How to add Inovelli into SmartThing in non-secure mode

I know this is not by design ,but how can you deliberately add in a Inovelli Red Series into ST as non-secure. I done it in the past , not on purpose

Name Inovelli Switch Red Series
Label Garage Lights
Type Inovelli Switch Red Series LZW30-SN
Version Published
Device Network Id 4C
Status ONLINE
Hub SmartThings Hub
Group Garage
Last Activity At 2020-12-22 11:07 AM EST
Date Created 2020-12-13 2:44 PM EST
Last Updated 2020-12-13 2:45 PM EST
Route This Device (4C) SmartThings Hub
Metrics * Received Messages From Device: 1033
  • Received Messages From Device (Duplicates): 135
  • Messages Transmitted to Device: 534
  • Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 0
  • Updated Time: 2020-12-20 5:18 PM EST|
    |Data|* networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S2_FAILED|

What I am trying to do is add the switch in but cause a S2 authorization failure during the last step

Tagging @Eric_Inovelli @erocm1231

Yeah this seems to be a recent change with ST that we just discovered in our own forum.

Before you used to be able to click, “Scan Nearby” instead of scanning the QR code and it would revert to non-secure, but it seems like this isn’t possible anymore.

@Kianoosh_Karami - we meant to reach out to you about this. Is this something that recently changed? We’re running into an issue now with Z-Wave Associations in that our switches are S2 but our bulbs use S0 so they cannot associate anymore. The trick in the past was to pair the switches via S0, but it seems like you can no longer do that.

2 Likes

I also tried this method from your website

In addition, I have couple Red Series switches right now that is added to ST but it operate in non-secure mode. I did not do this on purpose, just want ever reason during the add in process, it default to non-secure.

Metrics * Received Messages From Device: 152

• Received Messages From Device (Duplicates): 4
  • Messages Transmitted to Device: 97
  • Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 0
  • Updated Time: 2020-12-22 3:47 PM EST
    Data * MSR: 031E-0002-0001
  • networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S2_FAILED

So the question is how do I repeat this process?

Add the device using Scan Nearby. When you get to the scan the barcode part, don’t scan it and (I can’t remember the exactly what here) but cancel out of it or let it time out and the switch will add anyway as ZWAVE_S2_FAILED

OK, I will give it a try again. But I think I try that yesterday and let it timeout but the app display an error and ask if I want to try again. But I will confirm

Quick question, do I let it scan the network without or do I hit the configure button on the inovelli switch 3 times also?

Yes, you still have to hit the button three times.

I will try again as I am not sure if this is working. So to be clear, I hit scan nearby and let the app search. At which point, I hit the configure button 3 times. Am I expecting the app to pick up a device name “Z-Wave device” or should it say Inovelli as the name? I think it is picking a orphan devices in my network and not picking up the inovelli switch I am trying to configure

Ok, just did this with a Red dimmer.

Scan nearby and hit config 3x. It will show up as “Z-wave device”. Select to set up secure.

At the scan the barcode screen, let it run for a bit and then go back (I’m on an Android) . You’ll get a prompt asking if you want to exit secure setup. Say yes.

The app will look like it’s trying to exit secure setup but it never completes. Force stop the app.

When you go back in to the app, it probably won’t look like the device added. Go to Add Device again and Scan Nearby. The app will now report the device you just added as Z-wave device and it will let you rename it.

When I did this with a red dimmer, it added as ZWAVE_LEGACY_NON_SECURE. I’ve also done this with a newer Inovelli device using the same steps and that one always added as ZWAVE_S2_FAILED, or something like that. So your end network security level may depend on the device.

OK, let me give it a try. Also, what is Inovelli value for “zwtAssocGroupId”? Is it 1 or 2?

zwtAssocGroupId is used for Zwave association and AFAIK, is unrelated to pairing the device to the hub.

Sorry for not being clear, I am using Association ID to allow the evolve Aux switch to control the Inovelli switch in a 3-way configuration. This is why I need non-secure mode.

2 for on/off, 4 for dimmers, 1 is reserved for the hub.

Plus plenty of discussion over in the Inovelli forums.

weird, but I guess it does make some sense. I have two 3-way switches currently with the Inovelli red as the master and the evolve ltm-5 as the aux. In both cases, same wiring configuration where the Invovelli controlling both the line and load, and I pass the traveler over to the evolve as a source of constant power. In both cases, the evolve is associated to the Inovelli through the Samsung Web Util. What is interesting is that in one use case, the groupID was 1 while in another use case the groupID was 2? weird