@jody.albritton
@posborne
@SmartThings
@Zach_Varberg
@Staff_Members
@SamsungZell
@SamsungUK

Folks,

On behalf of the many iOS users who have been logging cases trying to get a deficient and almost unusable iOS app fixed for months, please tell us what it takes to escalate our concerns and get things resolved.

Device statuses slow to update, network connection errors, spinning circles when trying to control devices, the need to let the app warm up for 30 seconds to allow devices to be controlled, widgets that don’t work properly, rooms that continuously re-order, devices within rooms that continuously re-order, devices constantly downloading… Hopefully the more recent issues with presence and geolocation, constant need to log in, persistent terms and conditions have all been resolved.

I’ve submitted pictures, videos, logs, and yet my cases go unresolved with no follow up and follow through.

PLEASE help.

Attached is the list of case numbers I have submitted as far back as July of 2021 for these issues:

A response and a pathway to resolution would be sincerely appreciated. Your support has proven they are not capable of getting to the bottom of these issues. I can’t delete and reinstall the app any more, and I can’t continue sending my phone model and software version.

5 Likes

Your frustration is understandable but your voice is being heard. As the support agent mentioned yesterday in ticket #1312380, this issue has been documented and escalated appropriately.

3 Likes

@Brad_ST
Thank you Brad, I am happy to hear this. Please forgive my frustration and low expectations, as I have been told before (reference case 1244363) that developers were on to some things with the app and were preparing a beta version for me to test, but that case died without any additional follow up. I will continue to be patient for resolution.

2 Likes

26 days and one new version later, and I still have persistent Network Connection delays and spinning circles when trying to control my devices.

@nayelyz
@jody.albritton
@posborne
@SmartThings
@Zach_Varberg
@Staff_Members
@SamsungZell
@SamsungUK
@Brad_ST

Sorry about that, @mooch91.
I already pinged the team again so they are aware of your comments. We’ll let you know in case I receive an update from them.

1 Like

Just to confirm, @mooch91. The new version you mentioned is 1.6.81 where the issue is still present, correct?

@nayelyz

Hi, yes it is - 1.6.81-611.

I’d be happy to provide additional information or support troubleshooting as needed.

Thanks.

2 Likes

@nayelyz
@jody.albritton
@posborne
@SmartThings
@Zach_Varberg
@Staff_Members
@SamsungZell
@SamsungUK
@Brad_ST
@alissa.dornbos

Can I get a check on case 1312380 please?

34 days and another iOS app release later and still issues with “Network Connection”, downloading controllers, spinning circles, etc. persist. Painful.

no need to tag Brad any more as he no longer works for ST :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for reaching out again. I have asked for an update from the team, once I know more or, in case we need more information, I’ll contact / share it with you.

1 Like

Are there any updates for the iOS app? I’ve heard nothing since submitting the latest case.

Did you ever get an answer? I can not even open the iOS app without it crashing.

1 Like

It’s infuriating how delayed the tile info is and how it makes you wait on everything you click. To make it more usable, I have switched to ActionTiles for the majority of my everyday monitoring and control. Super quick and updates accurately. I only use the app when I must add a device or such.

1 Like

Folks, to add, I’m now using the latest and greatest iPhone 13 Pro and the same issues persist with the app needing time to warm up before the “Network Connection” messages don’t appear. This doesn’t seem to be dependent on model of phone like some have claimed.

Following up on this matter, this is the feedback from the team:

The “network error” message you are getting when first opening the app doesn’t mean there’s a problem with the connection or the app itself, it is expected as the app takes a while to load and initializes all of your devices.
It should go away shortly after opening the app, but if you are seeing it isn’t going away on its own or persisting for an excessively long time please submit a new ticket to support@smartthings.com with updated logs and a video of the issue so they can take a further look into it.

@nayelyz

Thank you for the response, despite the fact it’s quite disappointing and has taken almost a year to get.

I don’t know what your team considers excessive, but an app taking 15-30 seconds to allow device control is an insanely long time for a system that is intended to automate and make life more convenient. With all due respect to you and the team, you have my prior tickets and videos (listed and linked above) which show the length of time I wait to perform a simple task with the app. I can submit no more. Especially now that it’s clear that Smartthings has no intention of changing one of the major deficiencies in the app.

I am using an iPhone 13 Pro Max, and the problem has gotten worse, not better. This on every device. I am always waiting for network to resolve. This isn’t home automation, it is SLOW AUTOMATION.

1 Like

What’s also annoying is the fact that applications that use the API load and execute very quickly.

1 Like

Fully agree. And that former versions of the app were quite fast as well. Those of us who have been around a while have seen the steady performance decline.

2 Likes

Huge performance decline with both the app and general ST delays and reliability issues.

It would be amazing if things were reliable, but I am tired of automations suddenly not working or working sporadically. I loved the new app and automation “IFTTT type” builder, but I’m going to move to HA.

As painful as it is to say goodbye, I need devices to work and work within a reasonable timeframe. I’ve invested enough money and time for things to not work consistently. Waiting seconds for a light to turn on isn’t cool.

2 Likes