:xxxxxx, headers:SFRUUC8xLjEgMjAwIE9LDQpTZXJ2ZXI6IFZp...
2017-09-06 10:56:11.382 PM CDT
18 hours ago	HUB		ping	ping		ping
2017-09-06 10:56:11.324 PM CDT
18 hours ago	HUB		register	register		register
2017-09-06 10:56:11.310 PM CDT
18 hours ago	HUB		activity	active		Your SmartThings Hub at Home is now active.
2017-09-06 10:56:11.304 PM CDT
18 hours ago	HUB		hubStatus	active		Your SmartThings Hub at Home is now active.
2017-09-06 10:55:32.561 PM CDT
18 hours ago	HUB		hubStatus	disconnected		Your SmartThings Hub at Home is now disconnected. Please check your internet connection.

And I just looked in the logs again and see it happened at 4:07 PM central. This time it looks like everything recovered on it’s own.

2017-09-07 4:07:36.970 PM CDT
50 minutes ago	HUB		activity	active		Your SmartThings Hub at Home is now active.
2017-09-07 4:07:36.965 PM CDT
50 minutes ago	HUB		hubStatus	active		Your SmartThings Hub at Home is now active.
2017-09-07 4:07:20.153 PM CDT
50 minutes ago	HUB		hubStatus	disconnected		Your SmartThings Hub at Home is now disconnected. Please check your internet c
0 Likes

Z-Wave issues - Numerous Power Cycles, Sluggish, Lost Devices
(Squatting Hen) #637

@nastevens @posborne
Any ideas about why I keep getting hub disconnects after the 22 update? See the last two posts above.

Happened again at 5:10/5:11 CT this morning.

0 Likes

Same here again. Same times as you.

0 Likes

(Nick Stevens) #639

@Nezmo @SquattingHen Could you please PM @posborne and I your emails you use for your SmartThings account? Then we can take a look. Thanks!

0 Likes

Hub is offline several times a day

Done, thanks!

0 Likes

(Cristofer Johnson) #641

Thanks for the schooling. I have no installed zigbee devices, but I still try to keep my WiFi away from the ST hub channel

0 Likes

(Squatting Hen) #642

Does as well. Thank you.

0 Likes