(How) is it possible to track my SmartTag on Linux CLI?

I bought a Samsung SmartTag. My phone can find it and display it’s location.

However Samsung’s online website (https://findmymobile.samsung.com/) can’t list it.

Also Samsung’s SmartThings Windows app can’t support it.

So if my phone is in the bag which SmartTag tracks, I’m pretty lost :frowning:

Do I have (as developer) any other way to track it?

Currently, there’s no way to interact with the SmartTags at a developer level.

About those tools, I don’t know what could be causing the issue, perhaps, @SamsungZell could help us with that (please :smiley:)

1 Like

Hey there! I’d be happy to provide some additional insights for you in regards to your Smart Tag. Thanks for the Tag @nayelyz!

At this time, turning the Find my mobile setting on in Phone Biometrics for Find My Mobile Web Application and Find My Mobile application is utilized by the Smart Things Find Feature in Smart Things App to pull information from compatible Mobile Phones and Tablets to display them on the map.

The SmartThings Find uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and ultra-wideband (UWB) technologies to help users find select Galaxy smart tags, smartphones, tablets, smartwatches, and earbuds. Smart Tags would show up for Smart Things Find service, but not for Find my mobile.

Additionally, If your Mobile Phone has been set up in Find My Mobile and is in the tracked bag containing the Galaxy Smart Tag, you could utilize Find my mobile to locate the phone and smart tag simultaneously.

I hope this message finds you well!

^SamsungZell

Dear @SamsungZell:

Thank you for your message. Can you answer to this easy question:

How can I see my SmartTag’s location from my browser (without phone), via website I asked in the first question ?

Or, this website can track anything but not the SmartTag which is exactly designed to find things? :smiley:

Find my mobile web application will not display the location of the Smart Tag.

Unfortunately, at this time the Galaxy Smart Tag is a device that is NOT able to be located using a web-based browser.

It uses its own device handler that allows it to be displayed in the Smart Things Application as a device and tracked using methods of Smart Things Find Service.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

^SamsungZell

Thank you @SamsungZell.

I think this interests a lot of Samsung’s users, could you make some impacts on the decision-makers regarding this topic?

This is only a simple decision, and not a technical limitation. Worst-case scenario I can have an old samsung phone setup as gateway which constantly publishing my SmartTag’s location onto my server, but that would be pretty much waste of resources, and if Samsung is really into “making the world a better place”, they should really consider this.

Thank you!

You are very welcome! :slight_smile:

While there is no guarantee as we are not able to speculate about future products, updates, and services. I would be more than happy to tag and share this feature request with the team.

Thank you for your loyalty!

^SamsungZell

2 Likes

Thank you!

I guess this would interest more customers not just me. :slight_smile: