Hub Connected Devices Now Use Edge Drivers

The FAQ at Edge Drivers for New Devices FAQ – SmartThings Support also uses this poor terminology. It says:
Q: How do I transition my current device to use Edge drivers?
A: If your device has an Edge driver available here, you can re-onboard the device to get it using a new Edge driver.

I realize this might be a dumb question, but could someone (ideally from Samsung) please clarify what is meant by ‘re-onboard’? It’s jargon: do you mean “remove the device and then re-add it”? Or is it something more complicated than that?

i’m not from Samsung, but yes, that’s short hand for remove and re-add. If it’s a z-wave device, you’ll also need to exclude it.

2 Likes

When you are deleting a Z wave device, do you have to exclude it before you delete it from the app or delete it first and then exclude it?

When you select “remove device”, the Z-Wave exclusion mode starts in the Hub, so you should do what the manufacturer says to put the device in that mode as well (for example, press the action button once).
If you force the deletion of the device in the ST app, the device will remain in a “connected” state and you need to reset it to be able to pair it again.

Just to confirm, Jimmy is right:

2 Likes

So if I have devices using DTH and want to move to edge drivers that means I will also lose all the routines associated with the device?
That’s a rather painful consequence.
I’d been hoping there would be a route to an “in place” upgrade that switched driver without losing all the routines too.

There will be in the future when Edge is out of beta

6 Likes

the device profile could be different from DTH and it’s not clear what to do with missing capabilities that were parts of your routines

I am confused. I installed a new GE zwave light switch and it installed with an edge driver. So great!

I then tried to uninstall and reinstall a ikea 5 button, that did not install with the edge driver. So i tried a new ikea 5 button, no edge driver.
I tried a smartthings button im6001-btp01 and at 1st no edge driver, then all of a sudden it was edge, but Ikea 5 button remotes, still no edge driver.

I thought the ikea 5 button was on the list? What am I missing? Any suggestions/advance.

centralite/3455 also does not uninstall/ reinstall as edge driver.

You are missing the right list. Although the ZigBee Button driver in open beta supports a raft of buttons, the version that has gone live only supports the SmartThings button so far.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

I thought this was were the release Edge Drivers and details could be found. This is the page I saw referenced. Is there another page, I should be looking for?

Yes, that’s the link included on the FAQ page, however, to see if a device is supported, you need to take a look at the fingeprints.yml file and see if yours is included. For example, here are the ones for the driver zigbee-button:

There, only the fingerprint of SmartSense/button is uncommented, so, it will be the only one considered.

I did know to look at the.yml file. AND when I looked, I saw the ikea 5 button listed, but did not realize only the devices without the # sign next to them to active. (Aka Samsung Button).

Thanks for sharing that info.

2 Likes

Looks like the Aqara window curtain motors, switch and new T1 button and contact sensor are coming soon to the Edge drivers

2 Likes

there are many PRs opened for different devices , and only official manufacturers were approved. i’ll not hold my breath

the user name looks pretty official for Aqara

2 Likes

Aqara is added to fingerprints

2 Likes

Will there be an edge driver for Samsung windfree aircon? It takes forever for them to load through the cloud through smartthings atm

I doubt it since it currently connects to the cloud and not a SmartThings hub.

Are us SmartThings WiFi users still screwed?
Should I just buy a new hub and go through the pain of re-pairing everything?