Hub Firmware Release Notes - 0.24.11

@johnconstantelo I am a little embarrassed to admit, but the 4 zigbee sensors were falling off due to a bad repeater, that has been replaced and all is working now. I am still having the issue with my 2 zwave locks going offline, but that has seem to settle down a lot. I placed a zwave repeater that does beaming between my 2 locks and that seems to have helped some. Funny part is, this has probably been happening for a long time as I only turned on device health after the update.

2 Likes

Hey, no worries at all!

Sometimes it takes a lot of diagnosing/debugging to figure out something like replacing a failing device is all it takes.

At this point I wish someone, anyone, from ST would at least communicate anything about what went on shortly after the firmware release and whatā€™s happened since.

3 Likes

iā€™m guessing most of the engineers that are usually on here are prepping for SDC on Wednesday.

And that they havenā€™t bothered replying or fixing because they will be announcing that classic Smartthings is dead. There just has to be a big announcement given how long theyā€™ve been dragging out this transition.

Hmmm, good point, but stillā€¦

Weā€™ll see. Iā€™m curious what announcements come out of SDC.

2 Likes

This is a totally random thoughtā€¦

For those having problems with zigbee devices, check the insecure re-join setting.

And if you are using both apps on the same account, check it in both apps.

4 Likes

In a last attempt to not throw away the ST motion sensors, which after the last firmware update are eating up the batteries at a pace of 1 each 2-3 weeks, Iā€™ve designed a 3D printed case for them that is pretty much the same size of the original, but accommodates 2 x AAA batteries connected in series instead. That should provide roughly 3-4x the capacity of the 2450 cells (typically 500 mAh), at probably 1/5 or less of the price. Iā€™ll see how it works outā€¦ so far the sensor is up and running.

Iā€™ll share the design in thingieverse in a few days, after some further refinement, for those of you interested.

Should it be on or off?

Where is the option in the new app? I cannot find it.

Go to the Devices tab, click on your Hub.

Update on my issues.

My entire Zigbee network went to sh!t and I lost 90% of devices (Xiaomi Sensors, ST Sensor, Tradfri Bulbs), and the remaining 10% said they were connected did not respond. I tried deleting the devices and re-adding them, but Smartthings could no longer find them and refused to add anything.

So, I bit the bullit and did a factory reset of the hub. Such a painful process, but Iā€™m now able to add all my devices again, and, after 12h or so they are remaining connected. Iā€™m not setting up all my automations again, yet, until iā€™m satisfied everything is ok.

Iā€™ve always been uncomfortable with the fact that ST can essentially deploy an update that will brick my entire HA system, that fear has now been realised. If anything, itā€™s probably the kick up the arse I needed to take more control, so iā€™ve order the necessary hardware in order to setup zigbee2mqtt. I have use Home Assistant before and iā€™m techy enough to setup a dockerized environment for it. So, when it all arrived from China and is all setup, iā€™ll be binning (eBaying) ST for good.

2 Likes

Devices are already starting to drop off my network again, I already lost some Tradfri lights and Xiaomi Sensors.

Man they really cocked this up!

check to see if you have a bad repeater, that was my issue.

Alas, I spoke too soon. One of my battery operated motion/temperature devices fell off the network again.

Weā€™ll see if it comes back again on its own.

I think something happened with the cloud (na04) last night. I woke up this morning to most Z-Wave devices being offline and uncontrollable this morning. I also noted several LAN devices that use polling show a last poll time of 2:04am EST after which they went offline too.

The fix was to reboot the hub and run a Z-Wave repair. After the repair completed everything was back online and functional.

Did you check the status page? There was an issue earlier today

https://status.smartthings.com/incidents/4x66g6mnvqwb

3 Likes

Seems like things have become worse since I left ST. I have a co-worker that has woke up on two different occasions to all his devices missing from the hub for no apparent reason and he needed to re-pair everything. All these issues just make me much happier since switching to Hubitat, I have not encountered any of the issues I did on ST and the staff is very responsive.

2 Likes

I had a Smartthings 2017 zigbee outlet go unresponsive this morning. That was the first time ever had a mains powered device go on responsive.

I was having the same issue. Switched over 2 hubitat and couldnā€™t be happier.

3 Likes

I see they updated the status page. This was 7am when I noticed this. Nothing had been reported at that time, and there were no posts here either. Glad it wasnā€™t my system. Just about done migrating to a v3 hub and was really concerned.

Your coworker should have contacted support. Sounds like he has duplicate locations and jsut had to switch the location in the app. Pretty common issue.

1 Like